Dominican Welfare...The Facts?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me give you an example of dominican welfare.
miesposo'e worker had a moto accident. after work hours and completely sloshed he crashed his moto and cracked his head open. he is now in a vegetable-like state: cannot talk, walk or move much. he is bedridden and taken care by his family. his employer (a large private company) pays them his full salary, they were supposed to stop but miesposo argued his case - apparently it takes government (riesgo laborar i mentioned before) a long time to start paying...
but then, just like my mother, this dude worked hard all his life (he is now in his fifties) and his family now needs every peso. he uses nappies, has to be fed, washed and medicated. he deserves the monies he gets.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Cobraboy quote:

"To be clear, I am a libertarian and a capitalist. I trust free markets vastly more than I will ever trust gubmint bureaucrats, elected representatives, university professors or social scientists. I've noticed that social programs work only up to a point, even those most needed, and then they create resentment and an attitude of entitlement in recipients. I find it unconstitutional that gays are not allowed to marry (they are entitled to the joys of divorce, too), am unreligious and I am very reluctantly pro-choice. Ayn Rand was a sexy goddess, Dr. Charles Krauthammer has a huge brain and Ronald Reagan was correct when he said that gubmint is the problem, not the solution. How that translates into a "hatred" for gubmint or advocacy for anarchy is beyond me..."

So, let's be clear, you trusted the banks and financial institutions that caused the recent recession (close to a depression actually)? And you feel that the government TARP which bailed out the banks was unwise? Do you understand that without that step the banks would have gone out of business? Do you understand that the FDIC would have been unable to pay off the insurance that everyone depends on? Do you understand that you likely would have lost all of your investments.

Do you realize that Ronald Reagan tripled the national debt during his 8 years in office. And Krauthammer is a buffon who said in a recent column that a Mosque near ground zero was a sacrilege. He wants the government to act and prevent it. How far away from ground zero is not close enough?

And I don't wish you any ill but if you get sick enough you will head back to the US and take advantage of Medicare. I'd bet on it.

That wasnt capitalism...it was cronyism. Mafia-centric free market enterprise. Think it over, take a step back and you ll see I m right.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This system, unfortunately, will never work in the DR as most people don't pay any taxes here.
There is more than income taxes.

Honest business people in the DR have a corporation that is renewed every year, pay income taxes and have an RNC number for paying ITBIS. Few are exempt from this requirement. However, the DR has implemented systems to catch tax/RNC cheats with stiff penalties, DR-Style. There will come a time when once caught, a tax cheat will wish he'd gone "legal."

Tax cheating is one reason import duties, first time auto registration (17%), fuel taxes and ITBIS (what gets collected) are so high.

While income tax collections are low, ITBIS is growing because of the institutional focus on systems of enforcement.

Tax compliance in the DR is a bureaucratic pain in the butt, best left for an abogado to set up. Paying is actually easy, one of the reasons "Ban Reservas" exists. Interesting concept, really, like the IRS in the states also being a full service commercial bank.:cheeky:

Before folks here complain about tax cheats, take a peek in your own ethical house. If you are doing almost ANY commercial activity and don't have a corporation, RNC number, legal receipts, don't charge ITBIS and don't pay ITBIS by the 20th of the following month, then YOU are a tax cheat as big, if not bigger, than every "rich" tax cheat you complain about.

I have three Dominican Corporation. Each took approx US$2000 to set up and get an RNC#. Two have been renewed at a cost of approx. US$650 per year, one is going through "conversion" for another $1100. One paid significant ITBIS last year and this year, one more will pay large ITBIS this year (Ban Reservas payments being made on each 20th of the month when necessary), and the third will pay renewal and ITBIS in FY'11.

Taxes shouldn't be something the "other guy" should pay, but not you. If you are committed to living here you have a legal...and moral...obligation to conduct your business in the proper manner as prescribed by law.

I wonder how many here do?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is more than income taxes.

Honest business people in the DR have a corporation that is renewed every year, pay income taxes and have an RNC number for paying ITBIS. Few are exempt from this requirement. However, the DR has implemented systems to catch tax/RNC cheats with stiff penalties, DR-Style. There will come a time when once caught, a tax cheat will wish he'd gone "legal."

Tax cheating is one reason import duties, first time auto registration (17%), fuel taxes and ITBIS (what gets collected) are so high.

While income tax collections are low, ITBIS is growing because of the institutional focus on systems of enforcement.

Tax compliance in the DR is a bureaucratic pain in the butt, best left for an abogado to set up. Paying is actually easy, one of the reasons "Ban Reservas" exists. Interesting concept, really, like the IRS in the states also being a full service commercial bank.:cheeky:

Before folks here complain about tax cheats, take a peek in your own ethical house. If you are doing almost ANY commercial activity and don't have a corporation, RNC number, legal receipts, don't charge ITBIS and don't pay ITBIS by the 20th of the following month, then YOU are a tax cheat as big, if not bigger, than every "rich" tax cheat you complain about.

I have three Dominican Corporation. Each took approx US$2000 to set up and get an RNC#. Two have been renewed at a cost of approx. US$650 per year, one is going through "conversion" for another $1100. One paid significant ITBIS last year and this year, one more will pay large ITBIS this year (Ban Reservas payments being made on each 20th of the month when necessary), and the third will pay renewal and ITBIS in FY'11.

Taxes shouldn't be something the "other guy" should pay, but not you. If you are committed to living here you have a legal...and moral...obligation to conduct your business in the proper manner as prescribed by law.

I wonder how many here do?

Yris pays her 25%, plus of course the medical, SS....etc.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
We don't yet but are working with some body who can give us a clear picture what is involved in setting up a business.

Not sure if we will pursue this further because the primary reason we came to the DR was to have some peace and a more relaxed life after working hard both of us for more then 30 years in our home country.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We don't yet but are working with some body who can give us a clear picture what is involved in setting up a business.
Easy:

1) Incorporate (an SRL would work, around US$1500-2000)
2) Obtain an RNC number
3) Get tax receipts
4) Collect taxes from customers
5) Pay taxes on time, the 20th of each month
6) Have an accountant prepare annual tax forms
7) Pay corporate income taxes or minimum fees
8) Renew your corporation annually

Usually folks take care of the proper legality prior to accepting a customer.

If you do business here, you should be legal and commit to paying your fair share of infrastructure support.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Easy:

1) Incorporate (an SRL would work, around US$1500-2000)
2) Obtain an RNC number
3) Get tax receipts
4) Collect taxes from customers
5) Pay taxes on time, the 20th of each month
6) Have an accountant prepare annual tax forms
7) Pay corporate income taxes or minimum fees
8) Renew your corporation annually

Usually folks take care of the proper legality prior to accepting a customer.

If you do business here, you should be legal and commit to paying your fair share of infrastructure support.

As I said in my previous post, we are already working with somebody who is explaining everything to us.
But thanks for the advice but I rather prefer that you refrain of talking of these matters no more further on this topic as its really going off topic from the original OP's question/remark.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
As I said in my previous post, we are already working with somebody who is explaining everything to us.
But thanks for the advice but I rather prefer that you refrain of talking of these matters no more further on this topic as its really going off topic from the original OP's question/remark.
Gotcha.

"Refrain" ~after~ you ask the question/get an answer...

:cheeky:

So it is said. So it is done.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Gotcha.

"Refrain" ~after~ you ask the question/get an answer...

:cheeky:

So it is said. So it is done.

Yes, HIJACKED - LANDED, now NO MORE...incredible.
Shhhh....shhhh...no more RNC talk, wonder why???

terrible tambo'

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, HIJACKED - LANDED, now NO MORE...incredible.
Shhhh....shhhh...no more RNC talk, 'specially when ya' don't got one.

Terrible tambo'
One would think if one is committed to the true social welfare of all the people in ones newly adopted country, one would jump through whatever hoops necessary to insure their business was legal and paying appropriate taxes to pay for that welfare, wouldn't one?:cheeky:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
correct,
and the Tax system has very well a lot to do with the Original Subject of Wellfare in the Dominican Republic,
because all those Expats running a small Business here illegally without paying the Taxes according to Dominican Laws are receiving "Dominican Wellfare", even that they are IMHO not entitled to such.
they have a Income as a small Business, doesn't matter how little, but due not paying the required Taxes doesn't matter how little the income may be, they life on the Dominican People's Costs, b/c they use our Dominican Tax Payers paid Roads etc etc etc without contributing to the Tax Pot that Maintains those Roads,
they steal illegally and Morally incorrect Wellfare of this Country for their Own Benefit.
IMHO that is absolutely Not Off Topic here.

btw Robert/CB,
great explanation in the longer Post on Page 5,
it is exactly on the Point.
cheers
Mike

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Yeah right, ok

First of all : the breeding...we are FCI breeders and for some very hard to understand, we breed purely out of prestige and hobby which means that we put a lot of time, money in selection, the breeding, feeding the best of the best to the pups and moms and if we calculate that into the very low prices you can ask here for a pure bred pup, we do not earn a single peso on them.
Its more a prestige project then anything else.

Second : training, sure we give training to people and we ask some money for it.
That money and more of our own money is spend on the countless times we drive to or Santiago or to the North Coast or to Santo Domingo to give FREE clinics or seminaries for children or adults who want to learn something more about dogs and how to train them. Sport with dogs is our passion and if some people here want to learn more about it, we are alway's available for advice.

Surely guy's, its very easy for some of you to pick on me or Belgiank with a few quotes on some things we said here and not ask yourselves or me for that matter some more background information.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yeah right, ok

First of all : the breeding...we are FCI breeders and for some very hard to understand, we breed purely out of prestige and hobby which means that we put a lot of time, money in selection, the breeding, feeding the best of the best to the pups and moms and if we calculate that into the very low prices you can ask here for a pure bred pup, we do not earn a single peso on them.
Its more a prestige project then anything else.

Second : training, sure we give training to people and we ask some money for it.
That money and more of our own money is spend on the countless times we drive to or Santiago or to the North Coast or to Santo Domingo to give FREE clinics or seminaries for children or adults who want to learn something more about dogs and how to train them. Sport with dogs is our passion and if some people here want to learn more about it, we are always available for advice.

Surely guy's, its very easy for some of you to pick on me or Belgiank with a few quotes on some things we said here and not ask yourselves or me for that matter some more background information.

You are taking things too personal. I see the conversation directed to all expats not you personally.

I'm retired but I still like barking now and then. ;)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Acira and Cobraboy let this be a warning to both of you.

I strongly suggest you both add each other to your ignore lists, right now!

The mods will suspend your accounts if you respond to each other again in a thread and if they see ANY sort of personal attack, dig, jibe, whatever you want to call it.

Don't say you haven't been warned and DO NOT respond to this post.

By order of Chief Cat Herder!

Carry on...

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Acira or BelgiaK,
like Anna wrote above,
I did not mean by any of my explanation you guys or any other expat in specific,
it was a explanation of My own personal observations on expats behaviors like I observe it down here since more than 15 Years.
and Yes,
I started myself back in the Day without paying any Taxes, too,
but Times been very different a decade and a half ago,
the Winds of Change I guess.
in a specifically Run business like Your described above your own, the breeding of Top Breed Dog Puppies, I understand completely your point of Time and efforts you described to make it possible in the first place to breed such Dog Brands down here on a Tropical island where even basics for that Job, like for example the daily needed Puppy Food, are not always or very often simply Not available around the Corner.
but such extra effords have nothing to do with the way a business of any kind or size has to be run by the Laws of this Country, like in any other Country.
expenses can be count against incomes, named Gastables etc etc, there is no problem to run a starting business on a near zero positive income or even in Red Numbers, but it has to be declared to the Rentas Internas every month with incomes and expenses listed.
running Free Clinics and holding of Classes to educate People about Dogs or bring children closer to the right handling of Dogs and behaviors/ways to act with Dogs, thats a great thing and will hopefully help a lot of people in their understanding of behaviors with/against/for Dogs, because in general I ppersonally do not like much the way many people on the Island do handle the animals.
but such is simply named Charity, and unless you are a registered Charity Organization you do such out of your own Pocket, thats what Charity/helping People is all about, it is an efford without a financial Benefit for the Donor, the opposite, a Donor always spends Money or Time or Work etc on Doanting to the Public or a specific Group of People in Need.

I just want to have clear that my previous post been written as a basic Opinion of Mine,
I did not mean You or any other specific Bordmember.
cheers
Mike

Reactions: AlterEgo