Cost of Living in the Dominican Republic 2011

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Yanundu,

I agree with Robert as well. I've traveled several times to DR and have lived the local and tourist life. It's very expensive !! Yes, many people live on less than 500 dollars a month, but for them it's quite hard - specially when someone gets sick and always they ask for assistance or to borrow money.

I live in Ecuador,

/QUOTE]

I agree with you. Plus, you wrote LIVE in the sense of SURVIVE.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
We have obviously made some sacrifices like not being able to eat out regularly but we can still see the occasional movie but then again we have plenty of family to visit to keep the wife and girls happy. We are certainly doing more than surviving and we are living on around US1200 a month or so here. No I don't have a house or a car payment and I don't have to commute to work either so to make it comparable one might need to add another US600-700 or so to compensate. This is for a family of 5. Therefore, I'm just wondering how anybody can say the DR is expensive when there is no way I could live on this in Orlando where we used to live before.

The DR can be expensive if you want it to be but it doesn't have to be and you don't need to sleep in a crime ridden area and eat plantain three times a day.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Comparisons

I compare an up-market supermarket ( Lindo ) in LT with up-market in NY. This seems fair. I know that if I travel the capital its possible to buy much cheaper. Also other supermarkets in town are cheaper.
Plaza Lama when I was last there had onions 8.95 pesos/lb. Thats 25c. lb. The last I bought in Lindo were nearly double that.
US publishes lists of retail price averages.
Incidentals are also cheaper. In an nice part of Florida double Espresso coffee with milk may be 5 dollars ( thats 190 pesos compared with 60 in DR)and a croissant 2.50 dollars. A Pastrie 5 dollars plus.
Special breads are very expensive freshly baked in many parts of the US. 5-6 dollars for quite a small loaf.
Sandwich 8 dollars. In New York more maybe 12 dollars.
Here's a leaflet:
http://www.croissantime.com/Flier/Bakery Menu Flyer Sept 2008.pdf
This has the prices and they have been in business a long time.

I'm not talking about getting Dominican coffee for 5 pesos.

This is not fantasy!
:bunny:

Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Look this up folks - the price of fresh onions stateside!
99 cents a lb.
Carrots,squash, sweet potatoes etc. etc.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvwretail.pdf

These are official statistics.

A lot of the items are half price in the DR - and likely fresher also.

So your four cups of veg a day will cost maybe 1 dollar not two.

Yanandu

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Motorcycle

If you don't like Chinese brands there are Suzuki 100 cc for about 700 dollars on the road.
People who have businesses are moving to tricycles - here in LT there are some for sale.
Its a motor bike up front and 2 wheels at the back with an open loading bay. Just ideal for taking a pig to market. So much cheaper to run than a F150! Also good for diving equipment or a small dingy. Save the planet with good fuel consumption!

Thanks for the complement!

:bunny:
Yanandu.

Yan... it took a while for you to jump into this thread.... have you been busy? Some of the other members have been wondering what you might have been doing that kept you from the discussion. I'm glad that you're here to once more add your own brand of entertainment to the thread. :)

BUT... you say:
"... buy a 150 cc motorcycle less than 900 dollars brand new!""

Given everything I've heard and the little I've actually experienced, I'd REALLY like to see this one! I can order online a small 150cc Chinese made scooter online and have it drop shipped / delivered to my home here in the states for about $630 (close out model), or $800 or $900 (current model), but then I have to pay tax and registration on it, and then I have to do the "dealer prep" by tearing it apart and changing the fluids, plug, reset the valves, tighten all nuts and bolts (replacing many 'cause they're so crappy they can't hold their threads without stripping). It's my understanding that all consumer goods, especially motor vehicles, are heavily taxed with import duties and cost significantly more there.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This has been discussed a million times on this board. Rule of thumb if it has to be imported (i.e. Brand name NEW clothes, steaks, cars, TV's or electronics in general, gasoline, apples) then it will be more expensive than in The US, if it's grown locally (i.e. Plantains, avocados, mangoes, rice, cigars, Dominican rum) then it will most likely be cheaper. If it requires a lot of manual labor (i.e. washing and detailing your car, getting a haircut, nails done, shoes shined, laundry, ironing, pay for play sex) then it will be waaayyy cheaper in The DR...

