Dominican Diputados: Maids can't be forced to wear uniforms in public

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I can't imagine our maid wearing a uniform. I believe I haven't seen to many private employed maids wearing uniform but perhaps I don't circulate in elite circles enough.

maybe you did not notice. uniformed maids i see normally wear scrubs, or whatever the word is. like this:
http://www.idbylandau.com/maid-uniform-p/tia_8382.htm
often in bright colours or with cheerful pattern like little ducks, flowers and so on (if she takes care of the kids). basically
something a nurse or kindergarten carer would wear.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
More..

it used to be 'de rigeur' for English or European girls to be sent to the USA or Canada as nannies
was a part of their upbringing.... learn English, travel the world

Princess Diana did her stint at it.... and had the family to her wedding

SD is different - I expect - but not a shabby job working for .... start a list

de la Renta, for starters --- Fanjuls ........all those zippy DR east coasters

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I can't imagine our maid wearing a uniform. I believe I haven't seen to many private employed maids wearing uniform but perhaps I don't circulate in elite circles enough.

They are all over the "Big Citaay"

A status symbol not only with the uniforms but the quantity of maids accompanying the rich person.

I have seen as many as 4 with one woman - one for each kid.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly...... very much so

I saw it last week at Atlantis in LT

Young RD couple..... full staff eating at the other end of the table with the children
who took turns eating and speeding around on their bikes.... the children , not the nanny

Ever see an elderly couple with a 'keeper'.....??

My mother's woman was with us over 40 yrs...
I still can't shake her.... with us still, sort of....close
They know all the family secrets.....share every experience... indispensable

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
do you think that government should ever be in an intermediary role, in terms of formulating agreements between employer and employee?

I am of the opinion that government involvement should be minimal. Here is an example of involvement that screws the employer frequently to the benefit of bad employee.

In the DR, employees get to screw employers frequently because of the "severance package" laws in place. Just ask Frank12 how many times Big Frank was screwed by this law when Jose O'Shays was open and how many times Rocky's Aqua has already been screwed during the short tenure of their new business in the same location. Employees start off good, then after the period of time they can collect severance, they start to screw up, hope to be released and collect severance. The government will almost always side with the employee. This practice hurts businesses in the DR.

I can tell you that we have personally been screwed three times by it when we used to have permanent employees.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
do you think that government should ever be in an intermediary role, in terms of formulating agreements between employer and employee?

The working relationship in these cases... and you surely know this M....is so intimate
that if you need to quantify it - to detail it - .... you got the wrong person

There is a huge trust element here...
except for this one

https://www.law.com/dailyreportonli...ouse-Sextortion-Case/?slreturn=20180306130146

and , of course Schwartznegger (?)....

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Could we all this the perfect example of a "Nanny State"?

LOL
tenor.gif

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Uniformed household staff are seen frequently in SD. When we took our grandsons to ride the horses at the rear of the Féria Ganaderia in SD, I think we were the only ones there without the maids in uniform. 

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
This is almost as important as the price of cottage cheese at Playero.

Exactly.

This country and some of its people never seen to amaze me; maids in uniform or not, who actually cares?

The house keeper I have does everything and I don't even know what she wears.

Another way for some people to feel more privileged than others that's all.

Talk about screwed up priorities.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
In the DR, employees get to screw employers frequently because of the "severance package" laws in place. Just ask Frank12 how many times Big Frank was screwed by this law when Jose O'Shays was open and how many times Rocky's Aqua has already been screwed during the short tenure of their new business in the same location. Employees start off good, then after the period of time they can collect severance, they start to screw up, hope to be released and collect severance. The government will almost always side with the employee. This practice hurts businesses in the DR.

I can tell you that we have personally been screwed three times by it when we used to have permanent employees.

May I ask what did your employees do, what was the working schedule ( days/hours ) and what was there monthly wage ?

Last edited:

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
And yet...with this trivial subject...no, one questions the high rises about to be built in Punta Cana. We worry about crap that does not matter and never protest BS that will be on the doorstep shortly. Macao is soon to be another piece of land for the rich to have an empty condo overlooking it! No more everyday Dominicans and residents of PC.
But...lets worry about dress code of a worker.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
This is almost as important as the price of cottage cheese at Playero.

Unless you are a maid, that is........

I kind of see the sense of this law. That the employee is giving the possibility not to wear the " maid uniform " out in public life, its a good thing, IMO.

I mean, imagine lawyers or tax collectors had to advertise their job everywhere they went....... it is just not possible : they would be eating nose boogies everytime they went to the restaurant........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

I kind of see the sense of this law. That the employee is giving the possibility not to wear the " maid uniform " out in public life, its a good thing, IMO........................

Agree 100%

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
I'm from the Cibao and I don't recall ever seeing them in small towns, but in Santo Domingo Domingo, I often see nannies wearing scrub-like clothes. Also, I know a couple of people whose maids wear uniforms when they hold dinners parties. These are different, really maid-like uniforms.
My friend's maid doesn't have to wear it daily basis or outside. My friend takes her out on short vacations sometimes. She goes to the salon, puts on her nice clothes, and gets all made up.

Anyway, I think this should be left to be discussed between employer and employee. I think that if you're dealing with kids, a uniform is often better than having to wear your regular clothes every day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We may be over reacting here.

The employee cannot be FORCED to wear the uniform....
meaning she/he can refuse if he/she wants

Let's not forget...
there is no shame here in being in the employ of a 'Rico'.....
driver, maid, laundress - all good jobs with status in some circles

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

There is a reason for this. This started as a result of how employers used to screw employers and how they had no ways to defend themselfs upon a more powerful person. These laws came into effect to balance that out.

I also know many people who have screwed up by their employess . Just like in other similar laws, like laws for protection for the protection for women, and child support, etc. There are people who end up abuse the system.

I do think that with time, things will get balanced out. Maybe this is what diputados should be working on, instead of uniforms.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
There is a reason for this. This started as a result of how employers used to screw employers and how they had no ways to defend themselfs upon a more powerful person. These laws came into effect to balance that out.

I also know many people who have screwed up by their employess . Just like in other similar laws, like laws for protection for the protection for women, and child support, etc. There are people who end up abuse the system.

I do think that with time, things will get balanced out. Maybe this is what diputados should be working on, instead of uniforms.

Exactly...so ask yourself what would you prefer.... to be able to liquidate an employee and get rid of them or have your employees unionized and be stuck with them forever

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

"I do think that with time, things will get balanced out. Maybe this is what diputados should be working on, instead of uniforms".

The mentality of working 3 months and then getting liquidacion has permeated a large majority of the culture and if you are suggesting that this will somehow reverse itself as the pendulum swings I think you would be waiting for a long time. I paid my employees a fair wage (considerably more than minimum wage), insurance, taxes and still ran into this problem repeatedly not only with front line employees but the last straw was with a project manager.
It is because of this I no longer have any Dominican employees. I have found better results in Venezuela and Colombia. Better work ethic and I don't have to be concerned with liquidacion.