Dog Poisoning

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This thread makes the DR seem like such an ugly ugly place. People are crammed up against each other, afraid of their neighbors and afraid of their neighbors' dogs. People buy dogs to protect themselves against the ladrons and against each other. People poison each others' dogs only because they can not poison each other (and get away with it). Dogs barking like crazy over the ruckus of the colmados. What a picture! UGLY!

The DR is a truly dysfunctional place, by US standards at least.

But I have to believe that this ugly reality is really just a side effect of the DR's relative poverty. I think that seventy-five or fifty years ago the US and Europe also treated life with this level of disregard.

DR is an ugly place, it is easy to find a nook and live in a blinkered state like everyone who refers to it as paradise, but than is living with your head buried in the sand, not that there is anything wrong with that if it makes you happy, I wish I could live with my head buried, the months I spent in Europe last year and the complete break from DR1 and all things DR related made the place seem almost attractive.

I can't put abuse down to poverty, no one needs money to know right from wrong, that is a cop out and a poor one at that. There are many many more places in the world much much more poverty stricken than DR and they manage to understand the difference between right and wrong when it comes to respect for life, an understanding that an animal is a life, not an object. The people of DR are abusive to animals and each other because they don't care, they have a serious attitude problem. The difference between DR and US or Europe is 95% of the time someone sees something wrong going on they will do something about it, be it report it, personally get involved or at least make someone who will do something about it aware of the situation and put a stop to it. In Dominican mentality does not care about what does not effect them, and that is the real reason the entire country is so dysfunctional, from the government, right down to the petty thieves of the streets.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Givadog, did you watch the video I put up earlier? How do you think Dominicans would react to a girl being run over, in the street?

DR is an ugly place, it is easy to find a nook and live in a blinkered state like everyone who refers to it as paradise, but than is living with your head buried in the sand, not that there is anything wrong with that if it makes you happy, I wish I could live with my head buried, the months I spent in Europe last year and the complete break from DR1 and all things DR related made the place seem almost attractive.

I can't put abuse down to poverty, no one needs money to know right from wrong, that is a cop out and a poor one at that. There are many many more places in the world much much more poverty stricken than DR and they manage to understand the difference between right and wrong when it comes to respect for life, an understanding that an animal is a life, not an object. The people of DR are abusive to animals and each other because they don't care, they have a serious attitude problem. The difference between DR and US or Europe is 95% of the time someone sees something wrong going on they will do something about it, be it report it, personally get involved or at least make someone who will do something about it aware of the situation and put a stop to it. In Dominican mentality does not care about what does not effect them, and that is the real reason the entire country is so dysfunctional, from the government, right down to the petty thieves of the streets.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know the question was not directed to me, but I have an answer to that too:

Them around would help her... and 500 more would come running to the scene from all over to take pics with their cellphones...

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Mike, I think you are correct. I have seen and witnessed amazing kindness from total strangers in the Dominican Republic. It is a dysfunctional place on many levels but I think there is also much compassion. Basically, I think it is like everywhere and anywhere else in the world.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If she wasn't already dead then they would probably kill her in the way they would drag her up and transport her to the hospital, crushed as the little girl in the clip was, picking her up by her arms would almost certainly force her ribs through her lungs. So even with the best intentions, ignorance rules the way for these people. I've never met anyone who wasn't a doctor or nurse who had any first aid experience, infact I've met a few nurses who have little first aid education.
The typical woman would be ranting at the tragedy at the scene being helped through the stress by cell phone therapy, which we all know involves ranting into a strangers cell phone and having it sent into the evening news.
Someone would have to be lynched for it, if he/she had made off them anyone in a similar coloured car would do, three or four would drag him out of the vehicle while three or four more frustrated 40 something men scavanged for metal poles and thick timber to thrash him with, all the time vowing in justice to the little girl they seem to have forgotten to help before searching for weapons:(
Once the lynching had ended and the girl arrived at the hospital dead everyone would need to flick back through their cell pics to see what all the commotion was and the reason behind why they were beating some guy senseless. Then it's a quick guagua home to see if they made it onto the evening news.
Dominicans are more interested in beating people than helping victims, yes they love kids, their own. Nothing will change them not caring about anyone who doesn't directly effect them, that is just how it is.
Again, we see examples of kindness and selflessness, but it is not representative by any stretch of the imagination.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As I arrived at the supermarket today, a small boy, about 3 years old, got hurt as the automatic doors banged him on both sides of his head, trapping him until anothr person tripped the electric eye controling the door. He was a lot more scared than he was hurt. His crying atracted many Dominicans to comfort him.
"Well Done"!!!
One noise a Dominicano hears is a child crying!
PERFECT STRANGERS WILL RUSH TO THEIR AID.
THE OTHER GOOD DEED THEY ALL DO, IS, IF YOU HAVE CAR TROUBLE you will soon be surrounded by Good Samaritans willing to assist you.
I had about 10 men lift my Ford van off a median strip where I got stuck. Another time people pushed my van down La "Curchi" an into a parking lot, and it was about 100 degrees that day.
They will also share their food with others who need to eat.
That's about it!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I saw a young girl about 16 -17 get knocked on her ass by a moto concho as she was crossing the street at a set of lights, her pants were torn around the knees, when she got up the driver of the moto yelled at her for being on the street and then he drove away, I did not see one person try to help her or anyone go after the moto driver.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
DR is an ugly place, it is easy to find a nook and live in a blinkered state like everyone who refers to it as paradise, but than is living with your head buried in the sand, not that there is anything wrong with that if it makes you happy, I wish I could live with my head buried, the months I spent in Europe last year and the complete break from DR1 and all things DR related made the place seem almost attractive..

That is true. However, when it comes to suffering for cruelty to animals or humans, I've found that getting away does not help. It is the worst way to bury your head in the sand. Because you know that not just because you're not there those things don't happen anymore, and those mental images live with you forever, wherever you are. I rather be in a position where I can try to teach a little kid a few things so at least he or she can be a better person in the future. Futile effort, I guess. But it makes me feel better about myself if I try to do something about it, instead of looking the other way.