Did you know it's illegal to walk your dog of an evening in Cabarete???

wight-boy

Nov 6, 2003
I don't think I've ever used the pitu entrance in 3 years, but yes I saw this afternoon A HUGE sign at the exit of the French Alley. It does indeed state No Domestic Animals, along with the classic no sleeping on the beach. All the police needed to say was it dogs weren't permitted here did you not see the sign? Rather than just telling us all to leave or be arrested. Another dog owner at Onnos was not instructed to leave.@snowbird44: I find it hard to believe you have seen no strays on the beach there were at least 6 on the one length of the beach I just walked no more than half an hour ago and more than 10 sets of people walking their dogs on leads. Maybe they hide from you? :bunny: If you are unable to work out how to host the picture please PM for my email address and I will host it for you. It is a truly great and I repeat HUGE sign. Just doesn't happen to be where I was.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Snowbird, it worked.

"PROHIBIDO: vendedores fijos o ambulantes"
Can that be true?
I feel bad for the handful of people that made their living that way, but it will certainly improve the beach experience.

"Prohibido: botellas de vidrio"
Presidente prohibited? No passing back and forth bottles of rum?
That will take quite an enforcement effort during semana santa.

No major problem for me with any of the rules, but the two above surprise me.

Last edited:

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I don't think I've ever used the pitu entrance in 3 years, but yes I saw this afternoon A HUGE sign at the exit of the French Alley. It does indeed state No Domestic Animals, along with the classic no sleeping on the beach. All the police needed to say was it dogs weren't permitted here did you not see the sign? Rather than just telling us all to leave or be arrested. Another dog owner at Onnos was not instructed to leave.@snowbird44: I find it hard to believe you have seen no strays on the beach there were at least 6 on the one length of the beach I just walked no more than half an hour ago and more than 10 sets of people walking their dogs on leads. Maybe they hide from you? :bunny: If you are unable to work out how to host the picture please PM for my email address and I will host it for you. It is a truly great and I repeat HUGE sign. Just doesn't happen to be where I was.

Ok, I didn't walk the whole beach today, but I was sitting at Pitu's for a while and didn't see any dogs. Let's not argue about that. Maybe it will take a while before people actually notice the new rules. I don't know if it will make a difference, but at least it is worth a try to keep the beach as nice as possible. I already noticed styrofoam cups and other junk. Really sad. I don't understand that the boys who are renting the chairs are not forced to clean up the beach a little better after the last sun worshipers are gone.
Remains to be seen what will be enforced or if we are back to the same old, same old????:disappoin

Werner

Feb 19, 2004
Didnt we all came here in the first place because the lack of rules?

I am a dog owner myself and many times brought my dog to the beach. Its a shame its not possible anymore at Cabarete beach but then again, I can take it with me to kite beach when I go out kiting.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p245/snowbird44/BeachSign.jpg

Here is the picture, but I don't think it worked. I can't believe I am that stupid. What am i doing wrong?
Select 4th option down, copy & paste.
IMG images for message boards
BeachSign600x450.jpg

G

gary short

Perhaps the cop just stepped on a large steaming turd, shat out by a big expensive dog......

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Man, that sucks.

I completely understand why they do that, but hopefully they will institute a leash law rather than prohibit dogs altogether.

I usually take my dogs past Velero where less people are. This because most people, Dominicans especially, are afraid of my dogs, so out of respect I don't let them off the leash on the main part of the beach. But to not be allowed to have lunch/a beer in Cabarete when I take my dogs to the beach? That blows.

Joe

PS: Presidente also comes in cans and rum also comes in big fat honking plastic jugs. But my question is this: as there is no recycling system in place, does it really matter if we're talking about bottles or cans? Or is it simply a safety/brawling issue where they don't want people gutting/braining each other with broken beer bottles? This seems arbitrary and poorly thought out, even though I agree with the idea of imposing some sort of aesthetic/sanitary/discliplinary standards on the beach.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Did anyone notice that on the sign, 2 nd from right, No Vendors. Sometimes I think their worse then the dogs, But everyone needs to make a living.

B

batich

They do not respect us any longer the way they are supposed to respect us.

And they do not treat us any longer the way they are supposed to treat us.

