Dominican Spanish

May 12, 2005
ZOna-5-600x345.png

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Senores una amiga que tengo en FB se burlo de mi pues el otro dia yo puse una V de Vaca donde iva una B de Burro como tu...

Ja ja

I made a quick comment regardless to her bulling... I said;
People... I have some friends whom 30 years after they decided the US will be their home country... Theses people still can not have a small conversation in English...

Not me, that's why I am forgetting my Spanish! LOL

JJ

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Senores una amiga que tengo en FB se burlo de mi pues el otro dia yo puse una V de Vaca donde iva una B de Burro como tu...

Ja ja

I made a quick comment regardless to her bulling... I said;
People... I have some friends whom 30 years after they decided the US will be their home country... Theses people still can not have a small conversation in English...

Not me, that's why I am forgetting my Spanish! LOL

JJ

I don't think you make these mistakes in Spanish because you are in an English environment. I always see Spanish spelling errors in your posts especially when it's a word with a b or v or just words in general. These are spelling errors you make in Spanish from what I can see from your posts.

Even in this post you wrote iva and it should be iba. (Iva does not even look right in Spanish).

Why do people have problems spelling with these two letters and in Spanish in general? It's much easier to spell in Spanish than in English in my opinion.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
some of my spanish comes from reading new words and expression in newspapers so i see how the words are spelled. i think lots of people who make spelling mistakes in spanish (that goes for native speakers as well) don't read a lot so they just guess the spelling. i also noticed that there was no point in asking "v como vaca o b como burro" because for all too many people think it's baca/burro, vaca/vurro or baca/vurro. when i worked in the pharmacy i just said "be largo (b) o be corto (v)".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
some of my spanish comes from reading new words and expression in newspapers so i see how the words are spelled. i think lots of people who make spelling mistakes in spanish (that goes for native speakers as well) don't read a lot so they just guess the spelling. i also noticed that there was no point in asking "v como vaca o b como burro" because for all too many people think it's baca/burro, vaca/vurro or baca/vurro. when i worked in the pharmacy i just said "be largo (b) o be corto (v)".

I know why people spell incorrectly in Spanish and in language in general. I just thought I would throw the question out there as food for thought.

However, I agree with what you said. A major part of the problem is lack of reading and in my opinion, a large part of the Dominican population is illiterate or functionally illiterate. Therefore, they cannot spell. This does not even include people who cannot read and write at all. What we are seeing in the examples in this thread is how the functional illiterate in the DR write and it’s a sad reflection of a broken (public) education system for decades. Can you imagine if Cervantes were able to read this? All hell would break loose.

Don’t forget when referring to the alphabet all forms are feminine. It’s incorrect to say be largo (b) or be corto (v) as written in your post. That does not exist in Spanish. It’s be larga and be corta. In Spanish, you will also hear be grande and be chica.

Okay for those us who are struggling to read this patois, I attempted to translate the latest post by dv8.

For those of us who write Spanish the traditional way here is what the note says:

Qu? pasa con la gente que no aman a Dios pero eres quien de que Dios envi? a su ?nico y yo a morir por ti y por mis…

I did not bother torturing myself to read post #29 in full. What a mess.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you see, i must have said be largo o be corto hundreds of times and no one ever corrected me! btw, asking that never helped either because none of our clients ever got the spelling right.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I don't think you make these mistakes in Spanish because you are in an English environment. I always see Spanish spelling errors in your posts especially when it's a word with a b or v or just words in general. These are spelling errors you make in Spanish from what I can see from your posts.

Even in this post you wrote iva and it should be iba. (Iva does not even look right in Spanish).

Why do people have problems spelling with these two letters and in Spanish in general? It's much easier to spell in Spanish than in English in my opinion.

-MP.

Yes I have a big problem trying to figure out when V or B should be used, my Mother who was a Spanish teacher long time ago and my wife are always blaming on me about this....

Another problem I have is when using S or C and in some case Z as they may sound alike in some words.

JJ

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
you see, i must have said be largo o be corto hundreds of times and no one ever corrected me! btw, asking that never helped either because none of our clients ever got the spelling right.

