Dominican Passport for naturalized Dominican

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As a naturalized Dominican citizen, I have to exit and enter DR using Dominican passport. In some countries I travel to, I show another passport on arrival for visa-free entry, but that has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.
As a naturalized DR citizen and a born USA citizen, I have to exit the DR using my USA passport if I am going to the USA. I know this because they made me change my E-Ticket on departure for my last USA trip.

I can re-enter on my DR passport, because I now have one, but if I didn't I could enter on my US passport. I was under no obligation that I know of to get a DR passport when I was naturalized.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You have to ask that in their Puero Plata office. If they say only in SD, then only in SD. This renewal mess for naturalized citizens will continue for at least few years more for sure. And that certificado de nacionalidad needed for renewal now you can obtain only in SD anyway. You will need two trips to SD for that part only.
It is absolutely ludicrous that anything besides my cedula and my passport are needed to renew. But, this is the DR where the hard is easy and the simple is often impossible.

If I need 2 or 3 trips to Santo Traficjam just to renew my DR passport, I may never do that again. It is about time they figured out how to network databases.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
As a naturalized DR citizen and a born USA citizen, I have to exit the DR using my USA passport if I am going to the USA. I know this because they made me change my E-Ticket on departure for my last USA trip.

I can re-enter on my DR passport, because I now have one, but if I didn't I could enter on my US passport. I was under no obligation that I know of to get a DR passport when I was naturalized.
Exactly

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
To make it short, you may get your Dominican citizenship, get Dominican cedula and never get your Dominican passport and use your US passport for entry and exit. But entering with any foreign passport makes it 'locked' in their system after tourist card time expires, so when you leave DR later, you will be asked all those overstay questions, etc. If you live in DR permanently, giving both passports to Dominican immigration officer when you leave DR just makes it easier, you don't have to say a word and they don't ask any questions, they look at your US (or any other) passport as a proof that you can enter US (or whatever destination you go to), and they put an exit stamp in your Dominican passport. When you come back, you use your Dominican passport to enter DR, no questions asked.
I forgot already, what is the benefit of a Dominican passport?
There are some benefits for some people. Probably you are not one of them.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are a Dominican citizen and US you DO NOT need a Dominican passport to avoid any questions about leaving with a US passport and paying any Overstay fee. You just take out your Cedula and show it and the discussion is over. Also an expired DR Passport is also fine to show. You cannot get that if you are NOT a citizen here.........

Reactions: windeguy

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
To make it short, you may get your Dominican citizenship, get Dominican cedula and never get your Dominican passport and use your US passport for entry and exit. But entering with any foreign passport makes it 'locked' in their system after tourist card time expires, so when you leave DR later, you will be asked all those overstay questions, etc. If you live in DR permanently, giving both passports to Dominican immigration officer when you leave DR just makes it easier, you don't have to say a word and they don't ask any questions, they look at your US (or any other) passport as a proof that you can enter US (or whatever destination you go to), and they put an exit stamp in your Dominican passport. When you come back, you use your Dominican passport to enter DR, no questions asked.

How do you know? I've left the country two times after I got naturalized, never had any concerns at all when leaving.. so at least in my case your statements are not accurate.

By the way, didn't someone on this forum state that this country has changed and they things with the government had become easier and less fuss... 🙄

And well I'm happy that I'm not dependent on that passport, as I also found it completely useless to have as I don't plan to be traveling anywhere it's a benefit have. And well although I might have thought of actually fixing it, now I'm definitely not going to do it. Always hated to go to SD for anything..

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
How do you know? I've left the country two times after I got naturalized, never had any concerns at all when leaving.. so at least in my case your statements are not accurate.
There's actually a law that describes everything. What passports naturalized foreigners show, what passports Dominicans living in US or other countries show, what passports Dominican women married to foreign citizens and naturalized in those countries show when they exit DR, etc....It's old law, but still in effect. The last time I have read it was about 20 years ago, so I don't remember its number, but I remember what it said.

