Dominicans and the Crack culture.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
yo you always have to comment on something don't you its not ignorant if your speaking the truth

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This particular book is old, and not very well-written. It is basically the same tired drug seller-crooked cops story that seems to be the only tale told involving ghetto residents and their "struggle" to survive.

If you want to read a book on inner-city life that does'nt revolve around drugs, read Heaven is a Playground by Rick Telander. Or go rent the movie documentary "Soul in the Hole". Yes, the stories being told revolve around basketball but you can get alot more out of it because the stories are true and not as cliche-ridden as you may think.

And this whole "I sell drugs as a last resort, or to pay bills, feed my family..." Do people still buy this worn-out excuse?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Berzin said:
And this whole "I sell drugs as a last resort, or to pay bills, feed my family..." Do people still buy this worn-out excuse?

Only the idiots. Evidently the crack dealer has become the new Jean Valjean from Les Miserables. But instead of stealing a loaf of bread to feed the family he sells crack and contributes to the ruin of millions. Somehow, one is more sympathetic than the other.

Scandall

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
samanasuenos said:
I can not bring myself to write in defense of crack dealers or any type of drug dealers.

That said, it is easy for people who have not lived in the hood to jump to conclusions.

Of course, if YOU (middle class white man or woman) moved to the hood, knowing what you know and having the role models and privledge and parental support that you have experienced, of course YOU would chose another method to earn money.

You would also bring with you a notion of delayed gratification, commitment, and sacrifice, as well as memories of them having worked for you and others that you know.

The lure of dealing drugs does not exist in a vaccum. For poor young males, many African American -- or Dominican, drug dealing is attractive in the ABSENCE of good role models. Very few neighbors, if anyone, are showing them how to escape the shackles of poverty.

If THE ONLY RICH GUY YOU KNEW was a sports icon and the other was a drug dealer, the only one, are you SO sure that you would not turn to dealing? (Mayeb after your dream of sports turned sour...)

Don't you think they KNOW the probability of death before age 25, what is it now 1 in 3 for a young black/hispanic dealer?

I read the obits for tens of young black/hispanic men that I went to schol with. Some of them were in my algebra class in middle school, a few ran track and played ball, some went to college for a short time, before risking their lives for easy drug money.

It is very easy to judge these folks when we live outside of their world and can not even fathom what it is like. It is easier to judge them when we did not know them as small boys, neighbors, brothers, boyfriends or sons.

May I suggest that we save our loathing for the next level up - the Dons who sell to the dealers ,and to their big daddies. Those guys must be suit guys. Maybe they're posting on this board and condeming the little street warriors.

Selling drugs on that level is the inexcusable job. Back off of the young street corner dealers and focus your energy on alternative ways to get them out of poverty.

Done with my vent, bring on the raw eggs and rotten tomatoes! -suenos
I grew up in a nice area of the bronx in new york city. You would probably call it the hood now. Drugs are the norm there. I work in the bronx as a new york city police officer for the past 19 years. Where I work is the hood. I am sick and tired of hearing the bull$hit excuses that "You wouldn't understand whitey". In the good old USA black males drop out of school at an alarming rate. Why? Not to support their families like others do in other countries. They drop out so they can make quick easy sneaker money. Living the thug life is looked at with admiration. This crap has got to stop. Men need to take responsibility for their children. Mothers need to take care of their children. It's said that in the ghetto a woman doesn't learn to be a mother until she is a grandmother. This also has to stop. Please stop making excuses for these drug dealers. Too many good people have died because of them. Sorry for the rant

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
how can you say its a cliche if you lived through it and you know the hard facts. read the book "always running" by Luis J Rodriguez it'll give you more of an insight on things and by the way its a tru story so theres no BS about it

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
La La Land

Nice post. I also had some friends doing drugs groing up, and I saw what it did to them, and your right, they all end up either in jail or dead.

La La Land

Dec 19, 2005
I said Dumb not stupid..

La La Land said:
I really wish they would all die from their own substances that they choose to sell. Let them live in the hell they create....