I would not ask them because you have to know your customers.

When one constantly sees incorrect spelling those same people will tell you that your spelling is incorrect. In the world of celbesa vien fr?a- do you think you stand a chance telling them that their spelling is wrong? Good luck.

Yes I have a big problem trying to figure out when V or B should be used, my Mother who was a Spanish teacher long time ago and my wife are always blaming on me about this....

Another problem I have is when using S or C and in some case Z as they may sound alike in some words.

JJ

Do you have a Spanish dictionary? That’s a starting point in improving your spelling. As well, buy a Spanish grammar book. The rules of spelling etc. are covered in several chapters. The usage b and v and c, z, s are explained in detail. This is a problem that can be solved immediately. Start reading in Spanish and with the internet there are so many options.

-MP.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've never had issues with spelling or language in general. I grew up in "un campo de Cotui" and went to public schools. All around me all I heard was deep Cibaeno accents and lots of older people saying things like "Asina memo", yet the Cibaeno 'i' never stuck with me or come to think of it most of my brothers and sisters either. I do have some nephews who have very deep Cibaeno accents.

Having said all that I always thought it was conceited of some people to say other people didn't speak "right" only because they have different accents. I understand the need for some kind of grammatical structure in languages and all that, but languages evolve and just because Spain's Real Academia claims they're the authority and whatever they say is "correct" doesn't mean it is in the real world. I think as long as we can understand each other everything is all good. The language also needs to be updated to the new realities of texting, etc...let's be honest it is a lot more efficient to use the shorthands younger people use nowadays. Eventually these "words" will just have to be accepted as good and valid even in formal writing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Having said all that I always thought it was conceited of some people to say other people didn't speak "right" only because they have different accents. I understand the need for some kind of grammatical structure in languages and all that, but languages evolve and just because Spain's Real Academia claims they're the authority and whatever they say is "correct" doesn't mean it is in the real world. I think as long as we can understand each other everything is all good. The language also needs to be updated to the new realities of texting, etc...let's be honest it is a lot more efficient to use the shorthands younger people use nowadays. Eventually these "words" will just have to be accepted as good and valid even in formal writing.

accent is not the same as butchering the language on the account of complete stupidity and lack of education. mistakes like in the FB post i linked will never make it into the cannon of language because that's what they are,mistakes. language is flexible and it changes, yes. and lots of those changes are included in official dictionaries. but not babble spewed by idiots. there is a difference in accepting the spelling of "el computador" and "la computadora" and accepting "koputato".

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
accent is not the same as butchering the language on the account of complete stupidity and lack of education. mistakes like in the FB post i linked will never make it into the cannon of language because that's what they are,mistakes. language is flexible and it changes, yes. and lots of those changes are included in official dictionaries. but not babble spewed by idiots. there is a difference in accepting the spelling of "el computador" and "la computadora" and accepting "koputato".

DV8 you saved me from responding because accents have nothing to do with illiteracy as you stated. The examples you posted evidence illiteracy in the Dominican population to point where reading what?s written is difficult or impossible to read at times.

Spanish is the official language of twenty countries. This is like saying the DR can have its own way of writing the language thus disconnecting itself from the Spanish-speaking world. There has to be a standard or the language will no longer be unified. I like the unity of Spanish. Regionalisms and colloquial speech side, one can go anywhere in the Spanish-speaking world and communicate. If speakers start inventing their own way of writing, the language will deteriorate into something other than Spanish, for example a hybrid form and it does not need to come down to this in the midst of change.

In terms of adaptation, Spanish has adapted and many new words have come into the language because of technology and the internet. That shows the flexibility that it has and as well many borrowed words from English have been phonetically adapted to Spanish.

Texting is a whole different story. I think short forms are okay but there?s a difference between short forms and the illiteracy evidenced in text messages and social media on the internet.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
How about between voz and vos?
Der Fish

I am sure people mix up the two not realizing that the spelling changes the meaning. However, once again it's going back to the basics. An educated Spanish speaker should know that voz and vos are two different words and they are not interchangeable either.

-MP.