Does the good outweigh the bad? (My Story)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
You would be leading a Happy Life if you lived in Tripoli Libya!
When you only are responsible for yourself,LIFE is EASY!
Add a spouse,kids,family members,a house,cars,medical ins,tuition,etc.,etc.
LIFE is a bit more of a struggle,ESPECIALLY in the DR!
Here,you can always call the,electric company,water company,police,fire,etc. You can CALL,but nothing will ever happen!
For me,the BEST THING about living in the DR is our Extended Family!My kids really like having the grandparents living with us.Other family members live nearby.
Other than that,if you have a car breakdown here,a crowd will soon gather to "Help Out"!I had a group actually lift my van into the air,(With Me Inside!) and get me off a high curb!I have been pushed down C/Churchill!
If you get sick,everyone will come to help you out!
And the ONE Thing,that Dominicans do unbelievably well,is "BURY THE DEAD"!
You die,everyone you have EVER met will be at your funeral,the flowers,priests,will be there.You will have a huge funeral procession to your grave,and all this in about 24 hours!! I can hardly wait!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

?Ay Dios, popre de t?! you won't be there for the galleta con queso y cafecito or carne (chivo, vaca...)con viveres.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
What would you do without us!? I have more expendable income then I know what to do with.....

So this means that you already have that cool million put away so that you can have your 50k a year retirement? For when you cannot work.. or your abs go flaccid... and the novio leaves for another?

i,e,,, would you still have so much money if you were not living in his free apartment, with his sister? (who may decide that she can find a .. well.. sexier roommate than her brother and his partner?)

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
So this means that you already have that cool million put away so that you can have your 50k a year retirement? For when you cannot work.. or your abs go flaccid... and the novio leaves for another?

i,e,,, would you still have so much money if you were not living in his free apartment, with his sister? (who may decide that she can find a .. well.. sexier roommate than her brother and his partner?)

:) that comment was missing an ironic winky face (#57).

You bring up an interesting point though.. a few things:

I like with a roommate (a fellow Canadian actually) in a three bedroom here in Ens. Julieta. I am not saving money at all (I'm sure many have opinions on this, feel free to lambast me!).

I wouldn't pay I live "paycheque to paycheque", as I don't "struggle" to pay anything, but of course, I don't eat out every night. Maybe fast food once a week, and chili's / TGI Fridays once a week.

While I've said I obviously don't have any "issues" living here, I don't see myself (at this point) staying here the rest of my life.

Thanks for pointing out that Annie, I hope I cleared it up for you and others :)

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
half full

I wish I could get a DR1 gold star for trying.

Talk to me JR, let's try this out :)

AllJeff,
You remind me of a story I once read. A man pulls into a gas station in a new town. He says hello to a local old man who is stitting there at the pump. The newcomer asked " Are people very nice in this town and easy to get along with?"
The local in the chair said "absolutely, you will find people here that way, and you will make a lot of friends"
He thanked the old man and continued pumping his gas.

Another guy pulls in on the other side of the gas pump. As he is filling, he asks the same old man "Are there a bunch of a**holes in this town just like 5 miles down the road where I had all the problems?" The old man said, "Yes, they are all a**holes here" The guy said "good, I am leaving here too" and spins his wheels as he takes off.
The first guy to arrive at the pump asks of the old man "I thought you said people were nice here?" To which the old man replied, "I did. You see, if you come here, or any town, expecting a**holes, that is what you will find. If you arrive expecting people to be nice, as you have, then that is what you will find, and I guarantee you will meet many great people, and make many friends here."
So AllJeff, I guess you arrive in most towns expecting people to be nice, and that is what you find.

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
You see, if you come here, or any town, expecting a**holes, that is what you will find. If you arrive expecting people to be nice, as you have, then that is what you will find, and I guarantee you will meet many great people, and make many friends here."

I like that story. I like to believe most people are like the first man. :)

VistaMar

Mar 16, 2011
You will soon realize (if you have not already) the phrase "misery loves company" bodes well here...
Keep enjoying yourself and continue to have a good time Jeff!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
:) that comment was missing an ironic winky face (#57).

You bring up an interesting point though.. a few things:

I like with a roommate (a fellow Canadian actually) in a three bedroom here in Ens. Julieta. I am not saving money at all (I'm sure many have opinions on this, feel free to lambast me!).

I wouldn't pay I live "paycheque to paycheque", as I don't "struggle" to pay anything, but of course, I don't eat out every night. Maybe fast food once a week, and chili's / TGI Fridays once a week.

While I've said I obviously don't have any "issues" living here, I don't see myself (at this point) staying here the rest of my life.

Thanks for pointing out that Annie, I hope I cleared it up for you and others :)

Well, I am sure that you have parents that probably pointed this flaw out to you!

If not, let me play in loco parentis/// Liz Pulliam Weston: The 50/30/20 budgeting strategy - MSN Money
But really, you are perhaps learning many more skills that will serve you well when you leave here. And you are Canadian, so you will have good health care.

Hey, you are young yet.. under 30 and thus still immortal... and have not seen the twilight yet. So .. but perhaps you can understand that many of us here.. are... HERE... for better or worse. And that most of us here do indeed have a better life here than back where we came from, otherwise we would leave.

yanandu

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Budgeting strategy does not work. Best is to keep expenses very low and pay off loans/mortgages. Go for a second job if you can't clear the house debt in 10 years if you are in 20's and 30's. No-one wants a noose round their neck.
Better is a subjective thing. Some friends love the cold winters of say Canada.
Yanandu