YO MAN... JoshuaR... I sure do wish they would die from their own dangerous substances they choose to sell. I do not regret wishing death on people who deserve to die for killing people by selling them drugs... I just wished kids were stronger in their minds to SAY NO to idiots who offer them drugs in the first place. My 17 yr old son who lives in Orlando FL told me 70% of the kids in his high school use some form of drugs mostly COKE.....The kids he grew up with are some of the biggest Coke heads destined to be crack heads when their wealthy parents are no longer supporting them and they have to turn to CRACK because they can not get powder for their noses....It is a vicious circle in the world. Joshua do yourself a favor and see drug dealers as bad people and stop making excuses for them...It only makes you appear stupid when I am sure you are not, you are simply a product of your environment like the street thugs who deal dope to kids right? :) PAM

bertgilbert

Feb 1, 2005
spaces.msn.com
Excuses

The lure of dealing drugs does not exist in a vaccum. For poor young males, many African American -- or Dominican, drug dealing is attractive in the ABSENCE of good role models. Very few neighbors, if anyone, are showing them how to escape the shackles of poverty.

If THE ONLY RICH GUY YOU KNEW was a sports icon and the other was a drug dealer, the only one, are you SO sure that you would not turn to dealing? (Mayeb after your dream of sports turned sour...)

Excuses, excuses, no one ever want to take responsibilities for their own actions, how sad when it is always someone else fault.

La La Land

Dec 19, 2005
samanasuenos said:
I can not bring myself to write in defense of crack dealers or any type of drug dealers.

That said, it is easy for people who have not lived in the hood to jump to conclusions.

Of course, if YOU (middle class white man or woman) moved to the hood, knowing what you know and having the role models and privledge and parental support that you have experienced, of course YOU would chose another method to earn money.

You would also bring with you a notion of delayed gratification, commitment, and sacrifice, as well as memories of them having worked for you and others that you know.

Don't you think they KNOW the probability of death before age 25, what is it now 1 in 3 for a young black/hispanic dealer?

I read the obits for tens of young black/hispanic men that I went to schol with. Some of them were in my algebra class in middle school, a few ran track and played ball, some went to college for a short time, before risking their lives for easy drug money.

It is very easy to judge these folks when we live outside of their world and can not even fathom what it is like. It is easier to judge them when we did not know them as small boys, neighbors, brothers, boyfriends or sons.

May I suggest that we save our loathing for the next level up - the Dons who sell to the dealers ,and to their big daddies. Those guys must be suit guys. Maybe they're posting on this board and condeming the little street warriors.

Selling drugs on that level is the inexcusable job. Back off of the young street corner dealers and focus your energy on alternative ways to get them out of poverty.

Done with my vent, bring on the raw eggs and rotten tomatoes! -suenos

If you notice even the high level rollers end up dead or in prison...Sports people usually come from the HOOD and that is why so many end up in jail, kicked off teams etc because they are on the outside good sports players..but on the inside they are street people who just got lucky to get picked for the NFL etc..They sometimes (often) remain good and do well in their new found richness but some end up acting the way they did before fame..Do not think that "Whitey has it any easier..My son is in a predominately white High school in upper middle class area of WInter Park Florida and I assure you the white kids do drugs MORE than the other races....BUT it is usually the bused in minority kids who SELL it to them.. These kids get bused to schools where they have the same opportunities as the white kids from middle class families but they choose to remain acting like HOOD Rats...I do blame alot of the sad kids these days on the RAP music culture since they just promote "Babies Daddies" attitudes in the lower class kids who are so WRAPPED up in RAP music..(I actually like some of it myself but I am old enough to not take it seriously since I am not trying to make an identity for myself)...
I think everyone on here gets my DEEP FELT hatred for drug dealers and people who sympathize with the thugs in the streets...Read the post from the BRONX cop..He knows from where I am speaking first hand. I worked in a Juvenile Detention Facility in Orlando Fl area for a few months just to experience what goes on in one..AND WoW you have no idea how many upper class kids are in those places for drugs and being thugs so it is not because people live in the ghetto that they have to act GHETTO...It is a simple choice and LACK of character in them...
May anyone with a drug dependent relative or friend have the strength to help them see they are wasting themselves..It took me 8 years of struggle but my Dominican man has finally WOKEN UP and is on the path to making his life great. That is why he came to America in the first place! He told me a few weeks ago that it is not too late for him to make his fortune in the USA and then go to live in the DR like a normal person...He had that dream in 1979 when he showed up in NY City..That dream was shattered by some pretty CHICA who gave him coke because he was a CAMPO type guy naive to the big city...The city swallowed him like it does many others...But it is never too late to change. I should be through ranting and raving for one day...but you never know! :) PAM

