Does anybody else agree with me....

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i just wanted to say that dominicans are everything but THE. neither the nicest not the nastiest. i'd say they are very average. i deal with dominicans on daily basis, from rich to the poor, from educated to illiterate. some are nice, some are nasty.
i have met absolutely great folks in europe too. and some of really crappy too.
maybe i prefer to see DR with a bit of a balance.

PP is a tourist town, things are different.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
darn, chip, stop with this "POP is a tourist town". i travel to SD and santiago often enough and it's the same lame boring tepid stuff. dominicans are by no means special.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
darn, chip, stop with this "POP is a tourist town". i travel to SD and santiago often enough and it's the same lame boring tepid stuff. dominicans are by no means special.

I afraid until you live here in Santiago all you can do is guess.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8 shakes her head in sadness.

BS, my man. dominicans are nothing special, i repeat.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I do agree that a lot of Dominicans are very nice and friendly, but some of those will be the ones to try to get something out of you. I enjoy socializing with them without coming too close. I guess I still don't really completely understand the culture, although I have been there many times. People in Eastern Europe are not that friendly at the beginning, but can be very nice, generous, and genuine once they get to know you. Americans are polite and friendly, but, again, sometimes you just never know what to expect. I think we should not trust right away to people we don't know, in the DR, or anywhere else in the world, even if they seem nice and friendly.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Can I ask CHIP where ese in the world he has lived other than here and the good ol USofA?

CHIP I think your positive outlook is fantastic and most of us are quietly jealous that you lead such a great life, and I for one do not believe you are ignorant of you surroundings. I think you managed to find yourself here much easier than 99% of most people. I admire this in you and wish I could feel the same. BUT, having lived all over the world I agree with the Devious wench and the RD is nothing special!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Can I ask CHIP where ese in the world he has lived other than here and the good ol USofA?

CHIP I think your positive outlook is fantastic and most of us are quietly jealous that you lead such a great life, and I for one do not believe you are ignorant of you surroundings. I think you managed to find yourself here much easier than 99% of most people. I admire this in you and wish I could feel the same. BUT, having lived all over the world I agree with the Devious wench and the RD is nothing special!

I live in Germany for one and a half years.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I live in Germany for one and a half years.

'Lived' or are you there now?

Germans are actually quite sarcastically dry people, but very aware of this and so very funny.
But I must say, if this is true then you have not seen the world and so if you do get the chance visit Africa, West Africa in particular, Kuwait, Saudi, Western Australia, Scotland, Wales, Avoid France though, miserable fkers!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
dv8 shakes her head in sadness.

BS, my man. dominicans are nothing special, i repeat.

deviate, no offense but you generally find it difficult to say anything remotely not negative about this culture. Furthermore, you live in without a doubt one of the areas most ridiculed by Dominicans and gringos alike. I don't know your personal demeanor nor ability to communicate in Spanish but I wouldn't be surprised that you "attitude" precedes you. Many a gringo that come here act as if they just came from God's gift to the planet to some backwards cave dwellers and it shows in their demeanor. throw that in with all the drunk gringo whore mongers that drive PP culture and it's no wonder the Dominicans have formulated an opinion about gringos - in fact just like you have formulated one about them without really living anywhere else. You are certainly entitled to your opinion but all I can say is you have no idea what you are missing darling, sorry.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
but all I can say is you have no idea what you are missing darling, sorry.

I stand by what I say about Doms being nothing special, but CHIP kind of hits a hard point here, if you are living in such a sh1t hole as PoP and never bother to try elsewhere then you will always be negative, PoP is a dump and the most boring place on earth.
Personally CHIP I think Devious is happy being miserable, if you have never seen her she kind of suits it and it is not a persona as such in depth, she wouldn't suit being happy or motivated.
I think it is a sex slave thing with her and her man:D

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The level of "friendly" depends on where you are or live. In my travels (flight crew) I have come across many countries where the locals were very nice/friendly. The sincerity of it depended where you were as far as economics went.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
As fight crew you are always going to be accomed in touristy areas, and so again I do not know the relevance!

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sooo wrong. There were some of us that used that time in other countries to get out and see the country outside of the "tourist areas". Actually I would say over 90% of flight crews lived by this "rule". Heck the best shopping, food etc..were ALWAYS found away from the tourist areas. Your opinion seems to based on the idea of what "flight crew" means. Actually we saw more of the country we travelled to than your average tourist.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Yeh, right! We all believe you, hahaha!!!

do tell!! 12 hours to see the real county, come on mann, we all know flight crew regs. If you say you even make it out of Pizza hut I knwo you are lying!!
Just a teller, my wife worked for Iberia, KLM and BA over a 25 year career and seldom could she be bothered to venture out after a flight service, knowing the return flight would be withint 48 hours max. You are full of rubbish pal!

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Yeh, right! We all believe you, hahaha!!!

do tell!! 12 hours to see the real county, come on mann, we all know flight crew regs. If you say you even make it out of Pizza hut I knwo you are lying!!
Just a teller, my wife worked for Iberia, KLM and BA over a 25 year career and seldom could she be bothered to venture out after a flight service, knowing the return flight would be withint 48 hours max. You are full of rubbish pal!
Shows just how little you know Anastacio!

While a tourist in Sosua and later a resident in Santiago I have seen more and traveled more then most Dominicans in this country. And in 20 years rarely have I spendt the night away. I have traveled to Dajabon, Santo Domingo, Samana, SFM, Sabana Iglesia, Rio San Juan, Moca, Punta Cana, Mao, Romana, San Jose de la Martes, POP, and a few other places (Spelling of some of the cities may be wrong).

Leaving early in the morning and returning late one can see quite a bit of the country.
I don't count bar hopping as part of seeing the country, tho I did have stays in Sosua for weeks at a time and seen all the bars, inside and out.

And just because they were mostly day trips does not mean I did not walk many, many miles in most of those places. Like walking from Metro bus stop in Santo Domingo to as far as the Colonial Zone, the beaches, etc. Or walking through out the city of POP, and BOTH sides of Sousa, from end to end, etc.

How much of Sosua have you actually seen? I have been on probably every street on both sides of the beach.

If one gets off their ass, they can see the entire country in day trips, and I don't mean from the other side of the car window, but with feet on the ground walking through out the cities.

I think Anastacio you know the size of Santiago, well, I have walked the entire circle around it and through it, including the dreaded CienFuegos, not just the main roads. There are few areas I have not been in. So a 48 hour flight crew pass is more than enough to see this country and mingle with it's people with your feet on the ground.

So maybe during your wife's career of over 25 years she was just a lazy ass.........................
.... was your wife's over 25 year career part of a flight crew, or stuck in an office/local airport counter?

A flying career of over 25 years? (Poetic License?)

I could hardly put three Spanish words together in a sentence when I did many of those day trips.

Don - The Wanderer!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Opsss,

How could I have forgotten my many day trips to La Vega?

Like the church where Michael Jackson got married.
Waiting for the mini-bus to go back to Santiago.
The beautiful view from the top of the hill on the back street over looking the city. WOW!
The young lady that had me spend the night because it was getting late.
Burger King.... lol

Just too many places in "Day Trip" to recall them all.

Don - The Wanderer

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you would think that dominicans magically appeared in coastal towns the way that some people describe them as being totally different , they must come from somewhere