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Drink more Pepsi in US - they make it there with corn syrup in DR with real sugar.
In the United States, Pepsi is made with carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, sugar, Phosphoric acid, caffeine, citric acid and natural flavors.
High Fructose Corn Syrup Dangers | eHow.com
In DR more sugar!
So don't buy cheap pepsi!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Look this up folks - the price of fresh onions stateside!
99 cents a lb.
Carrots,squash, sweet potatoes etc. etc.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/fvwretail.pdf

These are official statistics.

A lot of the items are half price in the DR - and likely fresher also.

So your four cups of veg a day will cost maybe 1 dollar not two.

Yanandu

Let's get back to reality... the reality of the 95% of the expats living in the DR, not the yanandu 5%.

Most of the fresh produce you see in the local market is not fit to export, that's why it's in the local market.
The good stuff is exported, as they can get a better price etc.

It's very easy to hand pick selected items and say they are cheaper here than in the USA.

But...

95% of us like to eat something different to yucca, la bandera and other staples of the poor every day.
So for that slice of normality, we pay and the prices for those food products are often more expensive than the equivalent or brand in the USA.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
So the onions at 99 cents in the US are so superior to those in Dominican stores at 25-50 c a lb!
Sorry Robert you are pulling my leg!
Much is good for local consumption - really fresh and some raised / grown by experienced ex-pats and sold from the back of a truck.
I don't see any difference normally between an export mango and one sold in the local market.
There are over 250 foods locally produced in the supermarket here - why are you a traitor to the DR and not spread the news this is true excellence and varied meals can be produced at low cost and at the same time supporting the local economy.
Including quails eggs even.
At the same time you encourage people to trash our planet by producing gross shipping pollution and running freezers etc.
But then normality for Robert is US junk food and cow meat that has produced gross pollution!
Where possible support other developing economies!
I buy quinoa for example.

Yanandu.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

LOL!!

If you look at the source of the article, it is the Dominican Board of Tourism. I doubt that anyone would believe that they are not at least a bit biased.

I really think that you do a disservice to people considering moving to the DR when you underestimate so grossly the costs of living here. I tend to be fairly frugal, but my food costs weekly are still between 1800 and 2000 pesos. That does include things other than food, however - such as cleaning supplies, laundry supplies and paper products.

That is far more than your estimate.

Jan 3, 2003
Yanundu,

I agree with Robert as well. I've traveled several times to DR and have lived the local and tourist life. It's very expensive !! Yes, many people live on less than 500 dollars a month, but for them it's quite hard - specially when someone gets sick and always they ask for assistance or to borrow money.

Is Ecuador cheaper than the DR?

BTW, I agree with YANANDU's posts.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, folks. there is living and living. one thing is to be hermit in a cave, live on little and preach to little brothers mosquitoes. i totally agree that living in DR on 500 dollars a month can be done. heck, even on a hundred, if need be, providing you live in a cave and eat fried locust. but forgive me for being demanding - i want better than that. i could live in a zinc tent in a middle of the campo but i want a normal home with all amenities such as hot water, decent power supply, internet and so on. i could eat off the floor but i'd rather use a plate. i could smear my face with geese grease but i prefer normal creams (btw, i buy many polish products and they are neither expensive nor fancy). i could spend my holidays watching paint peel off my cement floor but i really, really want to go to europe and see my family. a life i want, normal, average european life comes at a high cost.

as far as yanandu posts, i have a little story for him. greek philosopher, diogenes, famously lived in a barrel. less famously he still owned a slave but hush, no one ever mentions THAT. anyhow, diogenes wanted the simplest life and reduced his belongings to but a few (slave included, but shhhh). one day he saw a small poor boy drinking water from the stream using his hand as a cup. "this boy has taught me more than the wisest men of the earth" - shouted diogenes and threw away his own cup (kept the slave, but you know...).

you know, yanandu, some people in DR manage to live without internet. just a thought, right? just a thought....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
ok, folks. there is living and living. one thing is to be hermit in a cave, live on little and preach to little brothers mosquitoes. i totally agree that living in DR on 500 dollars a month can be done. heck, even on a hundred, if need be, providing you live in a cave and eat fried locust. but forgive me for being demanding - i want better than that. i could live in a zinc tent in a middle of the campo but i want a normal home with all amenities such as hot water, decent power supply, internet and so on. i could eat off the floor but i'd rather use a plate. i could smear my face with geese grease but i prefer normal creams (btw, i buy many polish products and they are neither expensive nor fancy). i could spend my holidays watching paint peel off my cement floor but i really, really want to go to europe and see my family. a life i want, normal, average european life comes at a high cost.

