Dominican Hipocracy wiith Haiti's delema

Jan 3, 2003
Roberto of DR1

I just assumed it a was a newly coined cobraism like gubmint and edjamacation. :cheeky:

I thought Robert was becoming Roberto and forget-o the ingles.

That's what happens when you espeke the e-spanish too much, hanging with the Dominicans and forget the ingli. :cheeky:

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I don't this it's hipocracy to use the term brother... actually I thought it was the sister country (hermana). Isn't it really used by the church, that we are all brothers and sisters (fraternidad?) I think a disaster of this magnitude reduces us to our common humanity and we set aside our differences and antagonisms.

bilijou

Jun 13, 2006
Can you explain how wishing you can hate your sibling and hiding/treating him/her like a "modern slave" because he/she is darker, a crude analogy!

Where exactly are the similarities, or maybe I just have a different definition of what an analogy is.

I've actually met families with this set up. Never said there is any hate, the darker skinned brother is just looked down on. Is it such a stretch that Haitians do all our dirty chores? (cutting sugar cane, construction, etc.)

So one day the morenito brother falls down the well. The whole town gets involved in rescuing the poor boy. With the whole towns eyes on him the attention seeking lighter skinned brother for obvious reasons makes double the effort to save him. All scraped and bruised the morenito gets out, and his brother comes to his side tells him, "I've been so worried about you!". The morenito looks at him and says, "really? You? But you've always been an a$$hole to me!" hehe

I don't buy all the PR from DR, once everybody forgets about this and they're back home, the morenito will be back to getting his cocotasos!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Our Haitian housekeeper and her Haitian husband have TWO dominican nationality children. Both have their residency and because of that, their children were granted citizenship at birth. And from what I understand, it was the same process we used to declare our children.

Out of interest, can you confirm if a Haitian woman with legal residency would be able to obtain a birth certificate for any child born in DR? (if not your argument would appear rather spurious). In either case, why blame the child for what you appear to see as the sins of the father (or mother)?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I don't know about DOminicans returning to their former lack of philanthropy. In recent years, I've seen an increase in the amount of public giving - and while it might just be things to do because it's "de moda" (like Caminantes por la Vida), it's something and more Dominicans are donating to the "greater good". There's Caminante por la Vida, and the "Corazones" campaign in santiago right now, and "tupuedessersanta" from the salvation army. It's not HUGE, but it's a step in a more philanthropic direction.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
philanthropy?

racism will survive as long as there is greed, ignorance, selfishness,...ect...
when one looks out for another of different race, creed, colour, and sex,...then humanity starts to breathe....

i have seen many tourists treat the dominicans same as haitians...same as anyone in any country that is not thiers...with disrespect and hatred....

i know i wouldn't put up with that attitude from anyone...so i am not surprised when they retaliate...unfortunately it isn't accepted here to defend yourself from this unless you're from another country...then it's legit?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The sudden change in tone in this thread reminds me of this:

"Nosotros no discriminamos a los haitianos, en Rep?blica Dominicana les queremos. Lo que pasa es que hay gente que nos quiere hacer da?o y siempre habla de eso" -Ram?n Jim?nez

"...hay muchas personas que se aferran solo a ver los problemas entre las dos naciones, pero la visita de Fern?ndez demuestra el afecto entre ambas". - Ren? Preval

"54% entiende que las acciones negativas de sus connacionales en el pa?s pueden resultar m?s estresantes que las actitudes de rechazo de los dominicanos". -El estr?s entre universitarios haitianos en RD

"... el 71.2% [de los haitianos] dijo no haber sido ofendido por dominicanos, debido a su origen tanto en el barrio como en el trabajo". -Arquidi?cesis de Santiago

Video - Haitian shows gratitude to Dominicans

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
racism will survive as long as there is greed, ignorance, selfishness,...ect...
when one looks out for another of different race, creed, colour, and sex,...then humanity starts to breathe....

i have seen many tourists treat the dominicans same as haitians...same as anyone in any country that is not thiers...with disrespect and hatred....

In your first statement racism is bad, but then treating the Haitians the same as Dominicans is bad too??
Surely treating a man different because he is Haitian is a form of racism.

I treat them both the same upon first acquaintance - the same way I would treat you.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I doesn't matter how long you will live in another country then your birthcountry, you stay an outsider despite you maybe speak the language perfectly, despite you do all efforts (some do none) to "integrate" yourself as much as possible, you will alway's be that gringo.

You could also say thats a form of racisme, no?

jggm1971

Mar 1, 2008
www.maisongautreaux.net
im with you!!!!
but why dont you put world hipocracy why only the dominican hipocracy when haiti is not helped by the rich countries?
how many years the UN has been in Haiti and what they had done?
i dont know where are you from or the laws of your country but do you know what have to do a poor country citizent to get a visa to enter a rich or developed country?
that is migratory policies but we cannot have it because we are not rich?
first you have to know the country history and then you write!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I doesn't matter how long you will live in another country then your birthcountry, you stay an outsider despite you maybe speak the language perfectly, despite you do all efforts (some do none) to "integrate" yourself as much as possible, you will alway's be that gringo.

Maybe other places but not here in the DR - and you don't even have to speak the language perfectly. Carry oneself well and understand certain things about the culture and one can be accepted by the locals.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe other places but not here in the DR - and you don't even have to speak the language perfectly. Carry oneself well and understand certain things about the culture and one can be accepted by the locals.
Accepted? Yes? But you'll be an accepted gringo.

But always a gringo. And there isn't anything wrong with that. "Gringo" is an identifier.

Jan 3, 2003
Accepted? Yes? But you'll be an accepted gringo.

But always a gringo. And there isn't anything wrong with that. "Gringo" is an identifier.

Exactly, plus the added benefit of being THE OUTSIDER which in the DR gives you that movie star celebrity status.

I feel that is what attracts so many foreigners to permanently live in the DR; the desire to be FAMOUS,LOL!

Willowtears

Dec 17, 2009

OK, no one wants to say it, but for the most part being a "Gringo" in any country is some sort of glorification passport. It's a shame, I believe we should all be regarded for whom we personally are.

Most Dominicans will never look twice at a Haitian individual. For the most part it's always been political animosity, however, many, many Dominicans consider race (color/culture) into consideration.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Exactly, plus the added benefit of being THE OUTSIDER which in the DR gives you that movie star celebrity status.

I feel that is what attracts so many foreigners to permanently live in the DR; the desire to be FAMOUS,LOL!
I dunno about the "fame" thingy (personally speaking.)

I kinda like being left pretty much alone. It's easier to live here under the radar screen than in the states.

I just know that no matter to what extent I try "blending in" that I physically will never be confused for anything other than what I am.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

On second thought, I DO know gringos who are really indistinguishable by any measure back in the states but feel MUCH more important here. Like a rock star or something. So you are onto something...