Dominican Passport for naturalized Dominican

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
So this is just overcomplicating things and also making sure that as few as possible are actually willing to go through this.
It's not that complicated if you live in Santo Domingo. And those who decided to live in tourist areas, you knew from the beginning that for every important thing you have to travel to the capital, right? :)

Reactions: Taylor

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's not that complicated if you live in Santo Domingo. And those who decided to live in tourist areas, you knew from the beginning that for every important thing you have to travel to the capital, right? :)
Except once you have done your original naturalization and gone through the agony of getting your first passport ( 4 trips to SD for me), all your information is on a computer that can be accessed by any government passport office. If you show up with the required paperwork, they should be able to process it. The bogus passports are a weak excuse. Once you are a citizen you should be treated the same as any other Dominican citizen, not a second class one.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Except once you have done your original naturalization and gone through the agony of getting your first passport ( 4 trips to SD for me), all your information is on a computer that can be accessed by any government passport office. If you show up with the required paperwork, they should be able to process it. The bogus passports are a weak excuse. Once you are a citizen you should be treated the same as any other Dominican citizen, not a second class one.
You are correct, however I thought the same thing and having 3 Passports already found out different. Worse than the original. Not worth renewing...............

• Sad
Reactions: windeguy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have one thing I have to do in Santo Domingo each year based upon some ridiculous regulations the government has on another topic.

I hate Santo Domingo, so I could never live here. I would rather live in Florida than Santo Domingo. There was never a concern about me not living there.
It simply would never happen.

I can certainly be without renewing my Dominican passport if it takes more than one trip to Santo Domingo to get it.
Agreed. 100%. Just another example of government incompetence and corruption. Dominicans are prone to fraud if there is money to be made or an advantage to be gotten. Therein lies the rub. Just read the daily news to see how obvious that is with officials and police being complicit in crimes.

Passport fraud could be countered by the correct software so that corrupt employees could not work around it , but that is apparently beyond their capabilities here. The data for naturalized citizens is on the servers for the Ministry of the Interior and Police for farks sake.

It begs the question even for citizens, what good is a cedula if the people issuing them are corrupt as well?
Perhaps they should have only one place in Santo Domingo where those are issued for the entire country.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
It begs the question even for citizens, what good is a cedula if the people issuing them are corrupt as well?
Perhaps they should have only one place in Santo Domingo where those are issued for the entire country.
Cedula is just a piece of plastic outside the country, people don't travel internationally using cedula as a travel document, so irregularly issued cedulas don't bring any international attention, but passports do. I remember that JCE used to publish lists of numbers of cancelled cedulas some years ago on some occasions, I think that were cedulas illegally issued to Haitians or something like that, also some double identities, based on fake birth certificates, and so on. I honestly don't remember the details, but they published something for sure, during Danilo's Government.

Passport is another thing, it brings too much of international attention when another network of 'bad guys' is discovered somewhere and they all have Dominican passports. DR Government doesn't need it in daily news, especially now, so they better treat a little group of people like a second class citizens when they renew their passports.
Once you are a citizen you should be treated the same as any other Dominican citizen, not a second class one.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
Except once you have done your original naturalization and gone through the agony of getting your first passport ( 4 trips to SD for me), all your information is on a computer that can be accessed by any government passport office. If you show up with the required paperwork, they should be able to process it.
You probably missed the point that some of the required paperwork (certificado de nacionalidad) can be issued in SD only and only that piece of paper will cost you 2 trip to SD. They did not ask for that document in original before for renewals, you could bring the copy of your old one, and it could be a copy of a certificado, or a resolucion, or even a copy of that mandatory publication in the newspaper. Right now, the certificado de nacionalidad issued not more than 6 months ago is on the list of required paperwork, and it should be in a sealed envelope with MIP stamps, the same like when you got your first passport. So now, when you renew, you get the same sealed envelope in MIP and bring it to Pasaportes together with your birth certificate and old passport. And once again, you can get that sealed envelope in SD only, and you will need 2 trips to SD to get it.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
The data for naturalized citizens is on the servers for the Ministry of the Interior and Police for farks sake.
I believe when they issue the certificado de nacionalidad, they don't just look at the data on their servers. I doubt they trust data on their own servers at all, because any data could be compromised and manipulated. I believe what they do is they find your record in their archives in that building and compare all your data to make sure everything is genuine. That's why it takes 10 to 20 days to issue that paper, if it was just about printing something from their system, they could do it right in front of you in a few minutes.

And since their archives, as well as their staff, are located in that building in Gazcue in Santo Domingo, they will not produce that document in Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Jarabacoa or Punta Cana to please some people who leave there and hate Santo Domingo. You need important documents, you go to Santo Domingo, period.

