danilo wins the election

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Joseph: Should Felix el gato be in jail...most definitely (the same goes for tons of others from both parties BTW). Is he going to see any jail? Not for at least four more years. He's a Dominican senator, therefore has immunity from prosecution under Dominican law.

Feb 7, 2007
@ RE: Felix el Gato - Well if it is true what one of the posters said in this thread, if DEA is teething him, things might "just happen" ... maybe he will be kidnapped by some gang who will drop him off in Haiti where DEA will accidentally find him...who knows.

There is a saying in my country: The divine (God's) mills mill slowly, but they mill... (rough translation).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i hear that "this man is becoming tiresome, something must be done about it" worked for balaguer. but i doubt danilo can pull that off.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
@ RE: Felix el Gato - Well if it is true what one of the posters said in this thread, if DEA is teething him, things might "just happen" ... maybe he will be kidnapped by some gang who will drop him off in Haiti where DEA will accidentally find him...who knows.

There is a saying in my country: The divine (God's) mills mill slowly, but they mill... (rough translation).

While I would love to see that scenario I doubt the US is going to create a diplomatic nightmare by kidnapping a Dominican senator specially since he hasn't done anything wrong in The US AFAIK. I'm telling you the most we can expect to see is something akin to what Leonel did with Segura (ex-president of electric companies)...when the heat got too intense he "fired" him, but left him as "secretario sin cartera" for a while and of course he got to keep all of his loot.

It's been like this since I can remember. Back in the times of Balaguer there were a few of these guys. I remember during Balaguer's last few governments there was a guy who became his right hand guy (Not Bello...can't recall the guy's name) and was just like Felix and Balaguer would do nothing about it...and of course under The PRD there were all the crooks from around 1978-1986 and then during Hippo there was Eligio, Guido, etc...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Completely agree on the political patronage jobs that should be civil service jobs by now.

But is this really any different than Leonel still being in charge?

Minus his almost weekly trips around the world, of course.

The shadow of Leonel is still very much there. It's like Putin in Russia during his short period "out of office". Leonel will still enjoy his influence AND world trips at the side of his wife!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Back in the times of Balaguer there were a few of these guys. I remember during Balaguer's last few governments there was a guy who became his right hand guy (Not Bello...can't recall the guy's name) and was just like Felix and Balaguer would do nothing about it...and of course under The PRD there were all the crooks from around 1978-1986 and then during Hippo there was Eligio, Guido, etc...

what was it balaguer used to say? la corrupcion se detiene en la puerta de mi despacho...