DominicanCooking.com in Best Latin Food Blogs 2013

May 29, 2006
sorry to hear that you are not physically able to try a scotch bonnet.

I was quite surprised when I got what I thought were Scotch Bonnet peppers in the DR and found them to be quite mild and flavorful. It's the thin ones that look like pencils that are super hot.

74083_1666780666879_1008340_n.jpg

Aug 6, 2006
There are Dominican peppers that look very much like Scotch bonnets that are rather mild and tasty.

If you roast a jalape?o and peel off the skin, you have chile chipotle, and a different flavor.

The very hottest peppers in Mexico are called chile piqu?n, and they will blister your mouth and perhaps further south as well. A chile chipotle will blind you for at least a day, should it happen to squirt in your eye. And there are chiles even hotter than that.

If you cook a chile in vinegar for a short time, or let it swim about in vinegar for a day or two, it will get milder. What you do if you get enchilado is eat bread and butter and wash it down with milk. Water is not much help.

Aug 6, 2006
I like white rice and butter with a bit of salt. I like sushi rice (sticky rice) with shrimp, even more with a touch of wasabe. I just cannot abide arroz con gandules every blessed day. I do not relish burned rice, as some Dominicanos do. I am not fond of rice with tomatoes. I particularly loathe the taste of burnt tomato paste.

There are lots of Dominican dishes I like.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was stuck out near the end of the runway in Adak Alaska in a couple of trailers with a bunch of US Navy Pilipino sailors
(weathered in). These guys had no booze and we had plenty. They had seafood and we had none. They cooked up a big patch of rice with King crab...etc. and they fed us, and we filled them full of booze. I'd say we got the better of the deal. Best rice dish I've ever had.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Dominican food sucks! Eat Yuca and die.

i like yuca. but habichuela con dulce should be outlawed and punished with flogging for the first offence and death by quartering for recidivism.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Goya do a quite acceptable pepper, it's coarse ground. You can find pepper mills in Las Terrenas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks for your congratulations, comments and discussion. The Dominican Cooking blog has grown beyond standard and traditional recipes to new variations on old favourites, non-Dominican dishes that can be made with traditional Dominican ingredients/ingredients that can now be found in the Dominican Republic, always with an emphasis on natural, healthy ingredients - as dv8 says - no artificial sopita or saz?n, moderate use of oil and salt.

While it is true that many Dominicans will run a mile when served anything slightly picante, there are some spicy Dominican dishes including mamb? (also popular in Haiti), rabo encendido, chivo picante and locrio pica pica.
Rabo encendido (Spicy oxtail stew)
Chivo guisado picante recipe (Spicy goat meat stew) – Dominican Cooking
Mamb? (Spicy and savory peanut butter) recipe – Dominican Cooking
Recipe: Locrio de Pica-Pica (Rice and spicy sardines)

Pasteles en hoja are also traditionally served with hot sauce.
Pasteles en hoja (Ground-roots pockets)
Recipe: Agrio de naranja (Spicy bitter orange vinegar and sauce) – Dominican Cooking

As with any recipe they can all be adapted to individual preferences - In my case I make my habichuelas guisadas with cumin, which is not a traditional Dominican ingredient.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
one comment that has been directed at Dominican cuisine is that it lacks flavor, and that the DR is the land that spice forgot. however, there is another thing to factor into the equation, which has dawned upon me over the years. Dominican spices have very little flavor. i have no idea why this is so. if you compare allspice berries from the DR with those from other caribbean islands, you will see the obvious difference. skellions, also known as puero fino here, have very little pungency, unlike the ones from the other islands. the black pepper is bland, and the capsicums like habaneros have heat, but not the nutty flavor that scotch bonnet is known for. the ginger has no explosiveness, like Jamaican ginger, which Schweppes uses to make their ginger ale. i have no idea whether it is caused by the soil, or the particular species. i would love to find out why this is so. even the coffee beans in Jamaica have a superior flavor.

