• Thread starter "The Tourist Watcher"
  • Start date

Dominicans #1 AGAIN

M

Maria

doug and tw. you both looks like kids saying : my father is better than yours...- no mine is better. no mine ..etc.
that type of comments are really stupid.. R D already prooved that they have best baseball players annd not starting from alex, pedro o samy.. rd had los hermanos alou, juan marichal..and a lot more.. and RD have wonderful baseball players for the one who likes baseball...personnaly even i am canadian,, even i am a woman..i prefer baseball.. otherwise i don't like hockey but i know wayne gretsky...and saying TW you don't know him can means that you are not open to other sport if there is no dominican.... you mentioned ben johnson.. he is jamaican.. they bought his service for canada at olympics..means nothing// there is sport also where both country can excell except ski or hockey or baseball..(everey one is a loud to his culture..canada prefer hockey) both country can play golf, basket, or swim.. also driving formula 1.....TW and Doug, ever heard about Jacques villeneuve or his father Gilles..? about bycicle ? genevieve jeanson ? about 100mtrs Bruni Surin ? Sylvie Frechette at (i don't know how to say in english) ? nage synchronisee? swiming.... anyways.. there is a lot of athlets all over in a world and i don't think you should compare RD and CAnada ..one at the sun one in the ice..so they play how they can... i hope you understood my point and won't take it bad...

J

Joachim

Re: Where the risk is

Investment money goes where it is well liked. If what you say is true, then the entire world investment community would flock with their money to invest in the DR.

R

rabble rouser

maria, in english it almost the same as french-synchronized swimming.

as for ben johnson, well he has lived in Canada with his mother and siblings for most of his life although he was born in Jamaica -up until a few years ago was a neighbour of mine. his services were bought just as much as any other high calibre olympic athlete- Canadian-born or not. no offense, please? amazing how convoluted these threads can become!

S

Stephen Hadley

Re: Where the risk is

Perhaps I was unclear. In the previous example I was refering to a US Dollar CD in a dominican bank as compared to a RD peso CD also in a dominican bank.

If the currency risk was the same, the rates would be equivalent (assuming other factors are the same, specifically demand for specific one currency over the other)

While you and others have done well with your money in pesos, it really is additional risk over USD.

when investor worries about the peso devalueing come down, the peso interest rates will approach that of the USD rate.

I was not suggesting instablity or risk of defauly in any of the major international banks in the country, just that the amount of buying power you end up with may be less than expected if the peso devalues significantly.

D

Duarte

Re: LEAVE SCARAMOOCH ALONE.MY FRIEND

Are you defending this sac of sh..? After the stuff he says about the DR?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Doug can you do anything right?

Doug can you even read? I thought I said, baseball cannot be played professionally by little 16 year olds and equally well by girls. There are girls who can ski professionally better than some of the men. Even in Tennis, Martina Navratilova was better than many men in her sport.Any body who spends enough time on a ski can be a professional skier. Ken Johnson, for example won a gold medal for the USA and he had never ski professionally before the olympics.

But baseball is a super athlete sport.Women cannot play this sport even among themselves, except its softer version,Softball.Baseball players are multi-sport athletes who could be professionals in Basketball, American Football and even boxing, the only sports for super athletes. The rest of the other sports are for less talented people. You will never see a skier, a tennis player or a hockey player who could play any of the supersports professionally. However, the crossover between the super sports is very common.

Now, I am sorry you cannot ski. Almost everybody does it well in the United States. I am not bragging about myself, just that I can ski like millions of Americans can. Its unfortunate you could never do a sport that is so easy and as common as playing cards.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re:When was last major peso devaluation? *DC*

S

Stephen Hadley

Re:When was last major peso devaluation?

you can get historical conversions and other currency related stuff at the site below.

http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory

These things happen suddenly and in spurts, not in smooth lines. You have not had a major devaluation in a while... 5 years ago. In the mean time products have inflated drastically. Eventually things have to even out.

L

Larry

If baseball players are such super athletes why are there so many overweight, out of shape players. A hockey player would never last his shift if he was as fat as some of those baseball players. Once again you show how little you know. Soccer players, basketball players, bicyclists, hockey players, man per man almost every sport has better conditioned players than baseball.

D

Doug

TW I guess you don't know but up until 4 yrs ago professionals were not allowed to compete in the oylmpics ie; ken Johnson. Now about Navrativlova, she would not even come close to agassi or Samprass, come on this is common knowledge.And what makes you think I can't ski? And your comment on anyone who spends enough time on skis, could ski professionally, what are you saying? are you for real or what. Your telling me if I go out and ski for a coupla yrs I could be as good as Todd Brooker? Come on TW you are an intelligent person, don't make statements that make you look so stupid, it's not good for your image here on the board! To say something like that is foolish. Does that mean if I go out and play baseball for a coupla yrs the Yankees would want me, maybe give me a 2.6 mil signing bonus? Skiers and all professional sport athletes put countless yrs and hrs into thier profession (as I'm sure you are well aware of)even skiers. Even a sport like bike riding, if you don't put endless yrs with total commitment, you will not even come close to world class athletes in that particular sport! Don't you agree?

