Dominican Diputados: Maids can't be forced to wear uniforms in public

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I have found better results in Venezuela and Colombia. Better work ethic and I don't have to be concerned with liquidacion.

Colombia has similar insurance and liquidacion laws, so you may simply be lucky in that your Colombians don't have DR papers and isn't willing to rock the boat.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We may be over reacting here.

The employee cannot be FORCED to wear the uniform....
meaning she/he can refuse if he/she wants

Let's not forget...
there is no shame here in being in the employ of a 'Rico'.....
driver, maid, laundress - all good jobs with status in some circles

Absolutely. My MIL was a cook for a rich family in Jarabacoa (Mirabal - uncle of Hermanas Mirabals) My wife was the companion of one of the granddaughters , and was kind of like a person maid and chaparone at the same time. As a reward for 25 years of service my MIL was deeded a property in a good location in Jarabacoa. She gave this to my wife to build her first school. They also paid for my wife to attend private school.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Uniforms are pretty common in Santiago, as well.
I know a few nannies whose kids attend very nice private schools because their bosses pay for it as part of the "package."

I've always said I can tell the type of person by how they treat their domestic help here. It really is ass backwards to treat your domestic help poorly - they carry ALL of the secrets of the family whether you think so or not, they are who your kids trust, etc...

As far as this uniform law - it's ironic that the pro-domestic-help movement was started by a wealthy woman whose perspective is that the uniform is embarassing - that part of the law didn't come from the actual workers. And we're stuck on uniforms, but the new law gives domestic workers more rights (health insurance! paid maternity leave!) that they weren't necessarily assured of without this law.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just imagine for minute... if your job gave you clothes when you came to work.
Another freebie.... 

Get fat? Need a refit ?  No problem....

Would you have more or less money at the end of the year?

I see nothing wrong with it. 

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
When I lived in SD, seeing the nannies at the Blue Mall food court was a bit of a culture shock and I didn't like it. We don't have that as a rule in Canada and I interpreted it (the majority of the time) as a status symbol. Some of my students viewed their nannies as disposable and replaceable, while the others adored theirs and would do anything for them. Wealth wasn't the determining factor, it was class and tact.

Are there larger fish to fry? Absolutely. Should they have the choice whether to wear the uniform or not? Absolutely.

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
This says cannot be forced to wear a uniform.  A main or nanny can choose to wear the uniform if he/she wishes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I thought the law to say --
outside the workplace - was where the uniform was optional for the employee

They surely cannot rule inside a house

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
I think public urination, intoxication, gas emission and littering should have been the priority.