Do you think the heavy handed moderation on this board and particulary this North Coast section is stifiling participation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I understand it’s not just the US but any other country so posters don’t go of on a tangent about how life is in Colombia or Cuba with Haiti being the only other country than the DR which posters can post about. Was that right?
I think the mods have an impossible job. There was a thread a couple of days ago comparing the DR to Colombia which is rather hard to comment on without being able to talk about Colombia. I am all for getting rid of the mindless bickering, however some topics comparing the DR to other countries can be quite interesting until they get shut down.

Last week there was a thread about a guy getting robbed in a fake Publico. I was aware how another country easily solved that problem but didn't comment because I might get in trouble for going out of bounds talking about Jamaica. Surely somebody would have been interested in the solution.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
It has become "fearful" to post as the reality is much of what goes on in the DR and Haiti has direct roots to USA P0/!t!($. Many that think these mod rules are bad probably won't even comment.

Reactions: twoinsosua

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Their job is often like herding cats. People post ridiculous, immature, insulating, disgusting things. A lot of it gets deleted before many of us even see it.

Heavy handed is what happens when people can’t be decent and no wonder some mods might jump the gun considering all the nonsense they have to “moderate/tolerate”.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The one person who was HEAVY handed at Moderation is no longer here Although she seemed like a really Cool person probably off the board , someone you could have a drink with and chat .. she was somewhat of a tyrant at times ..
.. the Mods today are very very fair ,, Although I am surprised sometimes about how they select which comments to delete and which ones actually stay up .

In all the years here ,, I still don't understand this concept of " going off topic " as as some kind of perceived Etiquette VIOLATION .. Just put the people you dont like on IGNORE, and you wont see their comments ... The internet is filled with Vile People , even on Facebook . .. you know what ,dont engage them , ignore them ..
Have enough self control to put the people who rub you the wrong way on IGNORE , done and done ,as Ramsay the Chef would say .

And some of the same people Preaching , Some of y'all have run off People you would give your right arm to hang out with .. Real Wealthy , Movers and shakers have come here to post,, once in a blue moon, and some of y'all talked to them like they were nothing .. you WISH you had their Lives , or were invited to their Parties .
I agree we should all just practice being nice to each other .. myself included . but when someone is tying to be humorous , does not necessarily mean they are "bullying" you .many times it actually means they think you are worthy of having a dialogue with ..

just saying .

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
The one person who was HEAVY handed at Moderation is no longer here Although she seemed like a really Cool person probably off the board , someone you could have a drink with and chat .. she was somewhat of a tyrant at times ..
.. the Mods today are very very fair ,, Although I am surprised sometimes about how they select which comments to delete and which ones actually stay up .

In all the years here ,, I still don't understand this concept of " going off topic " as as some kind of perceived Etiquette VIOLATION .. Just put the people you dont like on IGNORE, and you wont see their comments ... The internet is filled with Vile People , even on Facebook . .. you know what ,dont engage them , ignore them ..
Have enough self control to put the people who rub you the wrong way on IGNORE , done and done ,as Ramsay the Chef would say .

And some of the same people Preaching , Some of y'all have run off People you would give your right arm to hang out with .. Real Wealthy , Movers and shakers have come here to post,, once in a blue moon, and some of y'all talked to them like they were nothing .. you WISH you had their Lives , or were invited to their Parties .
I agree we should all just practice being nice to each other .. myself included . but when someone is tying to be humorous , does not necessarily mean they are "bullying" you .many times it actually means they think you are worthy of having a dialogue with ..

just saying .
Interesting perspective. Although I understand moderating off topic is to keep the forum being about DR related topics.

Reactions: OldSkool and jd426

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Unfortunately there are a few posters who take threads in the wrong direction. We have all been guilty at one time or another going a bit off-topic on a thread. But there a few here who just can't stop. It gets old and tiring seeing the same few who continually make threads about their opinions. And many times it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. So before asking the question about moderation of the board, maybe ask why do the same few continually do the same thing over and over. Same insults, rants, etc... That is just my opinion.

Because this is the only place that anyone listens to what they are saying maybe?

Reactions: kanson

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I just think it seems more civilized recently. Thanks to the moderators. Hard work I imagine and they do it voluntarily.

I think it got 100% better since AlterEgo put her foot down and did something about the ranting. I believe it was turning into a board with three or four people railroading their (normally incorrect) views on anything and everything and telling everyone who disagreed with them to shut up. And everyone else was scared to post. I personally was told I was "full of sh**" by one of them for example, that's hardly going to encourage anyone to want to post. We are now getting back to the old DR1 with more people posting, more civilised debate, a range of opinioins. It's a much more interesting board now and I hope people do come back. That's why IMO good moderation is essential.