I don't expect any immigration officer at any DR airport to be aware of any law at all, so they may proceed as they like or as their chief of staff told them, and there may be variations from airport to airport. In Santo Domingo airport they do it pretty much by the book, and I always got my entry and exit stamps in my Dominican passport for the last 20 years, there was just one exception in 2009 when an immigration officer put the exit stamp in my foreign passport.

Big

Apr 24, 2019

are you able to articulate here, any reasons why someone should have a Dominican passport? My (U.S) passport works all over the free world.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

It is no big deal to get your foreign passport unlocked. I have a Dominican passport as well. I show both along with my cedula and the unlocking process takes less than five minutes. Never been asked any overstay questions. There is still a requirement to unlock the passport, then it is reset when you come back.

Reactions: Big

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You will need 4 trips, maybe even 5. And once again, it's not about how to network databases. They do it like that on purpose now.
The reason is system integrity. The moment you let satellite offices produce official documents it turns into a free for all of govt. employees enriching themselves.
Keeping it in one place makes it infinitely simpler to control.
I know one person who is a millionaire (USD) now from selling documents.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
are you able to articulate here, any reasons why someone should have a Dominican passport? My (U.S) passport works all over the free world.
As I mentioned before, if you don't know why someone might want to have another passport, then you are not a person who needs one.

And I think I have already answered topic starter's question in post #3. I don't see the point to answer yours.

Reactions: Taylor and windeguy

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017

You have to use your USA passport at exit to go to the USA as that is proof of you eligibility to enter the USA
A Dominican passport is not valid to enter the USA unless accompanied by a valid visa or residency document.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
You have to use your USA passport at exit to go to the USA as that is proof of you eligibility to enter the USA
A Dominican passport is not valid to enter the USA unless accompanied by a valid visa or residency document.

I show my foreign passport with US Visa only at check in and since day one have autogate with my DR passport. Go through the machine takes max a minute, same on return.

Reactions: SKY

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You will need 4 trips, maybe even 5. And once again, it's not about how to network databases. They do it like that on purpose now.
Well, that sucks. Probably won't bother renewing again unless I really have to do so. I HATE Santo Domingo.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
I forgot already, what is the benefit of a Dominican passport?
Apparently you are legal to drive, vote, be treated as a Dominican in court.
Of course if you are caucasian you are still a pinche gringo, and no-one cares about your supposed Dominican passport.
It seems you can also have a businesses (which some have without citizenship) and earn loads of money.

Of course being fortunate to be a first world citizen,
You could travel to most countries without a visa,
One could make fortunes off island with proper legal structures and just vacation here, as long as one wants on overstay.
As JD advised us, you could also buy a luxury villa in Cabrera.

Beaches and sunshine does not make a paradise.
Amazing how people whine about bureaucracy and cost of living in the developed world.
They move to a poor country with more un-digitalized bureaucracy, poor infrastructure and higher cost of living and consumer goods.

Poor business plan.
Put me down as a sceptic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Apparently you are legal to drive, vote, be treated as a Dominican in court.
That is already true if you are DR naturalized citizen. It has zero to do with if you have a DR passport or not.
Of course if you are caucasian you are still a pinche gringo, and no-one cares about your supposed Dominican passport.
It seems you can also have a businesses (which some have without citizenship) and earn loads of money.
Being a legal resident allows working here and getting a license to drive here.
Passports are for travel in and out of the DR. Your cedula is the key document.
Of course being fortunate to be a first world citizen,
You could travel to most countries without a visa,
One could make fortunes off island with proper legal structures and just vacation here, as long as one wants on overstay.
As JD advised us, you could also buy a luxury villa in Cabrera.

Beaches and sunshine does not make a paradise.
Amazing how people whine about bureaucracy and cost of living in the developed world.
They move to a poor country with more un-digitalized bureaucracy, poor infrastructure and higher cost of living and consumer goods.

Poor business plan.
Put me down as a sceptic.
Glad I never came here to run a business. Retiring was far better.
The DR I live in is considerably less costly than my home country would be.
So I remain here.