Dog Poisoning

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
would you call someone 400 meters away walking on a main road a potential threat- this is the barking I get from my neighbours dog they bark so much no one pays any attention, therefore the guarding element is void

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dogs don't bark because they feel like it. They can't talk so all they can do is bark to express anger, fear, hunger, wariness, etc. It's the people who "own" the dogs (though I think living being cannot be owned), who should be addressed when the dogs misbehave. I know they don't pay attention and won't listen. I know they will mock you for trying. But there are ways to get even, if you exercise imagination. Just spare the poor dogs, it's not their fault....

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
would you call someone 400 meters away walking on a main road a potential threat- this is the barking I get from my neighbours dog they bark so much no one pays any attention, therefore the guarding element is void

Sure its void and extremely annoying, even me as dog lover/trainer have problems with dogs that bark just to bark.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
well the neighbour goes out to work so couldnt care two hoots about what the dogs are doing
Just spare the poor dogs, it's not their fault..

are you suggesting poisoning the neighbours lol

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
well the neighbour goes out to work so couldnt care two hoots about what the dogs are doing

are you suggesting poisoning the neighbours lol

I heard a story about some guy who installed a very loud siren facing the offending neighbor's house. Every time the dogs barked in the middle of the night and woke him up, he would set off the siren....He would say the barking was setting off his alarms sensors and hence, the siren...I don't know if true or not...

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Just to clarify my dogs don't go out on their own. My Chihuahua heads for the door anytime anyone goes out and walks at their heels. She's off the leash trained and never leaves our side, but she sniffs, and does her business wherever she wants. Well she sniffed something and tasted it.. unfortunately it was poison. :(

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
Jenny I sorry for your loss. You were there when she ate the poison?
Another question does the antedote you can buy at the vets work?

logan99

Jan 7, 2013
I have read your post seems to interesting to me If you ask me i will say i dont believe that some human will do that as soon as they are dangerous to them The dogs(which is at our house as a pet) only bark when there is something wrong or different. The dog which are killed may be they are not a pet May be some one has killed them for their protection.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Logan99", you don't understand how the Dominican mind works, or maybe "Doesn't Work"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Killing a dog is like killing a mosquito to them.
If something bothers them, they destroy it.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The dog which are killed may be they are not a pet May be some one has killed them for their protection.

Unfortunately, for many people here they are not pets.
Dogs are alarm systems. Cats are plague exterminators. They even go as far as telling you "Don't feed your cat, if you feed your cat, it won't eat the mice and cockroaches"...

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't know if you have noticed but there is a serious lack of wildlife on this disfunctional turd, the DR. There is not only a lack of respect for dogs, but there is a general lack of respect for life of any sort, be it plant life, animal life or even human life. I remember within my first 20 minutes of arriving in this country for the first time I was disgusted as my taxi from the airport swerved almost off the road so he could hit a dog walking down the verge, he did hit it and almost killed us as well in the process, having no consideration of what a dog will do to the handling of a car at 70mph. Sat outside a Colmado last year the puppies were playing in the street, quiet dirt track. A 4x4 came down and I waved to him to slow down as there were puppies running around (you can't go fast on this track anyway), he did slow right down and waited until one of the pups was infront of a wheel and then let off the breaks, he just ran right over a pup and was smiling away. I went crazy with the guy and got right in his face, the guy was very confused by my outburst, but it turns out he thought the game was to run the pups over, not avoid them. Dominicans remind me of Moroccans when it comes to animals, just do not have a clue how to treat animals, each other and often even themselves.
I have to wonder sometimes how I ended up living in a place that I find so difficult to find things that I actually like, enjoy or can agree with. All I can say is that the sex must have been great back in the day, because none of this crap mattered back then.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
If someone poisons your dogs, get ready, that is the first things ladrones do. The next nite they will be in your house. In a small town here in the north, poisoning is a way of animal control. First the city workers come down the street and tell everyone that they are going to put out poison that nite and for people to tie their pets up. The next morning early, a dump truck comes by to pick the dead animals up. Here in the campo, we have what they call Mountain Dogs. Wild dogs. They just killed a neighbor of mines small calf. The calf was worth 3000 pesos. In the campo that is nearly a months wages. Also they think I am crazy for not snakes, toad, praying mantises, and tarantualas. I explained they eat rats and roaches. They just look at me like I am crazy. Oh, well. Only in the DR.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Welcome to the DR. Pets, primarily dogs are not treated the same as they would be in North America. For the most part locals use dogs as protection and not necessarily as mans best friend. In Las Terrenas I have heard of "problem" dogs being poison in order to be rid of them and not be a nuisance on the beach. Lately I not heard of a lot of this going on. There are German vets, who volunteer, in LT to neuter dogs to eliminate over population and it seems to have had an overall effect. Unfortunately that is the way things are in developing countries.

