Do not buy water in plastic if exposed to the sun

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Agua-Embotellada-expuesta-al-sol-Listin-Diario-1024x684.png

If you were not already aware, the water in five-gallon bottles stored in the sun can be toxic. A headline story in Listin Diario alerts Dominican consumers to the reality that the water stored outdoors for purchase could be contaminated. Originally, water companies bottled the water in glass, but the bottles would break and were heavy and this was replaced by PET. Listin Diario reports the bottles sell for RD$35 to RD$95.

Listin Diario reports that some businesses take efforts to shade the water bottles. Yet, another reality is that most of the water bottles are transported in trucks that already expose the bottles to the sunlight.

Scientific research shows that the effects of drinking bottled water that could be contaminated are accumulative, reports Listin Diario. Likewise, the hot temperatures facilitate the proliferation of bacteria inside the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Sloan

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
wifey always warned me about this....guess she was right. (again)

But it's hard to find store keepers that make a concerted effort to place their bottled water stands in the shade.

Ignorance is bliss -

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
Does not really matter ! If you really care, spent 1,200 RD$ and bring a sample of any 5 gl water to a Accredited Food Lab for microbiological testing
and you will never look at this bottles the same i guarantee you. Just tell them it comes from your own Water dwell otherwise the results will come out clean.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
How many Dominicans have died so far because of this?
Good Question. I think they are pretty imun to this kind of shit. If you go to the south, they sell fishes, hanging in the air on the side of the road for an entire day and nobody seems to die eating them.
I guarantee you that if one of us gringos would even touch one of this fishes we would end up in the EU.

• Love

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Good Question. I think they are pretty imun to this kind of shit. If you go to the south, they sell fishes, hanging in the air on the side of the road for an entire day and nobody seems to die eating them.
I guarantee you that if one of us gringos would even touch one of this fishes we would end up in the EU.
Yea but remember they cook the shit out of it. It's the same with the open air markets in Haiti. Meat, poultry, and fish out all days with tens of thousands of flies. All of it cooked well done.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I run all my bottled water through a Berkey filter when I am in the DR. There was a study done years ago that said that 30% of the big blue bottles were found to be contaminated,it was posted on DR1 but I can't find it.

Reactions: David B and Sloan

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
How many Dominicans have died so far because of this?
Microplastics increases the development of cancer and might cause inflamations.
Add to smoking, alcohol, sugar, starch, bread, skin exposed to intensense sun, particulate matter from diesel, pollution from gasoil, pollution from car tyres, burnt grill food,, interior color of cans.
And drugs and mrna injections, many types of drugs,...
The list is endless.

All of the above shortens life expectation. But then, not drinking water on a hot day more than not.

Alexander

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Add to smoking, alcohol, sugar, starch, bread, skin exposed to intensense sun, particulate matter from diesel, pollution from gasoil, pollution from car tyres, burnt grill food,, interior color of cans.
The list is endless.

All of the above shortens life expectation. But then, not drinking water on a hot day more than not.

Alexander
Good post Fuchs4D. In today’s world, every time we put our feet on the floor and rise to live our day, we expose ourselves to toxins without thinking about it. Life in the DR would be very limited if we worried about it constantly.

My number one concern is the haphazard application of pesticides and herbicides in the DR. I stay well away from any areas where they are being sprayed. They use chemicals in the DR that aren’t legal in certain countries. I watched two guys on a moto, one driving and the other holding a pesticide application back pack cruising around a densely populated tourist area with people sitting at outside cafe. They were fogging the hedges and plants in the area. The fog drifted towards the tourist area and I exited quickly because I knew what it contained. That’s just one of many incidents I’ve observed.

The bacteria in the water bottles is a concern. That can be filtrated out or treated. The release of VOC’s into the water contained in the bottles is a much greater concern, especially the ones identified as carcinogenic. Not as easy to filtrate.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009
The list is endless.

Alexander
I WONDER HOW I MADE IT SO FAR ! .....growing up chewing on wood toys coated with lead Paint. Eating apples and other fruits that were sprayed with cyanid. From age 8 to 16 stoping cars and taking rides with strangers to visit friends or family miles away. Making it home safely just to watch television with my parents that were smoking so much that i hardly managed to see the movie in front of me and did i mentioned that after surviving all that we went to swim in lake's and River's totally alone without any lifeguard for hours. I could continue this list forever.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
For decades Dominicans without driver licenses have been killing their own people in motorcycle and motor vehicle accidents, deep fat frying anything in soybean oil, the lowest common denominator of oils. The national police and the public forces move outside of the written laws in the name of the highest bidder, the colmados sell poisonous snacks from china to children, soda and low end juice packets are consumed as water, the poisonous powdered laundry detergents are obligatory because no one can afford a safe product, and Haitians regularly hack up Dominican foes, but the botellones are gonna be the end!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Even if when you buy the plastic bottles (of anything really) and they are inside, you have no idea if and how long they were out in the sun previously. I guess that can apply to anything you buy, you do not know the previous conditions/environment of most any product.

Manuel01

Apr 1, 2009

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
My goto has been Crystal for years. I had a sample of it tested years ago and the results were fine. My biggest complaint with them is their distribution network.

M4kintosh

May 23, 2023
Santiago De Los Caballeros
Those are the only two brands I will buy, I didn’t know who owned them
The biggest players:

Planeta Azul = Vicini since 2019. They made a hostile takeover from the Santos Berroa family (the original owners).
Agua Crystal = Bonnetti and Diez families.

The rest are just pure regional, provincial or even neigborhood type brands by tons of different owners: Cascada, Xtra, Sasino, Saona, Pensakola, tons of them etc

Reactions: AlterEgo

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
I run all my bottled water through a Berkey filter when I am in the DR.

That,👆.... along with the 4-in-1 TDS Meter Digital Water Tester and boiling, seems to do the trick according to our doctor friend. If the tester turns green, then filter and boil, and you should be okay. If the tester is red, like it is for tap water here, we don't even bother.

But if you are still alive...keep doing what you are doing ....🙂

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
For decades Dominicans without driver licenses have been killing their own people in motorcycle and motor vehicle accidents, deep fat frying anything in soybean oil, the lowest common denominator of oils. The national police and the public forces move outside of the written laws in the name of the highest bidder, the colmados sell poisonous snacks from china to children, soda and low end juice packets are consumed as water, the poisonous powdered laundry detergents are obligatory because no one can afford a safe product, and Haitians regularly hack up Dominican foes, but the botellones are gonna be the end!

There it is! Welcome back EHM.

• Haha
Reactions: El Hijo de Manolo