(I doubt that in other countries like Costa Rica they have government offices right next to hot springs somewhere at Arenal volcano, to please some expats who live there and hate trips to San Jose, lol)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe when they issue the certificado de nacionalidad, they don't just look at the data on their servers. I doubt they trust data on their own servers at all, because any data could be compromised and manipulated. I believe what they do is they find your record in their archives in that building and compare all your data to make sure everything is genuine. That's why it takes 10 to 20 days to issue that paper, if it was just about printing something from their system, they could do it right in front of you in a few minutes.
Understood and yet ludicrous at the same time.
And since their archives, as well as their staff, are located in that building in Gazcue in Santo Domingo, they will not produce that document in Sosua, Cabarete, Las Terrenas, Jarabacoa or Punta Cana to please some people who leave there and hate Santo Domingo. You need important documents, you go to Santo Domingo, period.
Well, I won't bother to renew if still true when the time comes.
(I doubt that in other countries like Costa Rica they have government offices right next to hot springs somewhere at Arenal volcano, to please some expats who live there and hate trips to San Jose, lol)
I would do it if it took one trip to Santo Traficjam. Two trips? Forgetabouit. The process is ridiculous as it is now.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You probably missed the point that some of the required paperwork (certificado de nacionalidad) can be issued in SD only and only that piece of paper will cost you 2 trip to SD. They did not ask for that document in original before for renewals, you could bring the copy of your old one, and it could be a copy of a certificado, or a resolucion, or even a copy of that mandatory publication in the newspaper. Right now, the certificado de nacionalidad issued not more than 6 months ago is on the list of required paperwork, and it should be in a sealed envelope with MIP stamps, the same like when you got your first passport. So now, when you renew, you get the same sealed envelope in MIP and bring it to Pasaportes together with your birth certificate and old passport. And once again, you can get that sealed envelope in SD only, and you will need 2 trips to SD to get it.
Asinine. And so it goes

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Quote: I would do it if it took one trip to Santo Traficjam. Two trips? Forgetabouit. The process is ridiculous as it is now

One trip? You cannot do it in two for sure................

• Angry

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quote: I would do it if it took one trip to Santo Traficjam. Two trips? Forgetabouit. The process is ridiculous as it is now

One trip? You cannot do it in two for sure................
It that situation remains the same when mine expires, I will frame it and put it in my "hysterical archives".

The good news is people without a very good reason to have a DR passport after being naturalized will know by reading this thread not to bother getting even the first one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And of course, they require you to have a copy of your original when you apply for the sealed copy....lol.
I would have to check my "hysterical archives" for that. Did I even get a copy of what was in that hermetically sealed envelope? Hmmm.

Glenn Burke

Sep 12, 2023
Santo Domingo
And of course, they require you to have a copy of your original when you apply for the sealed copy....lol.
Yes, that's right! They require a copy of the original one. Because that's what they will look for in their archives to compare. And they give you two new originals, one is sealed for Pasaportes and another one is just for your personal use, so at least you can read it and check that all your data is correct (because you can't read the one inside the sealed envelope).

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005
Guzman will get it for you for a fee. You can sign off at their offices around the country. Saves you 2 trips, so that's worth something.

• Wow

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Guzman will get it for you for a fee. You can sign off at their offices around the country. Saves you 2 trips, so that's worth something.
Is it worth paying a lawyers fee for a Passport that you REALLY don't need. Guzman will charge a few hundred dollars or more..............And you won't just sit home and go once to pick it up........

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is it worth paying a lawyers fee for a Passport that you REALLY don't need. Guzman will charge a few hundred dollars or more..............And you won't just sit home and go once to pick it up........
Exactly my thoughts. Not worth the money.

Either they make it simple or I am one and done.

I can renew my US passport here in the DR using DOMEX. No trips other than to the DOMEX local office, no lawyers, etc needed. Think about it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Exactly my thoughts. Not worth the money.

Either they make it simple or I am one and done.

I can renew my US passport here in the DR using DOMEX. No trips other than to the DOMEX local office, no lawyers, etc needed. Think about it.
I do need to make one trip to the Canadian Embassy to renew my Canadian passport, but they have it delivered to you.

• Wow

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
It that situation remains the same when mine expires, I will frame it and put it in my "hysterical archives".

The good news is people without a very good reason to have a DR passport after being naturalized will know by reading this thread not to bother getting even the first one.

Hell,
It's so convoluted, you may move to Florida or California.
Sort of kidding, your love of DR and family surely is stronger than your dislike of the ludicrous DR gob.do system.

You are much stronger than I.
My family wanted to move back, I'm only here part of the year.
Too much world off island where I am natural;), to miss out on it.

I have two Passports, none of them DR.

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hell,
It's so convoluted, you may move to Florida or California.
Sort of kidding, your love of DR and family surely is stronger than your dislike of the ludicrous DR gob.do system.

You are much stronger than I.
My family wanted to move back, I'm only here part of the year.
Too much world off island where I am natural;), to miss out on it.

I have two Passports, none of them DR.
No, I am not yet old enough to live in Florida. That will happen when I don't know where I am.
I did not have quite enough to retire in California.

So I will just ignore renewing my DR passport. One more stupid thing here, which is DR passport renewals for naturalized citizens.
At least people don't have to renew their birth certificates any more.
Maybe someday they will get their act together regarding such passports, but it is no big deal at the end of the day for me.

• Haha
Reactions: JD Jones