as far as yanandu posts, i have a little story for him. greek philosopher, diogenes, famously lived in a barrel. less famously he still owned a slave but hush, no one ever mentions THAT. anyhow, diogenes wanted the simplest life and reduced his belongings to but a few (slave included, but shhhh). one day he saw a small poor boy drinking water from the stream using his hand as a cup. "this boy has taught me more than the wisest men of the earth" - shouted diogenes and threw away his own cup (kept the slave, but you know...).

you know, yanandu, some people in DR manage to live without internet. just a thought, right? just a thought....

We have hot water, internet and screens. We eat homemade pizza and fried chicken once a week at least. I drink a beer everyday and my daughters go to a private school. This is running me around RD1400 a month and that includes my business expenses of flying back to the States once a year and keeping my licenses up to date. We are 5 people. I still have enough to give something on Sundays. Why do you guys insist on saying the DR is expensive?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
because every time i go on holidays i spend at least 3000 dollars (more than 5 if we go together).
because our weekly shopping is over 100 dollars and we do not even buy anything fancy.
because our cars (not fancy, not new) cost us more than 2000 dollars a year (petrol not incuded, this is free).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
We have hot water, internet and screens. We eat homemade pizza and fried chicken once a week at least. I drink a beer everyday and my daughters go to a private school. This is running me around RD1400 a month and that includes my business expenses of flying back to the States once a year and keeping my licenses up to date. We are 5 people. I still have enough to give something on Sundays. Why do you guys insist on saying the DR is expensive?

Chip, your part of the 5% crowd. Don't you mean US$1,400?

Early you said you are living on US$1,200 and that is with adding in rent or car expenses.

So lets add in another US$500 for rent and US$150 to cover car expenses.
Now we are at US$1,850 and you are still eating yucca and home made pizza.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
So the onions at 99 cents in the US are so superior to those in Dominican stores at 25-50 c a lb!
Sorry Robert you are pulling my leg!
Much is good for local consumption - really fresh and some raised / grown by experienced ex-pats and sold from the back of a truck.
I don't see any difference normally between an export mango and one sold in the local market.
There are over 250 foods locally produced in the supermarket here - why are you a traitor to the DR and not spread the news this is true excellence and varied meals can be produced at low cost and at the same time supporting the local economy.
Including quails eggs even.
At the same time you encourage people to trash our planet by producing gross shipping pollution and running freezers etc.
But then normality for Robert is US junk food and cow meat that has produced gross pollution!
Where possible support other developing economies!
I buy quinoa for example.

Yanandu.

I forgot the last time I ate junk food.
I do a lot of cooking and it's all fresh ingredients.
I'm guessing you're taking the same line of assumption about my eating habits as you do with living here, fantasy 101.

You cannot see the difference between an exported mango, onion or banana, then it's because you have never seen one.
I suggest you spend some time on farms here and see what's being exported and what's kicked back into the local markets.

Even the best local coffee beans are exported, Cafe Santo Domingo is blended from 2nd rate beans.
Sure, it still tastes good, but it's not the best. Just like most of the produce you see in super markets here.
If you would like a lesson in the coffee business, let me know, we have 1 or 2 posters on this board that know it inside out.
Also, if you would like another lesson after that about the export banana and shell fish business, we have that covered as well :)

Sure, I'm a traitor of the DR, that's why I have spent the last 15 years of my life promoting the DR to the world, touching millions of people.
What I will not allow is someone to post BS on this board and going around telling everyone the DR is a dirt cheap place to live.
When in fact, that will never be the reality for the majority of the people reading these forums.

Can you hear me now? jejeje

Feb 7, 2007
95% of us like to eat something different to yucca, la bandera and other staples of the poor every day.
So for that slice of normality, we pay and the prices for those food products are often more expensive than the equivalent or brand in the USA.

Even though - from time to time - (about 2 times per month) I like to eat some yucca..especially fried yucca instead of french fries and yucca puree is good, ....anyway,. at 3.30 AM , like ""NOW"", getting home from a party and somewhat slightly "intoxicated' (not really LOL), ANYTHING is good, even fried platano (fritos) with salami:tired: