dominicanas spend 12% of their income in salons

May 29, 2006
No, it's really made from snail snot(though lots of other crap in too.) They put them on some kind of mild electric grid to make them put out the slime without actually killing them. There are similar products in Mexico.

81EI5q41JOL._SX466_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/HALKA-BABA-CARACOL-Intensive-Treatment/dp/B000U0DWIM

12 of 12 people found the following review helpful
::FOUR STARS::: Works on Afro-Caribbean hair!
By MissLou2425 on May 13, 2011
Verified Purchase

I have used this product only twice since buying it. BOTH times I have used it after my hair has been relaxed for some months (so thats, kinky roots, straight ends= disaster!) But this time...with this product, conditioning my hair and then COMBING it afterwards was a breeze! I like the smell a lot! Made it very smooth and manageable and that not easy for me! (I have waist length relaxed hair). Sooo I recommend this product to all the brown girls with unruly hair...give it a try. (I left mine in for 45 mins though, with a plastic cap on) I do believe that going under the dryer with the product in would make it evern BETTER!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
It's not just weaves. It's that Baba De Caracol stuff.. works miracles as a hair treatment. With a name like "snail snot" it's got to be good.

absolutely useless for "good hair", thou. bought it once, had to give it away. i could not brush my hair and it became coarse and dry.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
absolutely useless for "good hair", thou. bought it once, had to give it away. i could not brush my hair and it became coarse and dry.

Interesting that you say that. When we sold salon products, the Dominican and AA customers used to rave about a garlic mask from AlterEgoItaly. Easily our best selling product, and hard to keep in stock, when we were between shipments they almost rioted. Smelled wonderful [not like garlic at all]. I had trial/sample packets that we used to give away, so I tried it myself. Awful! Did absolutely nothing for my hair, and it was expensive!!

Best for me has been Wen. At almost $200 a gallon, it's pricy. Don't think I've ever seen it in DR though.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
my hairdresser friend in NYC, she of the 250 dollar scissors, used to use to really expensive shampoos. at least, relatively speaking. the girls here knew about every last one of them, and were always asking me to bring back stuff like Nexus Humectress, and other such good stuff. no cheap shampoo for these lassies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Interesting that you say that.

different strokes for different heads, i guess. i could never get into this whole salon thing. cannot understand why washing and drying hair would take 3 hours: you wait to have the hair washed, then you wait for drying, then they separate hair as thin as possibly and take ages with a blow dry. i have no need for that. not only i always get burned by the hair dryer but i also wear my hair up so seconds after this long process i just gather hair in a pony tail.

dominican hair products - and i have tried a few - also do not work for my hair: straight, thick and shiny. it's meant for more coarse, curly, "bad" hair, as they call it here.

May 29, 2006
Interesting that you say that. When we sold salon products, the Dominican and AA customers used to rave about a garlic mask from AlterEgoItaly. Easily our best selling product, and hard to keep in stock, when we were between shipments they almost rioted. Smelled wonderful [not like garlic at all]. I had trial/sample packets that we used to give away, so I tried it myself. Awful! Did absolutely nothing for my hair, and it was expensive!!

Best for me has been Wen. At almost $200 a gallon, it's pricy. Don't think I've ever seen it in DR though.

That Wen guy must be worth 10s of millions by now..

May 29, 2006
As I thought, one of the ingredients in Wen is bentonite, the same clay as cat litter. I bet the bottles cost more than the ingredients....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
different strokes for different heads, i guess. i could never get into this whole salon thing. cannot understand why washing and drying hair would take 3 hours: you wait to have the hair washed, then you wait for drying, then they separate hair as thin as possibly and take ages with a blow dry. i have no need for that. not only i always get burned by the hair dryer but i also wear my hair up so seconds after this long process i just gather hair in a pony tail.

dominican hair products - and i have tried a few - also do not work for my hair: straight, thick and shiny. it's meant for more coarse, curly, "bad" hair, as they call it here.

We might be related :) I have longish hair too, and I can't stand it on my neck down there, always up in a ponytail, bun or jaw clip.

For the life of me, I don't understand how Dominican women wear their hair long in that heat. None of my sister-in-laws or nieces ever has theirs tied up - never.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are used to it. just like those god damn tight jeans. i prefer to be cool and comfy.