Directions from Santiago Airport to Sosua.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
"Using the route I described you can make it from El Choco to downtown Santiago in about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. No problem. The Luperon highway from Hache to Montellano requires 2 hours 30 minutes from here."

If you live on the West side of Puerto Plata that is a good route to take. NOT from Sosua.

"I have tried going through Moca, before I discovered that you could go by way of Tamboril or Licey al Medio much more quickly. Using the Moca turnoff on AP Duarte you're already 10-15 minutes from downtown Santiago. Then there's time spent between the turn-off and Moca, through Moca, and another 10 minutes to the turnoff to the mountain."

Going to and from the Airport which is what the conversation is about is closer going in this manner. Not to DOWNTOWN. There is a back way from the Airport that you don't even have to hit the Hwy to S.D.. Way faster.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Escott, You Have Confused the Posts!

If there is a back route out of the airport, great. As I have said, I have not been to the new airport. What I have posted is correct however in either case.

Escott said:
Using the route I described you can make it from El Choco to downtown Santiago in about 1 hour and fifteen minutes. No problem. The Luperon highway from Hache to Montellano requires 2 hours 30 minutes from here." If you live on the West side of Puerto Plata that is a good route to take. NOT from Sosua.
No, Scott. No.

Someone else suggested RD5 to Navarette. I did not. One more time. Between SOSUA and SANTIAGO:
  • 1hr15min - via Sabeneta-Tamboril Route
  • 2hr-2hr30min - via Luperon Highway (Car. Toristica) at Montellano
  • 2hr30min-3hr - via Puerto Plata-Navarette
Do what you like, but I drive it 2-3 times a week. We can both leave Sosua at the same time and I'll be in Santiago finishing up a nice meal at Ahi Bar while you're still yelling at a big truck in traffic. :: smile ::

Tom (aka XR)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The very shortest

Scott and I have taken the Moca route twice as I described in the post above, to the Cibao airport from downtown Sosua, driving normally...1 hour 5 minutes, door to door.
Via Yasica/Santiago, between 1 hour & 10 and 1 hour 15, depending on the time of day and the traffic in Santiago.
The reference to the Navarete route was in response to an inquiry leaving from POP.
Marco.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: Escott, You Have Confused the Posts!

XanaduRanch said:
If there is a back route out of the airport, great. As I have said, I have not been to the new airport. What I have posted is correct however in either case.

No, Scott. No.

Someone else suggested RD5 to Navarette. I did not. One more time. Between SOSUA and SANTIAGO:
  • 1hr15min - via Sabeneta-Tamboril Route
  • 2hr-2hr30min - via Luperon Highway (Car. Toristica) at Montellano
  • 2hr30min-3hr - via Puerto Plata-Navarette
Do what you like, but I drive it 2-3 times a week. We can both leave Sosua at the same time and I'll be in Santiago finishing up a nice meal at Ahi Bar while you're still yelling at a big truck in traffic. :: smile ::

Tom (aka XR)
Tom, you are simply wrong. We are talking about the Airport and not the Ahi Bar. You are just plain wrong. I am NOT talking about going past Navarete. That is ridiculas. Going over the mountain from the corner where Heche is will be the quickest way to Santiago but NOT to the Airport.

I take that way every time I go to AZB's house but the Airport is towards La Vega from Santiago right before the Moca turn off.

You can go 20 times a week and you are still not right about this.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I bet the original poster must be really confused by now.
Listen up man, just take the mountian road from hache and you will get to sosua in one piece.

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Thank you

Thank you Scott and Rocky. I really like "Carretera Turistica" landscapes. But as I said I travel a LOT to PTO PTA, and even though I enjoy the trip, once there was a BIG, Large, Rock in the middle of the way,..... a big landslide. Those days was raining hard in that area, and other day I remember the portion of the turistica with only a lane left , the other one was in the bottom of the abyss....:nervous: That's why I thought the comments about landslides and so could be true. anyway, thanks for your Info..
:cool:

P.S. Let me know if you like tangerines...there are many spots along the road where you can stop and buy some!;)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Re: Re: Escott, You Have Confused the Posts!

