dominican spanish compared to other spanish speaking countries...differences?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mattie,

When learning new words and working on your lessons, I think it is helpful if you talk to yourself outloud--not so loud that you bother others, but so you can hear yourself in your mind's ear. This keeps you from translating and thinking the word in English. It also gives you the opportunity to work on pronounciation.

You are right that many Dominican's speak too fast to be understood. I have heard it jokingly said by Dominicans that some Dominicans can't understand others for that reason. But Dominicans, as well as other nationalities, that are learning English have the same complaint about Americans. They say we speak to fast. Nothing like going through the pain of learning another language to cause you to slow down and speak distinctly to someone whose English is the second language. I find that the better educated Dominicans speak slower and more distinctly than do many other Dominicans. Also, they are less likely to run words together and drop letters in the middle of a word.

When you come to the DR, plan to speak Spanish at every opportunity, even though you have to speak in convoluted phrases, using the words that you know, in order to say what you want to say. There is no better way to learn than to make mistakes. It will help you discover the words that are important for you to know; and it will improve your Spanish, poco a poco.

And keep saying mas dispacio or habla mas dispacio in order to convey the need for the person you are talking with to slow down.

(Don't be surprised if you find that for many this is difficult. They say a few words slowly, that go into high gear again. It is almost like tieing the hands of a person who is accustomed to make a lot of hand and arm motions when they speak.)

Ken

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Jane, for catching my dumb typing error. That's what happens when you don't proof read.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
My favorite saying when returning to the DR

until my ear gets accustomed to the language again is "Lento,suave por favor!!!". My bad grammer usually gets a laugh and the person speaking to me slows down to "help" me understand and learn their language every time!! Works like a charm.......;)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
mattie,

Suggest that you do a google search for "learn Spanish" (without the quotes). You will get links to a number of sites where you can get free Spanish instruction and resources.

Ken