does anyone have the answer to this

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Are you people forgetting you're on an Island and everything except platanos have to be shipped in . :confused:

How many people have invested millions through the years trying to establish a business there and gone home broke and disillusioned?

If you had millions and wanted to start a business in the DR are you going to give it all away because there are poor people living there or are you looking to make a profit with your millions.

Crap I remember when a collect call to Canada was $30.00 for a few minutes and there was no junk food.

So you have to pay a little more to have telephone service and internet? When exactly did they get internet in the DR? You're lucky that you have these services at all.

Ok I'm finished ranting now ;)
Anna,

You are a blessing! For a time there I thought many people on this site were all nuts (no offense to the other guys) or at least seriously lacking or not understanding what is essentially basic economics.

-NALs

joseinoa

Jan 20, 2005
its not basic economics its abusing the system that made them who they are today. last time i checked phone service is not brought in through shipping docks. so its like comparing apples and oranges.

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
ALL cell phone numbers, regardless of location are considered LONG Distance, thus the reason one must dial a "1" when calling ANY cell phone from a landline.

This being true, from a cell phone you need never dial a "1" to call ANY number in the DR, as the system treats the cell phones as always calling long distance. At least that's the way it is on Codetel.

The caller ALWAYS pays for calling a cell phone, regardless of the location of the phone, there is no such thing as a Santo Domingo area cell phone number per se for local calling purposes.

very interesting..... Ii wasnt aware of this, but then again i've never used a landline in dr. I guess the only option would be to enquire with codetel about the 'plan nacional'.

C

Chip00

Which market's value ? :cheeky:

That was a ballpark fugure that I came up with based on what Verizon/Codetel charges per minute vs in the US and wages paid to technicians here in the DR and in the US.

If there were other companies here in the DR offering real competition the price we pay would be substantially less.

Before the breakup of Ma Bell in the US people were paying 0.50 a minute for long distance - what would that be today in dollars? - a whole lot more than the 0.02 to 0.03 per minute that most Americans are paying now.

The argument that goods need to be imported really has nothing to do with the costs as the main service being offered is time on the telephone system and therefore the costs associated with installing wire and towers will be insignificant.

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
So Was It Basic Canadian Economics To Collect Over 300 Million Us Dollars In Taxes And Not Forward These Tax Collections To The Country Where Collected. Verizon (canadian) Should Be Ashamed, As Every Canadian Should Be Ashamed, That A Poor Country Is Denied The Funds To Put In Effect Basic Human Need Programs Funded By Taxes Due To Greed And Theft Of These Tax Dollars By A Foreign Country.... Is This Basic Canadian Economics?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
So Was It Basic Canadian Economics To Collect Over 300 Million Us Dollars In Taxes And Not Forward These Tax Collections To The Country Where Collected. Verizon (canadian) Should Be Ashamed, As Every Canadian Should Be Ashamed, That A Poor Country Is Denied The Funds To Put In Effect Basic Human Need Programs Funded By Taxes Due To Greed And Theft Of These Tax Dollars By A Foreign Country.... Is This Basic Canadian Economics?

Not sure if you meant that Verizon (Canadian) should have sent the $300 million in taxes to the DR government or not. But if you did, more than likely, the politicians would have eaten if all up and the Basic Human Need Programs would still have gotten nothing...

In other words, instead of Verizon doing the "Greed and Theft" it would have just been someone else doing it.

SAME OUTCOME!

castleburger

Sep 4, 2006
Ahhhh That Justifies Everthing. Collect Taxes From Poor People And Keep It As Profit, Because Government Officials May "misapropriate" The Funds. Guess That Would Make Verizon Activists And Not Just The Dispicable Theives That They Are.

C

Chip00

Ahhhh That Justifies Everthing. Collect Taxes From Poor People And Keep It As Profit, Because Government Officials May "misapropriate" The Funds. Guess That Would Make Verizon Activists And Not Just The Dispicable Theives That They Are.

Castleburger - It would be a lot easier to read your posts If you didn't capitalize the first letter of every word. In English we capitalize names and placenames and therefore it makes it cumbersome to read sentences with everything captalized - thanks.

BTW, I agree with you - the owners of Verizon are a bunch of thieves.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Castleburger - It would be a lot easier to read your posts If you didn't capitalize the first letter of every word. In English we capitalize names and placenames and therefore it makes it cumbersome to read sentences with everything captalized - thanks.

BTW, I agree with you - the owners of Verizon are a bunch of thieves.

I think he is upset and wants to emphasize his disgust with Verizon in a capital way.;)

slrguy

Oct 17, 2006
That was maybe the most interesting approach to "Market Rates" I've ever seen. I'm impressed.