Do you think the heavy handed moderation on this board and particulary this North Coast section is stifiling participation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rover

Aug 19, 2007
Many of time there is a thread that is really interesting to me and a mod wil shut it down. For instance there have been many of threads as a result of a news story and in between news updates people will begin cajouling and speculating which I find interesting and sometimes may partake in and then suddenly a mod will declare the thread has gone off topic and close it many of times when the thread is at its peak participation. Nobody is arguing or fighting just chewing the rag so to speak.

I just think this heavy handed moderation makes the board less fun and personable and strictly speaking for myself has deterred my participation.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I don't agree. I also don't agree with the mods all the time either, but at the same time their job is fairly thankless.

To me, they are trying to avoid things like "you're a poo-poo head" and "you're the biggest douche bag in the history of the universe," things like that. I know I don't like to read things like that and generally gloss over them. However, I've also been guilty of doing the same thing.

I have no complaints and if I did, I could vote with my feet...or keyboard.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I have the feeling the forum is going to start to grow again from now.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Well I recently got a thirty day ban for talking about American politics when I didn't talk about American politics ( moderator with an itchy trigger) however I was probably off topic. Not an easy job being a moderator.

Reactions: ctrob and aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Whatever you do, don't say anything about the US unless it is directly related to the DR.
I understand it’s not just the US but any other country so posters don’t go of on a tangent about how life is in Colombia or Cuba with Haiti being the only other country than the DR which posters can post about. Was that right?

Reactions: OldSkool

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Whatever you do, don't say anything about the US unless it is directly related to the DR.

For those of us who aren't from the US it is incredibly boring and irrelevant when people start talking about life in the US, so I think it's excellent when the mods put a stop to this. I also think that DR1 is very loosely moderated in comparison with other forums that I participate on.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I understand it’s not just the US but any other country so posters don’t go of on a tangent about how life is in Colombia or Cuba with Haiti being the only other country than the DR which posters can post about. Was that right?
Basically, yes, but they'll let things drift a little further on other countries than the US. I'm nervous just typing the letters "US".

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Unfortunately there are a few posters who take threads in the wrong direction. We have all been guilty at one time or another going a bit off-topic on a thread. But there a few here who just can't stop. It gets old and tiring seeing the same few who continually make threads about their opinions. And many times it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. So before asking the question about moderation of the board, maybe ask why do the same few continually do the same thing over and over. Same insults, rants, etc... That is just my opinion.

Mariahboater

SHIPWRECKED
Aug 7, 2020
Ontario
Many of time there is a thread that is really interesting to me and a mod wil shut it down. For instance there have been many of threads as a result of a news story and in between news updates people will begin cajouling and speculating which I find interesting and sometimes may partake in and then suddenly a mod will declare the thread has gone off topic and close it many of times when the thread is at its peak participation. Nobody is arguing or fighting just chewing the rag so to speak.

I just think this heavy handed moderation makes the board less fun and personable and strictly speaking for myself has deterred my participation.
It's all about the Benjamin! No ads no board.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Yes..........

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
It's a thankless job and they can have it. Like most things though it's well worth doing to your best abilities, and knowing when to leave it to the next volunteer is an art. It's not a life long commitment. Mods are clearly needed which is easily seen with all the bickering, name calling and fighting when they're not all over the threads doing what is needed. The inmates like to act out if not supervised and of course they whine about it when they are getting moderated. Ultimately those that need the most moderating do the most complaining like in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.