Things are really going bad and very fast here.

By hurting tourists/expats they cut their own hands.

Just five years ago they understood things correctly and Politur treated each gringo as VIP even in Boca Chica.

Are they total idiots? What are they doing?!

They are supposed to see and understand with whom they are talking!

I completely share your feeling, Jon, and your great wrinkled boy is probably the best dog in all North Coast.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
batich, this is arguably one of the most disrespectful posts that I've encountered on DR1. 'They' are people just like you and 'they' have no obligation to treat you with any more respect that what you treat 'them' with. Geez, some folks are still trying to crawl out from under a rock somewhere.

Yes, in terms of tourism the education is lacking (well, in terms of most everything but that's another story).

Looking at this experience with the dog, it seems as if it was not handled correctly - by both parties. Dealing with any branch of the DR law enforcement, there is just no way that argument, or putting yourself in an oppositional position is going to help you whatsoever. In this case, just seeing the facts from the original poster's point of view, it would have been better to start dialogue and ask since when are dogs not allowed on the beach? and is this rule new? and I'm sorry, I did not know. Then you will get some explanation and some dialog going and most probably in a friendly manner agree that since the dog is on a leash, we'll just finish our drinks and then take the dog home. Thanks for telling us. But bucking the issue by telling the enforcers of the rule that 'my dog is on a leash', invites controversy, and invites the tourist police to show their power. The tourist police do not want to come off 2nd best from an encounter such as this. They want to win and they have a job to do. In my experience, in an encounter such as this, they are usually open to a reasonable suggestion, if it is done in the correct way. Why make it more difficult for them, if they are attempting to enforce the rules as they are written down? In my experience, the tourist police on Cabarete beach have always been respectful, friendly and willing to help. But opposing them is not the way to go.

Sorry for all the dog lovers that walk their dogs on the beach. In my mind, this is a sensible rule. We've seen a dog threatening a 3 year old on that beach.

B

batich

Wrong guess , Chris!
Me personally I respect all people in my life equally high. Regardless of their wealth, skin color, age or gender. Be it a foreign minister or a waiter.

But to bite the hand that gives you - is plain stupid. I have not seen yet a single expat person around me who would treat a dominican without respect and unfriendly. And I know Jon personally - a most gentle and polite person you can imagine.

So, everything that was told to him and is done to us recently - is VERY WRONG/

There is such thing as
batich, this is arguably one of the most disrespectful posts that I've encountered on DR1. 'They' are people just like you and 'they' have no obligation to treat you with any more respect that what you treat 'them' with. Geez, some folks are still trying to crawl out from under a rock somewhere.

Yes, in terms of tourism the education is lacking (well, in terms of most everything but that's another story).

Looking at this experience with the dog, it seems as if it was not handled correctly - by both parties. Dealing with any branch of the DR law enforcement, there is just no way that argument, or putting yourself in an oppositional position is going to help you whatsoever. In this case, just seeing the facts from the original poster's point of view, it would have been better to start dialogue and ask since when are dogs not allowed on the beach? and is this rule new? and I'm sorry, I did not know. Then you will get some explanation and some dialog going and most probably in a friendly manner agree that since the dog is on a leash, we'll just finish our drinks and then take the dog home. Thanks for telling us. But bucking the issue by telling the enforcers of the rule that 'my dog is on a leash', invites controversy, and invites the tourist police to show their power. The tourist police do not want to come off 2nd best from an encounter such as this. They want to win and they have a job to do. In my experience, in an encounter such as this, they are usually open to a reasonable suggestion, if it is done in the correct way. Why make it more difficult for them, if they are attempting to enforce the rules as they are written down? In my experience, the tourist police on Cabarete beach have always been respectful, friendly and willing to help. But opposing them is not the way to go.

Sorry for all the dog lovers that walk their dogs on the beach. In my mind, this is a sensible rule. We've seen a dog threatening a 3 year old on that beach.

B

batich

batich, who is us?

"Us" -People who bring to the dominican population the money that they live on.

The local population and local businesses get money from tourists/expats, not from Dominican government.

It is deplorable that they seem to have forgotten about it.

If my knowledge of Dominican economy is not right please correct me and I will be obliged.