Dominican Immigration has extended the stay for tourist

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I am now thoroughly confused. I am going to enter as a tourist for 45 days. Will I just pay the usual $10usd for a tourist
card that is now good for 60 days not 30 before it is necessary to pay the overstay fee?

You tourist card continues to be valid for 30 days but you can stay legally for up to 60 days and you pay overstay after your 30 day tourist card expires.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Tourist cards, tourists visas, extensions of either, logistically problematic and confusing for this government and visitors.

Set up a website. Tourists go online at least 72 hours before they arrive in the DR and purchase a visitors visa (like Australia for example). Two options available. 30 days and 90 days priced accordingly. Passport and proof of online visa presented to the airline at check-in and to immigration upon arrival. Overstay the 30 day visa and the exit fee is $150. Overstay the 90 day visa $500.

Overstay twice in a five year period and the system declines to issue you another visa for a 5 year period. At the time of purchase, the system can check for any other conditions that might concern the authorities and refer potential problems to a local embassy for clarification.

Simple, straight forward, easy to implement, easy to enforce and everyone is playing on the same field. If people dying or getting injured here is an issue with people staying over 30 days, add a condition requiring proof of valid travel insurance coverage for the period visitors are in country.

The need to go somewhere after arriving to extend is stupid. The current process is stupid (imo) and needlessly onerous. But in my world, I realize that what I think always makes more sense to me than reality. I am so glad I have residency. At least between renewals, I don't have to deal with the apparent foolishness.

We'll just have to wait and see what settles out of the turbidity in time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No confusion. If you are from Venezuela or Haiti you will have a problem. Any major Country you will not. They are looking to stop the Venezuelans that are coming in droves and working illegally and for less than Dominican salaries.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I , too, am confused .

The only bright spot is that I'm only an observer.

Somebody did catch a unicorn - they got the 60 day extension and reported it here

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Here is Melisa's statement in post #1: "The Immigration Department has extended the legal stay for tourist to 60 days..". This seems to imply that the tourist card will now be valid for 60 days. The letter from MIP seems to say the same(?).

Then, from the letter from MIP, those who need to stay in the country for more than 60 days need to apply for the applicable visa:

"...los nacionales extranjeros que pretendan permanecer en el pais por un periodo mayor a los 60 dias, por estudios, trabajo, residencia, inversion, o otra actividad cuya naturaleza requiera exceder el periodo establecido, deben solicitar el visado correspondiente....". "Tourist isn't mentioned - just students, workers, those applying for residence, investors, and others that have a specific need to stay longer(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
No confusion. If you are from Venezuela or Haiti you will have a problem. Any major Country you will not. They are looking to stop the Venezuelans that are coming in droves and working illegally and for less than Dominican salaries.

I don't see how this has anything to do with Venezuelans or Haitians. With maybe very, very few exceptions, they aren't coming here and travelling back and forth overstaying their tourist card. They are coming here to stay if at all possible. 99.9% of Haitians don't even have or qualify for a tourist visa.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I used to pay attention to all these worrying changes, but now I've decided that until I see evidence of someone being denied entry after overstaying, it will probably just continue to be "Business as Usual".

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Tourist cards, tourists visas, extensions of either, logistically problematic and confusing for this government and visitors.

Set up a website. Tourists go online at least 72 hours before they arrive in the DR and purchase a visitors visa (like Australia for example). Two options available. 30 days and 90 days priced accordingly. Passport and proof of online visa presented to the airline at check-in and to immigration upon arrival. Overstay the 30 day visa and the exit fee is $150. Overstay the 90 day visa $500.

Whoa there buddy.
Slow down. This isn't Australia.
Things work just fine the way they are.
There has been a lot talk in the news
lately about the problems Venezuelans
are having with immigration therefor
bringing more attention to the issue.
Probably has more to do with the negative
press than denying entry to every single
person who's ever overstayed their tourist
card.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Im confused. whats the difference between a tourist card and a tourist visa? It seems this is speaking of the latter

Currently 30 days with one supplied on arrival or by airline and the other obtained abroad at a Dominican Embassy or Consulate.

It is speaking of the maximum tourist stay.