Been here, done that! Moderated by Tim H:cool:

Listen to the guy who was driving for you. Marco! He has it right! I just gave instructions from downtown Santiago, rather than from the Moca turnoff because I thought the airport was closer to downtown. The eastern pass though is much faster and much less dangerous than the other.

Tom (aka XR)

Last edited by a moderator:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002

If you live in Confresi part of Puerto Plata going the highway past the turn off to Navarete may make sense. Confresi is WEST of Puerto Plata.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a slightly better way

When you come out of the parking lot of the airport, turn left. When that road ends turn left again. Tha road goes into Licey al Medio. When it gets to the end (at the main drag of Licey), turn left again. Go three to five minutes and take the first right to Tamboril. When that road ends turn right.
Then follow the directions to Sabaneta

OR you can turn right on the main drag in Licey, go about 15 minutes towards Moca and turn left at the first main intersection, looking (Edited to read "looking" not 'liiking' sorry!) for a Texaco station (There are car lots all over)
And turn right when you get to the police station and can see signs for JAMAO

Good Luck...

HB

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
You can Apologize to Me later.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, y'all??

When is it agin thet y'all's comin' to et some road kill?

I be alookin' fer all y'all's ...hear?

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Of course

You can call me and if I am available I would be happy to meet you and servi as a guide...No problem, really...

HB

BE der

We all will be der on da 21stis of Novamber, bringin da beer and some wine, and sum good ole spensiv mapur surup from Canida for da rednecks, should be der a round da noon hour for da grits an possum belly.
Git dem der cigars ready HB, wud is a comin.

<embed src="http://umpyon.freehomepage.com/test.mp3" height="60" width="240"autostart="true" >

Last edited:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
OK Hlywud!!!!

Tell me how you did the music thing!!!!!!!!
It is so freaking cool!!!:cool::cool:

I'm waiting!
Thanks
Tim H.:smoke:

P.S. Being a Moderator, I copied some stuff off of you post, and I'm gonna go pollute a few threads!!!:bandit: :bandit:

Give me some more info on this PLEASE!!!!!!

Thanks
Tim H.

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Was So Hot!

Man, Wud! I have spent the last few days cleaning a stubborn virus off every computer in our network. For 10 minutes you had me going trying to figure what GD pop up or virus was playing that stupid music. Couldn't you at least have picked a good ol' Rock 'n Roll Midi?

Damn!

Tom (aka XR)

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tim,

If you're going to delete the posts, then please delete the erroneous information, too. Otherwise I'll just leave it alone and Barry can drive to Puerto Rico via Ferry before hitting the main road for all I care and blame it on you down there in Santo Domingo.

You've left Escott's post saying that my instructions are not correct, and killed the most lucid one showing that we were in agreement. That's not clarifying things as I was trying to do, it's confusing the issue. Guess you really didn't like those sailor jokes. Ah well.

Once more: There are three routes possible here.

1) via Navarette and Puerto Plata on RD5 which is way out of the way.
2) via the Car. Turistica between Hache and Montellano which is shorter on the map, but takes an hour longer and
3) via RD21 from the Car. Tamboril-Moca through Jamao to Sabaneta and the RD5 to Cabarete and Sosua.

That's all! You can turn right out of the airport entrance road and follow my instructions to get to RD21 through Santiago, or turn left out of the airport entrance as Marco and Escott suggested onto AP Duarte and then left again to Moca following there instructions. Either way you end up at RD21 to Jamao and Sabeneta and save an hour at least from going over the mountains through Yasica and Tubagua to Montellano. It's also safer, less traffic, and more scenic.

Tom (aka XR)

calamardoazul

Jul 29, 2003
Is that music, I was looking like an idiot, the source of that NOISE.
Well, are you going to explain how you did it? That "music" would kill all computers viruses, worms and so........:knockedou

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Tom, it is not that your directions are NOT correct to go to Santiago but they are not the best directions to the Airport. I know that since you don't know where the airport is that gives you license to start talking about me not driving etc etc but the truth of the matter is I drive and "I" know where the airport is and YOU do not! LOL

Have a nice night...

Your buddy
Scott

Oh and one last thing... I made it from Sosua over the mountain to Santiago by Heche in under an hour with Cris Colon, Robert and Gawd as my witness. I know you know better and know more but ask them instead of telling me.

Last edited: