Dominican Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
I think he/she means the word vos.
?A vos le gusta el programa La Voz?
Dominicans do not use the word vos a substitute for tu.

Of course I know the difference between voz and vos and of course I know that in the DR the pronoun vos is not used as a substitute for t? but I was challenging back his sense of humour and his knowledge at the same time.

Not using vos in the DR has nothing to do with being an educated speaker or not as he bolded in my post. It?s simply because el voseo is not used in the DR. It?s used predominantly in the Southern Cone area of South America and Costa Rica and also in pockets (regions) of other countries in the Spanish-speaking world.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today diario libre has a good article about dominican letreros:
http://www.listin.com.do/la-republi...res-con-errores-ortograficos-realmente-graves
they put the mistakes down to the fact people do not read much.
they also give few examples...

vn36tz.jpg

v6l0ki.jpg

x6foyo.jpg

4snr52.jpg

2s19l5h.jpg

and my favourite:

102rozd.jpg

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
today diario libre has a good article about dominican letreros:
Carteles populares con errores garrafales - listindiario.com
they put the mistakes down to the fact people do not read much.
they also give few examples...

It is not only that people don?t read much but it?s also about having access to education and completing high school at least. The dropout rate is high in the DR.

Once again these signs are a reflection of a country that has a profound illiteracy problem. In general, hand written signs can have errors because if the individual who writes them is not literate and is careless, there may be errors. However, when one constantly observes incorrect spelling by locals (not foreigners writing in Spanish) across the whole country, it means the education system and government have failed to deliver.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I find many of these signs hard to read and it?s like a sub form of the language. Any educated Spanish speaker would have trouble reading these signs.

The article sums up the problem well and it?s easy to agree with what has been written. The challenge is how to correct it when education in the DR is so insufficient. As well, there has to be an interest and emphasis on reading. Speaking Spanish (or any language) is one aspect but being able to read and write is absolutely necessary especially in your own language. It ties into the larger problem of how do these elected presidents expect to advance the country when the average citizen can?t read or write?

Two key phrases I liked from the article:

Sin embargo, en la mayor?a de carteles usados para promocionar las bondades de bienes y servicios es notorio el maltrato del idioma.

Estamos hablando de grupos o de sociedades con un analfabetismo funcional elevado y en las que la comunicaci?n oral espont?nea es casi la forma exclusiva del intercambio ling??stico indic?.

-MP.

SANTIAGO ONE

Oct 20, 2013
Wow, this is hilarious. I had a long talk with my daughters just last night about ENUNCIATING!! They thought I was picking on them But I was trying to tell them, 'I cannot understand a word you are saying sometimes'- it sounds like the Ethiopian kid from South Park......