L

Larry

Re: Larry why are you adressing this to me?

Sorry - I was just following the thread and responding to TW's post. Should have changed the Subject line.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re:DR Peso history since 1987 (under US$5) *PIC*

See http://www.bocachicabeach.net/money.html or click on the link below for some longer term history (data from Central Bank of the Dominican Republic).

Nobody can predict with certainty what the peso will do. Part of the reason they pay such good rates on the peso is the threat of another run (so tells me a financier that is currently doing consulting for the Central Bank of the Dominican Republic).

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

I agree with biking to an extend and baseball, not with skiing. Again, let me say this, any sport that women can do even close to as goos as men, is not a difficult sport. If you start early and spend years training you could be a professional. The odds of being a professional in baseball are so slim that it is disheartening to so many who try so hard for so many years.

Likewise in basketball. We are talking here about real men sports, where you have to be a top world athlete capable of being good in any sport you try. Skiers and tennis players are just that. You cannot compare Ken Johnson or Kidd, Pete Sampras, Tiger Woods,Lance Armstrong or Greg Louganis to real super men athletes like Shaquille Oneal, Michael Jordan, Mike Tyson,Sammy Sosa,Mark Mcgwire,or OJ Simpson. Remember, these guys are capable of running at world class speeds, lifting 300lbs of weight easily, hitting and throwing with tremedous power and the stamina of bulls.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Anybody can ski, few do it well

Skiers are like golfers. Everybody and their brother can participate, but even those that have been practicing for 20 years rarely do it well. Even those that aspire to practice day in and day out rarely achieve the level of the top tier.

Sking well involves more than just athletic ability and desire to excel. It requires natural balance, endurance, and guts.

Until you've dropped off the face of a 30 foot cornice onto a 65 degree slope into 5 feet of powder with random 10 ton boulders to navigate through a gully barely 10 foot wide, where falling is out of the question and likely will mean you'll die, you haven't experienced difficult skiing (a specific run at Jackson Hole).

Until you've been dropped off the back side of a helicopter into the outback of the Wasatch powder to ski 25000 vertical feet in a day, you don't know the endurance required.

Until you've skied the Cirque at Snowbird, dropping a 10 foot cornice onto a 60 degree wall of ice, so steep you can touch the ground by putting your arm out horizontal, and where a fall means a 2000 foot slide-for-life, you don't know the guts involved in being secure enough to know you can carve well enough to hold your edges and control your speed.

Whipping through the moguls on what a NY resort labels a double-black diamond classifies one as pretty good in my book, about like I play baseball. Nowhere near the top tier.

L

LarryB

Are DR pesos accepted anywhere else in the world?

Us dollars are accepted worldwide. Aside from the DR, where else is the peso any use as money?

D

Doug

Re: Are DR pesos accepted anywhere else in the wor

Any reputable bank in any countrie will exchange your pesos, but I don't think any place of business will accept the peso outside of the D.R. .....maybe Haiti ....I don't know, maybe someone else could comment. TW should know.

D

Doug

Re: Anybody can ski, few do it well

You are so correct Jim, there are so many basket ball players, tennis players, golfers, any sport there is only a select few make it to the bigs

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Are DR pesos accepted anywhere else in the wor

My experience has been that most US banks (in the midwest) will not accept ANY foreign currency except Canadian and some won't even accept Canadian. Only special branches of some banks.

Dominican pesos can be sold for US Dollars (at a poor exchange rate) at the cash exchanges in Newark, JFK, San Juan, and Miami airports.

US businesses will generally ONLY accept US Dollars. In Japan, businessess will generally ONLY accept Yen. In the Dominican Republic outside the tourist areas, US Dollars are generally NOT accepted. Try paying your bill at Plaza Lama with US Dollars or your grocery bill at Supermercado Nacional.

The exception is when it is up to an individual and they might lose the sale if they don't accept the US dollars (or Canadian dollars or any other foreign currency). They know they can personally go and sell the foreign money for Dominican pesos so it is an inconvenience some vendors will accept in order to make the sale.

There is no "better" or "worse" currency. Is an investment that pays higher interest at higher risk "better" than one that pays less interest but has less risk? One may speculate that the high interest rate paid on peso accounts MORE than makes up for the additional risk, and therefore it is a better investment. This is pure speculation on risk, therefore, it is speculation as to whether or not one or the other is a "better" investment.