Do-it-Yourself Temporary Residency Renewal Procedure

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
When I renewed my cedula in 2019, I paid 3000. Due to the Covid stuff, I did not renew in 2020 and 2021. I paid 5000 in 2022. So, that doesn't seem like paying for the missed years, but a fine and/or price increase. Maybe someone who has renewed on time recently can tell us what they paid.

Reactions: windeguy

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
When I renewed my cedula in 2019, I paid 3000. Due to the Covid stuff, I did not renew in 2020 and 2021. I paid 5000 in 2022. So, that doesn't seem like paying for the missed years, but a fine and/or price increase. Maybe someone who has renewed on time recently can tell us what they paid.
The lady who helps me with mine told me "Once you're in the system, you pay for every year; whether you do it on time is your choice."

Reactions: cavok and windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The lady who helps me with mine told me "Once you're in the system, you pay for every year; whether you do it on time is your choice."
That is indeed how I remember it being when I had problems caused by some loss of data, a fire, incompetency or whatever it was at Migracion and I could not renew for 10 years and had to do yet another 4 year renewal which then became "late" because of the issue. I paid even though their system would not allow me to proceed. That caused me to become a DR citizen instead of dealing with those meatheads.

JLSawmam

Sep 8, 2018
That is indeed how I remember it being when I had problems caused by some loss of data, a fire, incompetency or whatever it was at Migracion and I could not renew for 10 years and had to do yet another 4 year renewal which then became "late" because of the issue. I paid even though their system would not allow me to proceed. That caused me to become a DR citizen instead of dealing with those meatheads.
I agree that at Migracion for the temporary residency renewal, you get hit with late fees that end up being about the same as the annual cost for each year missed. But for the cedula, I am not so sure it is that drastic. Hopefully someone who has renewed their cedula recently can tell us what they paid.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
For those on the North Coast renewing or getting your cedula/residency, the medical is no longer available in Santiago. Only in Santo Domingo. I just found out today. My apologies if it's been mentioned before but I was not aware of this. Another step backwards for the North Coast.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The medical used to be available in Puerto Plata for a short while, too. I was thinking of applying for permanent residency this year but, when I discovered I had to go to SD to get the medical, I changed my mind. Plus, your "permanent residency" is only good for one year the first time you get. Too much time, hassle, and money right now for me.

Reactions: Seamonkey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
They're changed the procedure this year if you don't like the appointment date/time they give you. Instead of just another date/time being presented, you have to tell them the reason for rejecting the date/time - and then wait for a reassignment. Even worse, two days later I received an automated phone call from DGM with a new date/time. I didn't recognize the phone number and didn't understand the message completely. I tried to get an operator, but was disconnected. I speak fairly good Spanish. For most expats that don't, this isn't going to work out well at all for them.

Reactions: zeferus

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
They're changed the procedure this year if you don't like the appointment date/time they give you. Instead of just another date/time being presented, you have to tell them the reason for rejecting the date/time - and then wait for a reassignment. Even worse, two days later I received an automated phone call from DGM with a new date/time. I didn't recognize the phone number and didn't understand the message completely. I tried to get an operator, but was disconnected. I speak fairly good Spanish. For most expats that don't, this isn't going to work out well at all for them.
Welcome to the "Residency Merry Go Round". Get Citizenship and be done...............

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
For those on the North Coast renewing or getting your cedula/residency, the medical is no longer available in Santiago. Only in Santo Domingo. I just found out today. My apologies if it's been mentioned before but I was not aware of this. Another step backwards for the North Coast.
Renewed my residency twice and never had to do a medical...??? All online without the lawyer.... funny the only people that ever had problems with renewing used a lawyer.... you should see all the lawyers in immigration is SD arguing with them.... lol ....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Renewed my residency twice and never had to do a medical...??? All online without the lawyer.... funny the only people that ever had problems with renewing used a lawyer.... you should see all the lawyers in immigration is SD arguing with them.... lol ....
No medical is required to renew temporary residency - only when you go from temp to permanent. No need for a lawyer to renew. Very simple online procedure.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Renewing a permanent residency requires a medical each time.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Renewing a permanent residency requires a medical each time.
I've never done one, amigo. But I always use a friend who used to work there for many years so that may have something to do with it.
The last time she was in the states, so she sent her daughter, who should probably be competing in the Miss Universe contest. What a knockout.

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
When you do the medical stuff they will make you do more tests if they find something (happened to me). If it is drugs they give you a second chance to do the blood work (happened to a friend of mine). Good thing is the last renewal I did for 10 years I didn't have to do medical. I said a big shuwee. I didn't want to have to go through all the diagnostics stuff again.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The only reason to go to SD for medicals or to renew your residency and get your cedula is because the country is so corrupt, they don't trust other doctors or DGM substations to do it.

You're basically going all the way to SD to have your foto taken, scan your fingerprints, and print out a residency card. Same at JCE. That could be done anywhere there's a JCE and a DGM substation.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The only reason to go to SD for medicals or to renew your residency and get your cedula is because the country is so corrupt, they don't trust other doctors or DGM substations to do it.
The ugly truth.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

You're basically going all the way to SD to have your foto taken, scan your fingerprints, and print out a residency card. Same at JCE. That could be done anywhere there's a JCE and a DGM substation.
No argument but what makes the SD doctors so honest_