LTSteve

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sadly, much of "wildlife" here are rats, mice and mosquitos b/c they kill everything else what eats that kind of pests...

Why they kill all that? Out of widespread stupidity, sorry I have no other explanation for that...

Last edited:

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I know there have on this subject but I had to post. Last week I was leaving the beach in Costambar and was shocked to see a dog dying of poisoning by the side of the road. The next day I was told there were 3 dogs poisoned that day in the same area. A Dominican friend said that there were some gringos who didn't like the barking so he assumed they did it. I don't know how someone could do that. I don't think they would in their country. I always assumed any poisoning wouldn't be done by Dominicans because they wouldn't spend the money, however I was told that wasn't true. A friend from the barrio says it happens there. I wouldn't think it happens in other countries. I was appalled!!

Happens in Rio San Juan where the street dogs are culled with poison and by the way domestic ones too if they get hungry on the street.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
This thread makes the DR seem like such an ugly ugly place. People are crammed up against each other, afraid of their neighbors and afraid of their neighbors' dogs. People buy dogs to protect themselves against the ladrons and against each other. People poison each others' dogs only because they can not poison each other (and get away with it). Dogs barking like crazy over the ruckus of the colmados. What a picture! UGLY!

The DR is a truly dysfunctional place, by US standards at least.

But I have to believe that this ugly reality is really just a side effect of the DR's relative poverty. I think that seventy-five or fifty years ago the US and Europe also treated life with this level of disregard.

This thread also reminds me of this youtube bit comparing the girl who was run over in China with a dog. Have you all seen this? Warning, this video may be disturbing to some.

2 Years-Old Chinese Girl Ran Over By Cars (Chinese vs Dog) - YouTube

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Poisoning dogs for animal control in the DR. I don't like it ,but what are the options? I think they kill many animals in the states by injecting them with some sort of poison. Mite be more humane, but it still happens.

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
I don't know if you have noticed but there is a serious lack of wildlife on this disfunctional turd, the DR. There is not only a lack of respect for dogs, but there is a general lack of respect for life of any sort, be it plant life, animal life or even human life. I remember within my first 20 minutes of arriving in this country for the first time I was disgusted as my taxi from the airport swerved almost off the road so he could hit a dog walking down the verge, he did hit it and almost killed us as well in the process, having no consideration of what a dog will do to the handling of a car at 70mph. Sat outside a Colmado last year the puppies were playing in the street, quiet dirt track. A 4x4 came down and I waved to him to slow down as there were puppies running around (you can't go fast on this track anyway), he did slow right down and waited until one of the pups was infront of a wheel and then let off the breaks, he just ran right over a pup and was smiling away. I went crazy with the guy and got right in his face, the guy was very confused by my outburst, but it turns out he thought the game was to run the pups over, not avoid them. Dominicans remind me of Moroccans when it comes to animals, just do not have a clue how to treat animals, each other and often even themselves.
I have to wonder sometimes how I ended up living in a place that I find so difficult to find things that I actually like, enjoy or can agree with. All I can say is that the sex must have been great back in the day, because none of this crap mattered back then.

Friggn B@stard, should get shot in the head. It doesnt surprise me considering, that my paisanos don't value human lives much less value an animals'. Welcome to the jungle.