ask that stylist what she makes --- you'll be astounded at their earnings

$250 ain't much........fast payback period

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
gorgon,
ask that stylist what she makes --- you'll be astounded at their earnings

$250 ain't much........fast payback period

i don?t even have to ask her. the mere fact she could have afforded business space in midtown Manhattan gave me my answer....

May 29, 2006
$700 on Amazon for these. They're not made from cheap metal. Like a chef knife but more complicated.

31Ze4krKyeL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/SENSEI-Handle-Cutting-Shears-Scissors/dp/B00IPQWS38/ref=sr_1_16?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1446232646&sr=1-16&keywords=salon+scissors&refinements=p_36%3A1253954011

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
$700 on Amazon for these. They're not made from cheap metal.

Wow! We've brought knives to Santo Domingo as gifts for cousins that love to cook. They always said it is difficult to find top quality knives down here. I imagine scissors are the same thing.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gorgon, that $100 haircut you were paying for -
might be $300.....$220 is considered a bargain.

We got a cut (we means she) in SD recently from a Spanish(Spain) girl ... best cut ever but she's gone back now.

In SD, cut, color - the works- just over 4,000 pesos.... and a bistro by a pool for me.... omelette, coffee...perfecto

and a million dollar view.................wink, wink

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Gorgon, that $100 haircut you were paying for -
might be $300.....$220 is considered a bargain.

We got a cut (we means she) in SD recently from a Spanish(Spain) girl ... best cut ever but she's gone back now.

In SD, cut, color - the works- just over 4,000 pesos.... and a bistro by a pool for me.... omelette, coffee...perfecto

and a million dollar view.................wink, wink

Indeed $100 is a bargain for many hairstyles, at least for our kinky hair. If I have 2 persons spending 6 hours braiding my hair, one cannot expect to pay 100 dollars (at least in the US).

I have spend 200-300 dollars, on hairstyles, that would appear simple to you Gorgon :laugh:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have to show this thread to Mr. AE, just so he knows how many millions he's saved over the past 40 years. Okay, so I had some training in coloring and cutting, but still. I even cut his hair.

Now I just have to think of something I want that will properly compensate me for all the money I've saved him.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
I spend $12 every six weeks and curse the hair growth that perpetuates this exorbitant cycle while also robbing me of a precious ten minutes!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I personally think the percentage cited in the article is grossly exaggerated. All Dominican expenditure on female hair care is not paid exclusively by the women themselves. Plenty of men are the one's paying for that in addition of other female necessities and nonsense they swear are vital necessities for the continuation of life on earth (or at least the parts of earth roamed by Dominican women.)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I met my GF for the first time last August. The second day she asks for 500 pesos to go get her hair done, and I know enough to simply give it to her without batting an eye. She shows up a couple hours later dressed to the nines, happy as can be, and very grateful.
This is a perfect example of what I said in my previous post.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow big deal ,,,500pesos,,,,u probably got 6000$back in services... ,,,in the states your wife might be spending 100$ at the salon ,,,and you still not getting any...and if she need another purse for 125$ she buy it....
domincanas invest 12% and probably get a return on investment that would make any property owner real happy...

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Dominicanas who work as hairdressers in the US have lines of black ladies around the block. You can go into a Dominican salon with hair as short as Emma Watson/Alfre Woodward, and come out Rapunzel. They work it like no tomorrow---the dryer is fired up on turbo and practically shoots flames at your head. I had to have a Dominican friend come with me to explain that I didn't want the turbo torch attached to the dryer. (I have a very tender head.)

I was trying to figure out why there was no outlet in the bathroom of my new apartment. Because I'm thinking (like an American) surely one needs a place to plug in the hair dryer. But then I remembered that no self-respecting Dominicana ever, EVAH does her own hair!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominicanas who work as hairdressers in the US have lines of black ladies around the block. You can go into a Dominican salon with hair as short as Emma Watson/Alfre Woodward, and come out Rapunzel. They work it like no tomorrow---the dryer is fired up on turbo and practically shoots flames at your head. I had to have a Dominican friend come with me to explain that I didn't want the turbo torch attached to the dryer. (I have a very tender head.)

I was trying to figure out why there was no outlet in the bathroom of my new apartment. Because I'm thinking (like an American) surely one needs a place to plug in the hair dryer. But then I remembered that no self-respecting Dominicana ever, EVAH does her own hair!

You're absolutely right. Mr AE & I used to be distributors for an Italian salon hair product line that is very popular with Dominicans [in both the DR and the US], and the majority of our customers were Dominican salon owners. Dominicans are very fussy about the products they use on their hair. The black women lined up to get their hair done by them.

I went to one of the Dominican salons for color several times, but couldn't stand the heat of the blower she used, I swear there was smoke coming off my head. Started doing it myself back then, and still doing it myself [and still using the same salon-only color]. When something works, you stick with it. I saw you use Goldwell, good product too.

I've never gone to a hair salon in DR, if I did I'd look for one who uses the products we used to sell [sold the business years back]. Not cheap, but good.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015
wow big deal ,,,500pesos,,,,u probably got 6000$back in services... ,,,in the states your wife might be spending 100$ at the salon ,,,and you still not getting any...and if she need another purse for 125$ she buy it....
domincanas invest 12% and probably get a return on investment that would make any property owner real happy...

ahhhhh so glad to see that chivalry is not dead…. you romantic fool you...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

i will take you to the saloon....not the salon....:speechles:speechles:speechles:speechles

May 29, 2006
Dominicanas who work as hairdressers in the US have lines of black ladies around the block. You can go into a Dominican salon with hair as short as Emma Watson/Alfre Woodward, and come out Rapunzel.

It's not just weaves. It's that Baba De Caracol stuff.. works miracles as a hair treatment. With a name like "snail snot" it's got to be good.