Cost of using AC

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Evaporative systems work primarily in arid locations. Might work in the SW but not so well on the tropical parts of the island...

CaribbeanGent

May 28, 2012
We have a 3 bedroom apartment and run 3 seperate AC units each on about 72 deg pretty much 24/7. Last month our EDE bill was 15,451 pesos with a usage of 1379kWh. Pretty expensive.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Yupeski,
Set at 76F it will be on about 60% of the time! Ambient Temps on the North coast during the day are up in the 80F most of the time. Even on a day like this it is 79F acording to Sosua News!

Olly and the Team

yapask1

Jul 23, 2012
Yupeski,
Set at 76F it will be on about 60% of the time! Ambient Temps on the North coast during the day are up in the 80F most of the time. Even on a day like this it is 79F acording to Sosua News!

Olly and the Team
Many hotels have cards to enter/exit the room. Also possible motion sensors. If someone exits the room a/c off after 5 minutes.

yapask1.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Haven't been logging in lately, but wanted to welcome you back, Yanandu. Your attempt to use capital letters is duly noted.

Many hotels have cards to enter/exit the room. Also possible motion sensors. If someone exits the room a/c off after 5 minutes.

yapask1.

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
You seldom need a/c there - good elect bill is 25-50 dollars a month for 1 bedroom appartment.

yapask1

Ok guys here is a snapshot I took from the online calculator I used for our local Power company here in the Turks and Caicos Islands FortisTCI - Turks and Caicos Islands Power Company | Estimating Your Bill .

http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu31/turksman12/Miscellaneous/FortisBillEstimator.png

Just one of the many reasons I have to leave this place. Please note that here we get charged for the actual bill cost PLUS a fuel factor charge which is basically the same amount!!

So paying $600 a month for using 1854KW is a dream for me at this point!!!

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
We have a 3 bedroom apartment and run 3 seperate AC units each on about 72 deg pretty much 24/7. Last month our EDE bill was 15,451 pesos with a usage of 1379kWh. Pretty expensive.

You say expensive I say can't wait to move to the DR!! here is what you would pay here in the Turks and Caicos

Electric @ 0.26/kWh 358.54
Fuel Adjustment @ 0.2366/kWh 326.27

Total Current Charges: 684.81 in US dollars by the way

Can you believe this THIEVERY! We pay this freaking Fuel adjustment price which is pretty much the same as the ACTUAL BILL!!!!!!! DR here i come!!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Um.. just for comparison. I lived in a 6600 sq.ft. house in Arroyo Hondo with 2 Split A/C units, and a water heater, plus a big reefer, and only paid 1200 pesos a month.

Now I live by myself in a new 4br/4 bath apartment with 2 A/C's, and my last bill was 1645 pesos.

There's a lot of tricks you can do to conserve energy.

Please share!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Conserve" energy,OR,steal energy "JD"????
I live in Arroyo Hono. I paid ZERO for my electric bill for ten years.:)
I used the "Tried and True" Dominican way to do it, I Stole it!!!! :bandit::bandit:
For the past five years I have been paying. :cry::cry::cry:
THAT costs a LOT more.
I have 3 splits,and one through the wall unit.
Average monthly bill,15,000 pesos.
We are going with the new,"Inveter" splits as we replace the older units.
They cost about 50% more,but use around 50% less electricity.
Only time will tell?:confused::confused::confused:
I didn't come here to live like most Dominicans.
I want the "AIR" on when I,and my kids sleep.
We sleep soundly,wake up refreshed,and it keeps the house quiet at night,,and cleaner as well.
I prefer 68 to 70 degrees for sleeping.
Under a "Micro-Fiber" blankets,all stolen from Embassy Suits hotel in Juan Dolio!!!
They have really nice bath towels,pillows,and their cuttlery is top shelf too!
I have learned a LOT about how to live/survive here over the years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Last edited:

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
"Conserve" energy,OR,steal energy "JD"????
I live in Arroyo Hono. I paid ZERO for my electric bill for ten years.:)
I used the "Tried and True" Dominican way to do it, I Stole it!!!! :bandit::bandit:
For the past five years I have been paying. :cry::cry::cry:
THAT costs a LOT more.
I have 3 splits,and one through the wall unit.
Average monthly bill,15,000 pesos.
We are going with the new,"Inveter" splits as we replace the older units.
They cost about 50% more,but use around 50% less electricity.
Only time will tell?:confused::confused::confused:
I didn't come here to live like most Dominicans.
I want the "AIR" on when I,and my kids sleep.
We sleep soundly,wake up refreshed,and it keeps the house quiet at night,,and cleaner as well.
I prefer 68 to 70 degrees for sleeping.
Under a "Micro-Fiber" blankets,all stolen from Embassy Suits hotel in Juan Dolio!!!
They have really nice bath towels,pillows,and their cuttlery is top shelf too!
I have learned a LOT about how to live/survive here over the years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Cris you are a riot!!!!!!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I use 4 air conditioners ,,two in the bedrooms at night only and two in the livin rooms during the afternoon and early night and my electricity bill is now about 10 ,000 pesos every month ,,,In the cooler months when I only occasionally use the bedroom AC , it is about 1800 pesos every month

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
I use 4 air conditioners ,,two in the bedrooms at night only and two in the livin rooms during the afternoon and early night and my electricity bill is now about 10 ,000 pesos every month ,,,In the cooler months when I only occasionally use the bedroom AC , it is about 1800 pesos every month

Which area do you live in?

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
i live in turks also, one bedroom appartment with AC and everything electric = $300 per month, 2 bedroom appartment in sosua with AC at night mostly, gas for cooking, electric dryer, 2 kids = have never paid more than $200 per month

turksman

Mar 14, 2005
i live in turks also, one bedroom appartment with AC and everything electric = $300 per month, 2 bedroom appartment in sosua with AC at night mostly, gas for cooking, electric dryer, 2 kids = have never paid more than $200 per month

Nice! Cool do you live in provo? 300$ you must not be using AC that much.