Dichos, refranes y expresiones

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Don't know what it means, and I haven't used the word garabato in a long, long time.

By the way, Garabato Sackey was a legendary Dominican baseball/softball player.

In this case the word garabato doesn't means scribble, people in DR call garabato the wire where they hang meat to dry up on the sun.

The phrase is used by Dominicans when trying to say that something is still available but not because of lack of offer.

JJ

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
i do not remember seeing it before. usually dominican media use a phrase "en flagrante delito".
like here: http://eldia.com.do/detienen-47-personas-en-flagrante-delito-durante-patrullaje-mixto/

Yes, that is another option but to me with that expression the first thing that comes to mind is caught in the act (of a crime). A little journalistic style may be a factor. However, the meaning is essentially the same.

A few came to mind this morning that I use now and then:

Agua que no has de beber déjala correr

Para gustos se hicieron los colores- very common

A buen entendedor pocas palabras bastan

-MP.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Here's one for you: El caballo se amarra donde diga el dueno, aunque se ahorca.

Tie the horse where the owner tells you, even though it chokes.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
In this case the word garabato doesn't means scribble, people in DR call garabato the wire where they hang meat to dry up on the sun.

The phrase is used by Dominicans when trying to say that something is still available but not because of lack of offer.

JJ

I beg to differ. I asked my wife what garabato means, and she scribbled on her hand. Yes I always ask her words that I'm unfamiliar with.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I beg to differ. I asked my wife what garabato means, and she scribbled on her hand. Yes I always ask her words that I'm unfamiliar with.

Maybe same word used with different meanings in different areas of DR? Mr AE says it’s a piece of wood with a hook on the end that they use to grab the yerba (grass) to then cut with a machete.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
No todas las cosas son color de rosa. It is in a newspaper article I just read. Definitely a classic.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Some more I heard and read this week:

No buscar problemas donde no los hay- Simply a classic and I love it.

Pasar factura

A palabras necias oídos sordos- Following this expression would save a lot of unnecessary conflict.

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A toda solución le buscan un problema - not sure if it's an expression as such but my husband uses it to describe bureaucrats or negative people generally.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A toda solución le buscan un problema - not sure if it's an expression as such but my husband uses it to describe bureaucrats or negative people generally.

So that is what I call quejarse de vicio- complain for the sake of it.

Adding another common everyday expression:

Meter la pata- equivocarse- put your foot in it.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Just heard a popular one on the radio:

A mal tiempo buena cara.

We can all relate to that expression.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Often dichos, refranes y expresiones are common in a specific country or region. This concept certainly holds true in Spanish.

While browsing the web I just discovered this link. It has refranes typical of each Spanish-speaking country and many are common in the Spanish-speaking world in general.

https://es.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/El_Refranero_Dominicano

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a very common one in Spanish and English:

Uno no sabe lo que tiene hasta que lo pierde.

-MP.