Dominican Republic # 91 cheapest place to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
and why not ? for 5 months in a year its good to ciuntry to live (or more if you winter and rain).
good infrastructure, educated people, good food, one of the cheapest countries in EU, mountains, lakes,valleys and some beaches.....
i'm surprised, thou, that poland fared so well. why was it considered as retirement destination at all? i wanna retire to poland, said no one ever.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
well actually now tthese days Venezuela is one the cheapest countries in the world and probably best value for many things.
IF YOU HAVE CASH USD or EUR.
that comes with lots of risk of course... and if you have Venezuelan salary/pension is probably one of the worst countries to live

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Hi William,

That's interesting. I was not aware of this option.
I was going to sell my car here in UK before coming over, but this information is making me reconsider.

My car is a 2013 (63 plate - which only makes sense to a Brit) Mazda CX-5 which I've had since new (i.e. 2.5 years).
Would this meet the criteria you mentioned above? And if so, can you point me in the direction of where I can get all the specific information about this please?

Many thanks,

Rob

I heard there was a rule about Right hand drive cars. My Pajero was converted here to LHD as direct Jap imports are RHD but was told that you can't drive RHD.
It could be just a rumour but worth checking first.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That crossed my mind.... the RHD issue

You could convert before or after arrival....
might be cheaper in RD but UK may give you more comfort

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and why not ? for 5 months in a year its good to ciuntry to live (or more if you winter and rain).
good infrastructure, educated people, good food, one of the cheapest countries in EU, mountains, lakes,valleys and some beaches.....

it is a good country to live but it is populated by the most gloomy, miserable and bleak people in the EU. they will suck all the joy out of you.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
have you been to Germany, UK, Finland, Austria, Russia, Ukraine, Sweden, Hungary, Czech Republic ? they all have similar mentality due to the weather conditions and so on.
you seem like another self hating/ loathing Pole, there is already one self loathing Dominican on this forum (rfp), so.......
and probably it also depends with who/ what kind of people you surround yourself in any of the mentioned countries above, including Poland :beard:
EDIT: and it also depends what kind of like you have back in your country / in any of the mentioned countries:pirate:
it is a good country to live but it is populated by the most gloomy, miserable and bleak people in the EU. they will suck all the joy out of you.

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
lol, and why is that ? ever been there ? reality check, hello !:tired::tired:

Haha! Maybe a bit of an exaggeration! Yes. Been to the POP Malecon lots of times. Never alone. Always with friends. Had lots of fun, met loads of locals and expats, and never had a problem. There is a very high police presence there on the weekends and I feel safe. Would I go alone while wearing an expensive watch or gold chain. Never!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
well actually now tthese days Venezuela is one the cheapest countries in the world and probably best value for many things.
IF YOU HAVE CASH USD or EUR.
that comes with lots of risk of course... and if you have Venezuelan salary/pension is probably one of the worst countries to live

Big problems in Venezuela now. Due to low oil prices and corruption, the country is on the verge of bankruptcy. People are actually rioting in the streets. I'd stay away from there until the economyy stabilizes.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
My decision to stay on a resort for the winter months at $1200 a month for everything certainly makes living here cheaper than living in Canada. However, when I buy property and a vehicle here, I expect the scales to tip the other way. I have no mortgage and annual taxes on my lake property are $240 a year, vehicle and house insurance amount to $750 a year, add in groceries, gas, electricity, and social activities and my monthly living costs in Canada are about $2000 a month. I suspect living full time in the DR will cost a lot more plus I have to carry extra health insurance, pay more for gas, electricity, citizenship fees and taxes, etc. I currently drive a fully equipped all wheel drive vehicle. A similar vehicle in the DR will cost 30% more and insurance is more expensive. Factor in the US-Canada exchange and I will be taking a 30% hit on my spending power.
Insurance is more expensive?? My insurance in the DR is $125.USD a year,it is $700. in the U.S.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
what I meant was: have you been to Algeria and Egypt ? how do you know that its dangerous if you never been there ?
well, FYI: is as dangerous as DR. which for some people in DR means "I will never leave my resort, its so dangerous outside" and for others: "**** that, lets drive a bike here !"
Haha! Maybe a bit of an exaggeration! Yes. Been to the POP Malecon lots of times. Never alone. Always with friends. Had lots of fun, met loads of locals and expats, and never had a problem. There is a very high police presence there on the weekends and I feel safe. Would I go alone while wearing an expensive watch or gold chain. Never!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
very much so, indeed. but thats not the case here.
you may deny as long you want to :)

ok then, i am a self hating polak. i never refuse a bone to a hungry viralata and it's clearly of importance to you. :cheeky:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Hi William,

That's interesting. I was not aware of this option.
I was going to sell my car here in UK before coming over, but this information is making me reconsider.

My car is a 2013 (63 plate - which only makes sense to a Brit) Mazda CX-5 which I've had since new (i.e. 2.5 years).
Would this meet the criteria you mentioned above? And if so, can you point me in the direction of where I can get all the specific information about this please?

Many thanks,

Rob

I wouldn't have thought that would be viable from the UK. The cost of shipping would probably outweigh any savings on buying one here. And then if you have to convert it to left hand drive it would be very expensive. On old cars it wasn't so difficult but modern cars are so much more complicated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The cost...it just goes in the container

Container goes from 20 ft to 40 ft... not a big deal.

The conversion RHD to LHD might be costly

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I can only compare with my home country and it doesn't surprise me that the Netherlands is cheaper to live and retire than DR. I kind of live like my brother but spend twice as much.

Having lived one year in Amsterdam 2007 and one year in Santo Domingo 2014, I don't know how people come up
with these results. No way in hell is the Netherlands cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.