Extract from Article 81, Decreto 631-11 Rules of Application for Immigration Law 285-04

Turista. El Extranjero que ingrese en calidad de Turista estará provisto de Visa de Turista o de una Tarjeta de Turismo. La Visa de Turista es emitida por la misión consular de la República en el exterior, de acuerdo a las disposiciones de la Ley Sobre Visados No. 875, del 31 de julio de 1978, y por el Manual de Normas y Practicas Consulares adoptadas por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores. La Tarjeta de Turismo puede ser adquirida de acuerdo con las disposiciones de la Ley que rige la materia. La permanencia máxima del Turista extranjero en la República Dominicana, es de sesenta (60) días.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Currently 30 days with one supplied on arrival or by airline and the other obtained abroad at a Dominican Embassy or Consulate.

It is speaking of the maximum tourist stay.

Extract from Article 81, Decreto 631-11 Rules of Application for Immigration Law 285-04

Turista. El Extranjero que ingrese en calidad de Turista estará provisto de Visa de Turista o de una Tarjeta de Turismo. La Visa de Turista es emitida por la misión consular de la República en el exterior, de acuerdo a las disposiciones de la Ley Sobre Visados No. 875, del 31 de julio de 1978, y por el Manual de Normas y Practicas Consulares adoptadas por el Ministerio de Relaciones Exteriores. La Tarjeta de Turismo puede ser adquirida de acuerdo con las disposiciones de la Ley que rige la materia. La permanencia máxima del Turista extranjero en la República Dominicana, es de sesenta (60) días.

That still doesnt make sense. First it makes no sense to pay at your embassy when you can get a tourist card upon arrival. Why would anyone do that? And its speaking of the maximum tourist stay for whom? There is obviously a difference between those who have the visa and those who have the $10 card. Does anyone know the true difference?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009

You know it...

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Communication received by all embassies and consulates

Will try to attach the letter here, it's from 17 April this year.

Had to use a url to link it, lets see if it works.. 
https://xpotours.com/immigration.jpg

immigration.jpg

You know it...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Im confused. whats the difference between a tourist card and a tourist visa? It seems this is speaking of the latter

Almost everyone from most countries that come here as a tourist do not need to apply for a tourist visa in order to enter the country. When you arrive, you just present your passport and are given a tourist card.

Foreigners from some countries, Haiti for example, are required to apply for and receive a tourist visa. Students, workers, investors, and others who are going to be here for more than 60 days need to apply for a student visa, worker visa, investor visa, etc.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Almost everyone from most countries that come here as a tourist do not need to apply for a tourist visa in order to enter the country. When you arrive, you just present your passport and are given a tourist card.

Foreigners from some countries, Haiti for example, are required to apply for and receive a tourist visa. Students, workers, investors, and others who are going to be here for more than 60 days need to apply for a student visa, worker visa, investor visa, etc.

Yeah I figured that out when the poster added the link. Thanks.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yeah I figured that out when the poster added the link. Thanks.

US Nationals can apply for the Tourist Visa, which is valid for 60 days, too as the Dominican Embassy USA link I attached:

TOURIST VISA:

Tourist Visas are issued for tourist, cultural trips, and for conferences or conventions.

The Tourist Visa is valid for one or multiple entries within 60 days of the issuing.

Posters have before enquired at their relevant embassy and been told it is not required and use overstay but that might change after the memo issued the other day as the recent post.

Jan 7, 2016
US Nationals can apply for the Tourist Visa, which is valid for 60 days, too as the Dominican Embassy USA link I attached:

TOURIST VISA:

Tourist Visas are issued for tourist, cultural trips, and for conferences or conventions.

The Tourist Visa is valid for one or multiple entries within 60 days of the issuing.

Posters have before enquired at their relevant embassy and been told it is not required and use overstay but that might change after the memo issued the other day as the recent post.

That particular Visa mentioned, is more expensive than the $10 US Card the airlines are now providing in your ticket (since 28 April). It is priced more in the range of 20-30 dollars. Still cheap compared to some countries.

I would appear that if you leave the country after your 60 days, you can be denied re-entry to the DR until you pay-up the overstay fee you earned on your last overstay. This way, they can collect their money on the front end, rather at departure, as this slows-up the exit lines at the Immigration desks at the airports. Makes total sense to me, but then, I am a Resident.