Delancer becoming too slow to use

Adrian

Oct 22, 2003
most likely they selected plan without data cap or didn't update to a newer plans. for 2500 you can have 100M/75M plan.

delancer's data cap is 3TB - this volume of data is used up if you use 10Mbps nonstop 24/7 for 30 days. which is not the case for normal use.
Delancerguy, we have DeLancer cable with unlimited data and are generally happy with it. I did consider changing to a faster plan with a data cap, but I have no idea how much data we use monthly. Would DeLancer have a record of this for previous months, or is there any way of monitoring this in future?

Thank you.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
So you go over the 3TB monthly cap?
I have unlimited data, but with the tv being IPTV, two computers and two cell phones, I would probably go over yes. I can't risk it and not have service. I also have Altice backup data just in case Delancer goes down.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
this sounds like you have some device connecting over wifi that has bad signal and this slows the rest of your network. or as simple as change of wifi channel.
But the neighbors (who walk dogs with us) all report the same issue. And it's particularly bad on weekends. If it were a wifi issue it wouldn't be such an up and down issue.
I have a Wifi 6 router and it's the same whether I connect to my router or unplug it and connect direct to the Delancer modrm/router.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So a couple of months ago I was getting very tired of the Delancer internet speed, it was so inconsistent and would vary from 5mb to 15mb per second. I was paying for a 20mb package. So I spoke to Diomedes (who for me is the best employee at Delancer), and he recommended that I change to a fixed contract 105mb download and 75mb upload for 2500 pesos. It does have a 3TB limit per month and I was calculating how much we use (family of 4 all using smart TV's, phones, plus other internet based items at the same time) and we did not come close to 3TB. I do regular speed tests and the speed is always as it should be within 10mb per second. I just did one now and it was 94mb down and 73 up. Last night it was 108 down and 80 up. It is excellent. I am very happy with the internet I am getting from Delancer now and if you are now consuming huge amounts of data then I recommend this plan.
What happens after the 3TB limit?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have unlimited data, but with the tv being IPTV, two computers and two cell phones, I would probably go over yes. I can't risk it and not have service. I also have Altice backup data just in case Delancer goes down.
We have 3 laptops, one large tablet, one IPTV and 2-3 smartphones constantly online, streaming is used extensively and I have video meetings with a 60FPS/high-res webcam for hours on a daily basis... We've never come even close to that... In fact, we always stay between 1 and 2 TB...

Our modem also reports all the data we use, so I can monitor that on a daily basis, so I'm not guessing what we use, I know that and can check any time...
delancer's data cap is 3TB - this volume of data is used up if you use 10Mbps nonstop 24/7 for 30 days. which is not the case for normal use.
Quoting delancerguy: So you would practically need to do heavy streaming with a very high resolution (I'm not even sure if that's possible?) for 24/7 to reach this cap...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
But the neighbors (who walk dogs with us) all report the same issue. And it's particularly bad on weekends. If it were a wifi issue it wouldn't be such an up and down issue.
I have a Wifi 6 router and it's the same whether I connect to my router or unplug it and connect direct to the Delancer modrm/router.
When you notice that the connection is not working, please connect a short ethernet cable directly to the ISP router, restart your laptop, make sure you have no other software running and check the speed with speedtest... If the speed now is fine, it would not be a problem with delancer but the wifi your other device, as far as I understand. If the speed is bad, then it would be either the ISP router or the connection itself...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I have video meetings with a 60FPS/high-res webcam for hours on a daily basis...

Video meetings for hours?? I used to do a ton of video meetings with my other offices and never came close to an hour in any of them. What on earth is your job?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Video meetings for hours?? I used to do a ton of video meetings with my other offices and never came close to an hour in any of them. What on earth is your job?
My bad, I meant that I may have multiple meetings during the day, none of which come close to an hour (you are right), but all summed up it may be a couple of hours during the day. There are 2-3 meetings per week that may come close to an hour. Monthly meetings may be a lot longer...

My point was that with cameras on and screens shared, the download/upload amounts are decent...

I work in IT, team scattered all over the place but with an extensive number of video calls...

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
hi guys

every single provider established data cap - this is done so that users use low pricing for their own internet needs instead of sharing or reselling.

so let's say @chico bill says that his 3500 pesos plan is slow: i guess if i'm looking at pricelist 3500 pesos means you have 25M plan without data cap, why don't you switch to 100M for 2500pesos? or 200M for 3500pesos?

i have mentioned it before it's not about internet speed but wifi, wifi is not stable medium and many factors affect what speed you get.
if it's about delancer you would be measuing slower bandwidth over cable. if you have plan higher than 100M you should also measure over port 1 of the modem, some modems have ports 2,3,4 at maximum speed of 100M and port 1 at 1000M

mesh systems help a lot with wifi even more if nodes interconnected by cable. there are also dual band modems they may help in smaller house setups and you can ask about it at delancers call center. wifi has low strength signal is because nobody wants to cause cancer and also interfer with your neighbors's wifi.

cheers,

delancerguy
I have no known data cap on my current plan with Cable Del Norte which is currently giving me close 100 Mbits/s download and upload speeds:

And that is with three apartments and my wife and I as well as IPTV. Never hit a data cap I know of where the speed dropped.