now don't all attack me at once....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
one comment that has been directed at Dominican cuisine is that it lacks flavor, and that the DR is the land that spice forgot. however, there is another thing to factor into the equation, which has dawned upon me over the years. Dominican spices have very little flavor. i have no idea why this is so. if you compare allspice berries from the DR with those from other caribbean islands, you will see the obvious difference. skellions, also known as puero fino here, have very little pungency, unlike the ones from the other islands. the black pepper is bland, and the capsicums like habaneros have heat, but not the nutty flavor that scotch bonnet is known for. the ginger has no explosiveness, like Jamaican ginger, which Schweppes uses to make their ginger ale. i have no idea whether it is caused by the soil, or the particular species. i would love to find out why this is so. even the coffee beans in Jamaica have a superior flavor.

now don't all attack me at once....

It has everything to do with soil, however having said, Dominican tomatoes, or at least where we get them from are delicious and very full of flavour , same with the onions. I have ginger and cinnamon tea every night and it's good, but I've never had it from other islands so I can't do a comparison. Dominican cacao is also very good.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
It has everything to do with soil, however having said, Dominican tomatoes, or at least where we get them from are delicious and very full of flavour , same with the onions. I have ginger and cinnamon tea every night and it's good, but I've never had it from other islands so I can't do a comparison. Dominican cacao is also very good.

It can't be the soil, because Haitians do spice up their food, and it's far from being "bland", believe me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've been planning to buy some coffee on amazon for a while now. yeah, yeah, shipping wood to the forest, i know. but i would like to try some other coffees too. in the UK i used to buy mainly african produce... when we went to colombia we bought few kilos of their coffee and it was superb.

i will agree that some things in DR really have no taste. i have not encountered yet an onion that would squeeze tears from my eyes. tomatoes have zero taste. spring onions taste like paper. pineapple and watermelon are both good, thou. maybe it's a question of the climate: tropical fruits and veggies grow here naturally, european produce - not so much.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

you say it is soil, and you might have a point, because you say the tomatoes you get in your area are delicious. the stuff i get in POP taste like straw. i was even thinking about trying to grow some other variety here. another problem with fruits here is that they pick them really young, and force ripen them with this stuff called carbine. they look all nice and shiny, like American apples, but have a chalky taste. since you like ginger tea, next time you know of someone coming from the USA, ask them to bring you some Jamaican ginger, and you will see the difference. the mangoes here, however, are spectacular.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i've been planning to buy some coffee on amazon for a while now. yeah, yeah, shipping wood to the forest, i know. but i would like to try some other coffees too. in the UK i used to buy mainly african produce... when we went to colombia we bought few kilos of their coffee and it was superb.

i will agree that some things in DR really have no taste. i have not encountered yet an onion that would squeeze tears from my eyes. tomatoes have zero taste. spring onions taste like paper. pineapple and watermelon are both good, thou. maybe it's a question of the climate: tropical fruits and veggies grow here naturally, european produce - not so much.

do yourself a favor. go on Amazon and look for a coffee called Jablum. it is as expensive as heck; ridiculous, to be exact. do it as a one shot experience. you can thank me later.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Gorgon, it might be a question of freshness. Buying food here can be hit and miss. If you can buy direct from producers or find a supermarket/market where there is good turnover - of dried as well as fresh products - it could make all the difference. Failing that, buy the imported spices!

I sometimes get puerro fino (chives or spring onions), hot peppers and several other vegetables from an organic supplier - the Puntacana Ecological Foundation. There are organic suppliers in the capital, not sure about the north coast though.

Ginger from Las Galeras (Saman?) is organically grown and seemed explosive enough for me :) unlike the ginger in the shops that often looks old and tastes stale.
Saman?

Clara takes this a whole step further and grows some of these things herself on her terrace.
Urban gardening – What you need to start – Aunt Clara’s Kitchen
The urban gardener