COVID Passport Discussion

Jan 9, 2004
And if non-us airlines require proof of vaccination, then what?
A non-US airline that flies into the US is not exempt from a lawsuit.............

If they were, all US carriers would immediately offshore their operations.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
And you likely will need a negative COVID test to enter for some time to come.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
You don't have issues with proving that you're virus free at least according to testing methods that are not 100% accurate yet you have issues with those that choose to get vaccinated having similar benefits? Is that correct? Please explain and some links/data to back it up would make it more believable.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
You don't have issues with proving that you're virus free at least according to testing methods that are not 100% accurate yet you have issues with those that choose to get vaccinated having similar benefits? Is that correct? Please explain and some links/data to back it up would make it more believable.
Ah? Can you refraise your questions please?

Jan 9, 2004
You don't have issues with proving that you're virus free at least according to testing methods that are not 100% accurate
None whatsoever.........and I agree no testing methodology can make 100% guarantees, just as no vaccination can make 100% guarantees........and none have. A vaccine does not mean you are virus free............only that you have been vaccinated.

yet you have issues with those that choose to get vaccinated having similar benefits? Is that correct?
No that is not correct. I have no issues with that choose to get vaccinated.........that is their choice to make.

Please explain and some links/data to back it up would make it more believable.
I think that is pretty self explanatory and requires no links/data.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: NanSanPedro

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Too many tourist dollars at risk.

And do not expect the US to demand that US citizens have been fully vaccinated to return......no matter how many articles are posted. They will still however require a negative COVID test....

And the first airline that requires a US citizen to be fully vaccinated in order to fly into the US......had better prepare for the class action suit likely to follow.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
The US airlines are lobbying for a vaccine passport. They can set whatever standards they wish for flying. I doubt The Supremes will have anything to say on the matter. Airlines can set whatever standards they wish.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A non-US airline that flies into the US is not exempt from a lawsuit.............

If they were, all US carriers would immediately offshore their operations.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Why do you keep harping about US rules? This is a Dominican Republic forum. There ARE a lot of people on the forum that do actually live and visit the DR..........................

Reactions: Michael DR
Jan 9, 2004
The US airlines are lobbying for a vaccine passport.
If you are referring to a vaccine passport indicating that passengers have been vaccinated, they might get one, but they will not/cannot refuse to fly passengers who have not been vaccinated.............not without an Act of Congress............and that will not happen.

They can set whatever standards they wish for flying.
As long as those standards do not violate US laws.

I doubt The Supremes will have anything to say on the matter.
I doubt it gets to that level................,but if it does..............expect to hear arguments that raise the internment camps of WWII and a whole host of other constitutional discrimination issues.

Airlines can set whatever standards they wish.
Again, as long as those standards do not violate US laws.

In conversation with a commercial pilot, discussions have taken place by the airlines to identify the number of vaccinated people on a flight, as well as possibly creating a section just for vaccinated passengers, and creating both vaccinated only flights along with flights that will allow both. Again, discussions only as I am not sure how they would successfully implement any of these.

What US airlines cannot do without a change in US law that survives constitutional challenge is outright refuse to fly passengers who have not been vaccinated.

They want to fly and return to financial profitability as soon as possible..............and it may well take years to get people vaccinated globally who want the vaccine..........and they do not have that much time or money to wait.............unless the government is going to continue to provide massive bailouts for the industry.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Why do you keep harping about US rules? This is a Dominican Republic forum. There ARE a lot of people on the forum that do actually live and visit the DR..........................
Why do you care?

Does it upset you so much that I responded to Windeguy's reference to US airlines in post #27.

The thread is about a Covid passport. You know, as in a passport required for international travel perhaps to the DR from its most important tourist provider.

If it bothers you that much..........ignore the post.........unless of course you have other motives;)

Respectfully.
Playacaribe2

• Sad

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since the EU's Digital Green Certificate does is not needed for travel in the EU of what use is it at all?

Commissioner for Justice, Didier Reynders, said: “With the Digital Green Certificate, we are taking a European approach to ensure EU citizens and their family members can travel safely and with minimum restrictions this summer. The Digital Green Certificate will not be a pre-condition to free movement and it will not discriminate in any way. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_1181

Jan 9, 2004
Why would airlines forcing people to prove they are vaccinated violate any US law?

Proving you are vaccinated likely would not violate US law, although under the federal HIPPA laws there may be issues involving privacy of that information and a potential legal challenge there.

The more likely battleground issue is whether the US airlines can refuse to fly passengers who are not vaccinated, and that will likely lead to claims of discrimination, claims concerning those who oppose vaccines on religious grounds, and there is also an article advocating that they may violate the Americans with Disabilities Act;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: DR fan1990

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Winde that has already gone thru the courts with the Orthodox Jewish sector in the US. I won't elaborate due to TOS of DR1

Can airlines, restaurants, stores and stadiums make the vaccine a condition of doing business with you?

Yes, within the anti-discrimination laws mentioned above.

“They can decide to refuse service to you for pretty much any reason,” Reiss said, pointing out a policy most shoppers are already familiar with: no shirt, no shoes, no service.

People who are covered by anti-discrimination laws can’t just demand a business let them do whatever they want. The company just has to give you a reasonable accommodation, so a store might refuse you entry but offer curbside pick-up of groceries. https://www.today.com/health/will-covid-19-vaccine-be-mandatory-t190838
Airlines can absolutely legally refuse to fly you if they decide you need to be vaccinated to be on board. As is mentioned, no shirt, no shoes, no vaccination, no service. This will only have exceptions for very limited groups of people and I suspect they can submit proof of negative testing instead or just stay home. (Also, US States can mandate vaccinations for its citizens, the US Federal government cannot. )

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Most likely, countries will accept a vaccine passport or an antigen test for entry. For those that travel frequently, a vaccine passport will avoid constantly having to get a test. Certain venues within a country might be off limits for you if you don't have a vaccine passport or get, yet again, another antigen test.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Every Doctor I spoke to in both the DR and the US advised taking whatever vaccine is available to you. But the "experts" on DR1 were not consulted.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Proving you are vaccinated likely would not violate US law, although under the federal HIPPA laws there may be issues involving privacy of that information and a potential legal challenge there.

The more likely battleground issue is whether the US airlines can refuse to fly passengers who are not vaccinated, and that will likely lead to claims of discrimination, claims concerning those who oppose vaccines on religious grounds, and there is also an article advocating that they may violate the Americans with Disabilities Act;

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
The opinion above is that proving you are vaccinated may violate the law. Time will tell on that both for workplaces and transportation. I see no reason that airlines cannot deny service for lack of vaccination. A negative test may be a work around for those who are religulous.

Feb 7, 2007
Airlines can absolutely legally refuse to fly you if they decide you need to be vaccinated to be on board. As is mentioned, no shirt, no shoes, no vaccination, no service. This will only have exceptions for very limited groups of people and I suspect they can submit proof of negative testing instead or just stay home. (Also, US States can mandate vaccinations for its citizens, the US Federal government cannot. )
You mentioned reasonable accommodation of the store with curbside pickup. Wow what would reasonable accommodation with an airline look like? Flying in the cargo hold?