Reactions: Kricke87

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
if you have just 1 wifi 6 router it doesn't solve problem with the distance or remote devices. mesh or controlled wifi systems would be solution. wifi 6 give broader speed to devices that support all features near by, propably less distance than wifi-2 network but higher speeds. and yet if you have older devices you still have to run in compatible mode which basically puts your wifi 6 to wifi 2 mode ....

this all speculation on my side - each case needs to be reviewed.

keep in mind maximum internet usage in the network is between 8pm and 10pm the rest of the day it's at least 3-5 times less. i haven't seen bottleneck situation in sosua. if you think you have a problem ask support to send supervisor to review your network.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Is a wifi 6 as finicky as a wifi 5? My wifi 5 barely goes through 1 wall.

trspencer

Aug 27, 2023
Sosua
I have 220/120, after I upgraded my plan i was still seeing pretty sketchy performance. I had my Asus router plugged into their device, but the Delancer ethernet port was tapped at 10mbps (which made my gigabit router pretty useless). Reached out via WhatsApp support, they sent someone out with a hardware upgrade and ever since I consistently get rated speed...and I'm on that thing all day for work (and stream content most evenings). It's been rock solid.

Concrete walls though....those are a pain. I bought some Eero devices from Amazon, one plugged it to Delancer and the other in the hallway between the bedrooms, those have been fantastic. I initially did the extender option, but didn't work nearly as well.

Reactions: delancerguy

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
wifi 6 is magical if all devices support it. it also adds one more band 6Ghz if your mesh/router is Wifi6SE.
but wifi 6 generally consists of 2.4Ghz working together with 5.8Ghz and 6Ghz. and it can detect exact direction where your device is and communicate at the same time with multiple devices and send data in correct direction. all magic stops if it has to be backward compatible :-D

2.4Ghz has maximum reach through walls - but minimal bandwidth
5.8Ghz has best bandwidth but almost no walls also has this thing that it runs on the same frequency as airport radar so when you turn on your router 5.8Ghz network takes 30 seconds longer to turn on because it's looking for interference with radar (funny situation in sosua about it)
6Ghz is very fast if your device supports it.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As I kindly tried to point out in post 27 that if there is something really wrong with the connection itself, it should be measured with an ethernet cable directly from the ISP router. Wifi as such, as far as I'm concerned, is not reliable source of information for determining potential network issues. One thing I would probably do as well is simply change the wifi password and check if that makes the difference, or if you have access to the router admin page, make sure nothing out of the ordinary is connected to your wifi.

We have a cable modem and a 2.5/5Ghz repeater linked via wifi to the ISP router on the second floor. Quite a few very thick concrete walls in between, but with this setup we're covered with wifi. However, for work, I only use wired connection so ethernet cable first from the cable modem to an 8 port switch and then another ethernet cable to the office. This gives me the exact bandwidth the we pay for the ISP, even a bit more. Even with the repeater, the wifi loses some bandwidth on the way.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
wifi 6 is magical if all devices support it. it also adds one more band 6Ghz if your mesh/router is Wifi6SE.
but wifi 6 generally consists of 2.4Ghz working together with 5.8Ghz and 6Ghz. and it can detect exact direction where your device is and communicate at the same time with multiple devices and send data in correct direction. all magic stops if it has to be backward compatible :-D

2.4Ghz has maximum reach through walls - but minimal bandwidth
5.8Ghz has best bandwidth but almost no walls also has this thing that it runs on the same frequency as airport radar so when you turn on your router 5.8Ghz network takes 30 seconds longer to turn on because it's looking for interference with radar (funny situation in sosua about it)
6Ghz is very fast if your device supports it.
I agree with everything here. Very good information. We only use 5 GHz at the moment in all devices, but that would not be possible without repeaters, exactly for the reason delancerguy posted.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I don't think I need to use a cable. I pay Altice for 200 Mbps and they give me 300+ wifi going through that wall.
I've got a couple of repeaters through the house, but honestly, the speed takes a hit when I connect to the repeaters. I probably don't have them configured correctly.

Reactions: josh2203

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I've got a couple of repeaters through the house, but honestly, the speed takes a hit when I connect to the repeaters. I probably don't have them configured correctly.
When we did the setup, all was fine expect that even though I was literally next to the repeater, my laptop or other device did not connect to the repeater but to the ISP router behind all the concrete walls... Not the case anymore, but had to learn a few new things...