does anyone know if AA is enforcing the newer baggage allowances

Sep 19, 2005
the web site says that they have scaled back the baggage allowances to the DR to 50 lbs each for the two checked bags. In november, because of when i bought my ticket, I was allowed 70 lbs each. I have a gf who has two aunts that gave me some clothes to bring down on my trip dec 23rd. Plus i will be staying 11 days this time. I want to pack carefully if the limit is 50 lbs each. Because id rather not pay an additional $25 per bag if they go over 50lbs. The dam flight cost an arm and a leg already!

Bob

THE GAME

Jul 13, 2005
www.nydailynews.com
laurapasinifan said:
the web site says that they have scaled back the baggage allowances to the DR to 50 lbs each for the two checked bags. In november, because of when i bought my ticket, I was allowed 70 lbs each. I have a gf who has two aunts that gave me some clothes to bring down on my trip dec 23rd. Plus i will be staying 11 days this time. I want to pack carefully if the limit is 50 lbs each. Because id rather not pay an additional $25 per bag if they go over 50lbs. The dam flight cost an arm and a leg already!

Bob

i think they are allowing just (2) 50-lbs luggages during xmas season.. 'till
Jan. not sure of exactly what date. I'm sure they're enforcing this as they want to get the extra $25 if your luggage is over 50 lbs.... if it's 51-55 you might get lucky and not get charged with the $25.

jackquontee

May 20, 2005
Bob, the last time I was there (in Nov) I flew Jetblue and they had a 50lb per bag limit. The time before that I flew Continental (in Sept) and they had a 50lb limit per bag. So, it seems that AA isn't the only airline, and it didn't just start in time for the holidays. In fact, there was another thread about a couple of months ago I think regarding the same issue. I think it has more to do with the increase in fuel, though the price of fuel seems to have dropped a bit. But, you know how business is, they raise prices to meet rising business costs, but then don't bother to reduce those prices to bring them in line with the reduction in business costs.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
yes they are

laurapasinifan said:

Bob

went thru this whole thing 3 weeks ago at JFK--asked for a supervisor. Showed them travel every 4-5 weeks with my passport. Told them I would fly Delta the next time. End results-said they would do me a favor and ONLY charge me $25oo

JOHN

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We just came down on the 8th....

One bag was 51 lbs while hubbies was 54.....
they didn't charge us.......
Friends came on the 10th...they had one bag 85 lbs and managed to get it through because they're tickets were booked before the new rules took place and they're much older folks and happened to get a check in agent who was the same nationality so he let 'em go without charging.
I'd pack a couple lbs over the limit and they should let it go but no more than that or you're going to pay!

monster

Oct 16, 2005
shoot....I am packing my bag now and I jsut found the rules yesterday. I gotta shave off 7 pounds:cry:

Jun 5, 2004
With dominicans its real hard to enforce anything i was in the airport one of these days to pick someone up and I saw a whole bunch of signs about it. even though Im not sure how are they doing enforcing it.

Jun 5, 2004
MommC said:
One bag was 51 lbs while hubbies was 54.....
they didn't charge us.......
Friends came on the 10th...they had one bag 85 lbs and managed to get it through because they're tickets were booked before the new rules took place and they're much older folks and happened to get a check in agent who was the same nationality so he let 'em go without charging.
I'd pack a couple lbs over the limit and they should let it go but no more than that or you're going to pay!

MommC you have to be careful not to sound racist or anything but they are some people (white) checking in that really think that they own AA. It all depends on who checks you in. If they are dominican they will probably let you do if you are not extremely over wheight nut remember it is always to be SAFE THAN SORRY

Sep 19, 2005
On my trip in oct, the guy in front of me was taking things out of his luggage! the bag still weighed 80lbs! they were making him drop the weight. I dont know what he did with the stuff, because they took me in the next line over because of my wait. Maybe he stuffed it into his carry on!

bob

Sep 19, 2005
my last trip over thanksgiving, my one bags weighed about 52-53 lbs each. I thought they might have weighed more. And i thought wow I have room to spare. Now I have to be careful , because i am adding more weight for clothes for other people. possibly, other than cologne, maybe Ill just buy anything thats liquid in the DR. And i was going to bring down 2 huge jars of JIFFY EXTRA CRUNCHY peanut butter. they dont sell it down there, and it is much sweeter than skippy. Which is what my gf family eats. Now i have them hooked on JIFFY ha ha ha.......into the carry on!!!!!!

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
First Class

That's perfect Bob!
All you need is a loaf of Wonder Bread and you have the whole Christmas dinner with a jar of Fluff.

Sep 19, 2005
Tamborista said:
That's perfect Bob!
All you need is a loaf of Wonder Bread and you have the whole Christmas dinner with a jar of Fluff.

I am sure FLUFF is what makes your life so wonderfull. Its not needed in mine.
But thanks for the insite into what makes you tick. Maybe some day you'll have something other than a loaf of wonder bread to squeeze

bob

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
She is a beautiful woman!
I would buy her parents a Sub Zero and a Set of Maytags if I were in your shoes. If you bring a few pieces of the Fridge in your luggage each trip, you could probably avoid paying tax and the overweight Tarifa.

Sep 19, 2005
But us spoiled rich american gringos dont give a crap about taxes. do you know if I have already bought the maytags or are you guessing. Wait till tax return time comes! I was thinking of buying out the guy in the classifieds. especially the 2.5KW inverter and the 8 battery bank. Ill bring in a fesh loaf of wonder bread for you, since i like you so much...bob

Pana

Feb 12, 2005
AA is enforcing there 50lbs limit I was over weight by 10 pounds but I bought my tickets when they had the 70lbs limit so the 50lbs limit will not apply to you if you purchased the ticket before they changed it back to 50lbs. This was as of December 1st when I flew down to on AA.