Does anybody else agree with me....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've just spent the last three days in Santiago. I hate the place.
Rude, stupid taxi drivers.
Everybody honking their horns and carving you up on the road.
People who don't understand the concept of queueing.
A lot of buildings in Santiago have elevators. Why don't people appreciate that in order to get into one, yo have to let the people who are already in it, out?! I've noticed a lot of rude barging and pushing, and it seems to be more the women than the men.
Women also tend to be in the customer service roles. A lot I find to be surly, rude and unhelpful...and yes my Spanish is fluent and I try and be as polite as I can.

But those are just MY observations. I prefer POP!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Those unwelcomed windshield washers punks are hardly what I'd call friendly. I'd like to tazer a few of them...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I've just spent the last three days in Santiago. I hate the place.
Rude, stupid taxi drivers.
Everybody honking their horns and carving you up on the road.
People who don't understand the concept of queueing.
A lot of buildings in Santiago have elevators. Why don't people appreciate that in order to get into one, yo have to let the people who are already in it, out?! I've noticed a lot of rude barging and pushing, and it seems to be more the women than the men.
Women also tend to be in the customer service roles. A lot I find to be surly, rude and unhelpful...and yes my Spanish is fluent and I try and be as polite as I can.

But those are just MY observations. I prefer POP!
2u8bjaq.gif

Next time get Chip to show you "HIS" Santiago!

BTW, what you said is so true.

I had to stand in the door way of the OMSA bus one day and stop people from getting on because they were pushing aside a "Blind" couple trying to get on the bus.

The driver "Thanked" me for helping the couple get on the bus.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Wow....25 years with the airlines (fight attendant?) and she did not get out and see what the world had to offer? What a waste. Funny, in 48 hrs (if that is the time you had) I could see things in a country that some locals never see in a lifetime. Our flight crew use to stay at the Sheraton (now Melia). We had approx 18 hrs before we flew out the next day(of course this was about 20+ years) and we use to go to Playa Palenque (pilot had friends there) for fish. I am sure you get the picture. I had an opportunity to experience different cultures, places, etc...I was not about to lay up in a hotel room waiting for room service. My trips to DR while I worked for the airlines helped me learn a great deal about the country and the culture. Some of the people I met back then to this day I still see and talk with.

Yeh, right! We all believe you, hahaha!!!

do tell!! 12 hours to see the real county, come on mann, we all know flight crew regs. If you say you even make it out of Pizza hut I knwo you are lying!!
Just a teller, my wife worked for Iberia, KLM and BA over a 25 year career and seldom could she be bothered to venture out after a flight service, knowing the return flight would be withint 48 hours max. You are full of rubbish pal!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You guys make a good point that there are bad drivers here, annoying window washers and generally poor queuing as well and I have made this point to before. Still many Dominicans here value geniality and our glad to demonstrate it on a daily basis. No they aren't batting 100 but then who is?

As far as POP goes, I think maybe those that live there for some time have their Dominican friends and the people in the barrio know them so their may have a different perception but generally it's difficult for a gringo to get treated as a Dominican would because so many Dominicans see them as a business opportunity plus gringos aren't generally known as being social and polite so why would they even bother?

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Those unwelcomed windshield washers punks are hardly what I'd call friendly. I'd like to tazer a few of them...

When I was there driving around POP one them window washer people threw the sponge about ten feet away from the windshield it landed dead center

me being a nut job turned the wiper on and sent the sponge flying into the other lane on the ground then I waved the finger no not the middle one you should of seen his face bet that has'nt happend to him before that was one of my highlights of our trip.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
When I was there driving around POP one them window washer people threw the sponge about ten feet away from the windshield it landed dead center

me being a nut job turned the wiper on and sent the sponge flying into the other lane on the ground then I waved the finger no not the middle one you should of seen his face bet that has'nt happend to him before that was one of my highlights of our trip.
73c86t.jpg
For a long time now I have wanted to install an extra windshield washer pump on my car and aim the water stream between the driver's side of the windshield and the front left fender, with a push button labeled "NO LAVA".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I've done that and seen other people do it to. I guess maybe I'm not so nice then.:)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I do the wiper thing all the time.

Problem is their soapy water is really nasty and the windshield ends up much dirtier on the edges.

And once in a while a REAL smart ass will slop his dirty sponge on a window as you drive away, especially in POP.

I swear,

ralph%2Bin%2Bhoneymooners

ahdm01.jpg

031320070327217720_full.jpg

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Glad too see you guys stick it back to them, I learned that many years ago living in good ol NY............

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Wow....25 years with the airlines (fight attendant?) and she did not get out and see what the world had to offer? What a waste. Funny, in 48 hrs (if that is the time you had) I could see things in a country that some locals never see in a lifetime. Our flight crew use to stay at the Sheraton (now Melia). We had approx 18 hrs before we flew out the next day(of course this was about 20+ years) and we use to go to Playa Palenque (pilot had friends there) for fish. I am sure you get the picture. I had an opportunity to experience different cultures, places, etc...I was not about to lay up in a hotel room waiting for room service. My trips to DR while I worked for the airlines helped me learn a great deal about the country and the culture. Some of the people I met back then to this day I still see and talk with.

Yeh, and so you sleep the entire flight? lol. Ok, some believe you, I know the reality of a flight attendant. Mind if you call popping into Santo Domingo to see the CZ experiencing a country then you have experienced everything I expect.
Respect to you for never sleeping! Good man/woman!!