Aug 21, 2007
I think it got 100% better since AlterEgo put her foot down and did something about the ranting. I believe it was turning into a board with three or four people railroading their (normally incorrect) views on anything and everything and telling everyone who disagreed with them to shut up. And everyone else was scared to post. I personally was told I was "full of sh**" by one of them for example, that's hardly going to encourage anyone to want to post. We are now getting back to the old DR1 with more people posting, more civilised debate, a range of opinioins. It's a much more interesting board now and I hope people do come back. That's why IMO good moderation is essential.

Once again, I agree with you. I have not one single complaint about the Mods. Am glad that they have offered their time to do this thankless job. I enjoy reading parts of dr1 every day. It wasn't always that way. Now, it is more informative and enjoyable because of the good job the mods do with a fair approach and consistent hand.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Many of time there is a thread that is really interesting to me and a mod wil shut it down. For instance there have been many of threads as a result of a news story and in between news updates people will begin cajouling and speculating which I find interesting and sometimes may partake in and then suddenly a mod will declare the thread has gone off topic and close it many of times when the thread is at its peak participation. Nobody is arguing or fighting just chewing the rag so to speak.

I just think this heavy handed moderation makes the board less fun and personable and strictly speaking for myself has deterred my participation.
"Suddenly a mod will declare the tread has gone off topic"! Contrary to your opinion I believe that far too many posts overstay their welcome. IMO mods are trying to be sensitive by not sticking a fork in the well overdone meat.Sure there are posts one "finds interesting and partakes in", but if you have not gotton your points across after 3-4 months, wouldn't you think this is a "hung jury". What gain can be had by prolonging "opinions" of other people?
Can you give an example of "closed...many times when the tread is at its' peak participation"? I suppose you might use this post as an example, as this subject will grow whiskers real fast. And really, who has time to be"just chewing the rag"? It's a beautiful day out there for the beach and a round of golf.:)

Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A little clarification. Each moderator handles their forums as they see fit. Some have more tolerance than others and some forums require stronger moderation (Legal, for example). I had to smile at the OP complaining about North Coast moderation, because JD is super tolerant.

Off topic doesn’t only mean “not about DR”. It also means a post that has nothing to do with the particular thread it’s posted in. For example, a thread about digging a well goes sideways when someone posts about a guy who damaged his wall with his truck when installing the pump, and now the thread is about wall repair, insurance and retaliation, and how careless Dominicans are.

Without the mods, there would be no forums

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Perhaps you could list all the closed threads that have you upset.
When I scroll through the north coast forum list the last thread closed by a moderator was in June.
I may be wrong, but even though he mentioned this particular forum I don't think Rover was referring to the North Coast forum when he spoke about a thread being closed.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Some of y'all have run off People you would give your right arm to hang out with .. Real Wealthy , Movers and shakers have come here to post,, once in a blue moon, and some of y'all talked to them like they were nothing .. you WISH you had their Lives , or were invited to their Parties .
I don't see why "Real Wealthy Movers and shakers" deserve any more respect in the conversation than anyone else. Maybe you wish you could hang out with them or were invited to their parties, but I don't. I prefer to treat everyone with the same level of respect, on this forum and elsewhere, whatever their "social status".

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Of all the forums I belong to DR1 has the most flexibility. I'm not sure if its because of the multitude of topics discuss here but the mods seem really fair. If you want to show your brilliance (or ignorance) on topics not related to the DR there are thousands of forums to go to. Why on earth bring the rest of the worlds crap here.

Even thou I was a regular on the off topic US politics thread I cant say I miss it. It was funny AF most times listening to peoples heads explode but it had zip to do with the Dominican Republic.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Jan 9, 2004
I don't see why "Real Wealthy Movers and shakers" deserve any more respect in the conversation than anyone else. Maybe you wish you could hang out with them or were invited to their parties, but I don't. I prefer to treat everyone with the same level of respect, on this forum and elsewhere, whatever their "social status".
I think you missed his point............I took it as sarcasm.

While I will let him clarify what he meant, it appears to be one, or a consolidation of reasons some have posted over the years about all those posters who no longer post..........and how important/smart/wealthy/valuable (you pick the adjective) they were.

Posts like those are not new to DR1, but are generally posted by a disgruntled poster...........for whatever reason.

As to the poster who mentioned getting back to the old DR1...................those of us who began reading the board a long time ago (late 90's)...............can tell you unequivocally, you do not want to go back to that DR1...............that was true insanity......that would make the current DR1 seem like Sunday school.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: jd426

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I feel very strongly both ways. It was far more colorful before.

Today, it is mostly replaced by other social media like Facebook.

Status
Not open for further replies.