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
You People Are Idiots

You people argue about drugs without knowing ANYTHING about the business, the social imperatives or anything else about drugs. You don't do drugs because they contradict your moral ideals so you fool yourself into believing that people care about your moral relativism and your ignorant, outdated bull****t. You have no real insight into the drug trade but you are quick to regurgitate the same ol' "Drugs are horrible and they kill people." Yeah, so what? You gonna stop a Drug King Pin from making millions? I don't think so.

The truth is, drugs are so readily available in EVERY city that the sheer amounts of users is enormous. The profits made from drug sales evidently point to the fact that there are millions of users. Since the people on this board are evidently old idiotic expats who know everything about nothing, let me tell you a hard fact that your dumb@ss doesn't know: The majority of drug users are Middle to very High Class people. Don't believe this? Ask a major coke dealer and ask him who's his best customer. Your neighborhhod lowlife Bum, or a Banker who buys Kilos every weekend just to have fun with his friends.

Like all abusers, the addiction seems worst when you live in poverty or can't make ends meet. If you're poor and you become an addict, you become a Bum. Simple as that. If you're rich and successful you go to something they call "Rehab." It prevents you from becoming a bum and being a disgrace to your family. I can not even tell you the thousands of Rich Bums that exsist in this world.

Enough with the "drugs are bad crap." You buy it, you put it in your system, it's YOUR decision. Live with it.

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Pingu said:
You people argue about drugs without knowing ANYTHING about the business, the social imperatives or anything else about drugs. You don't do drugs because they contradict your moral ideals so you fool yourself into believing that people care about your moral relativism and your ignorant, outdated bull****t. You have no real insight into the drug trade but you are quick to regurgitate the same ol' "Drugs are horrible and they kill people." Yeah, so what? You gonna stop a Drug King Pin from making millions? I don't think so.

The truth is, drugs are so readily available in EVERY city that the sheer amounts of users is enormous. The profits made from drug sales evidently point to the fact that there are millions of users. Since the people on this board are evidently old idiotic expats who know everything about nothing, let me tell you a hard fact that your dumb@ss doesn't know: The majority of drug users are Middle to very High Class people. Don't believe this? Ask a major coke dealer and ask him who's his best customer. Your neighborhhod lowlife Bum, or a Banker who buys Kilos every weekend just to have fun with his friends.

Like all abusers, the addiction seems worst when you live in poverty or can't make ends meet. If you're poor and you become an addict, you become a Bum. Simple as that. If you're rich and successful you go to something they call "Rehab." It prevents you from becoming a bum and being a disgrace to your family. I can not even tell you the thousands of Rich Bums that exsist in this world.

Enough with the "drugs are bad crap." You buy it, you put it in your system, it's YOUR decision. Live with it.
can you say anger management?

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Pingu said:
No. But I can say "SHUT THE Fu(K UP!"

Pingu,

You seem to be arguing with yourself.

It's not that we don't know "****". It is that we were speaking to the specific environment that another poster proposed to us. There was not one piece of information in your post that I was not already aware of (and probably the majority of other posters on this thread).

Nobody was "punking out" the poor people and excusing the rich people. The SUBJECT WAS the poor people. Check youself.

So, can we suffice it to say that drugs are a dead-end street for ALL people now that you have that off your chest?

Scandall

La La Land

Dec 19, 2005
Moral Ideals..More people should have them!

Pingu said:

Yeah I do not know anything about drugs...IF you read the previous posts you would KNOW that I have seen enough of it from my DOMINICAN husband who stole anything of value to BUY DRUGS, who pawned anything he could find in my tool shed to BUY drugs, who USED Crack and beat the SH** out of me, my DOGS, and terrified my kids, neighbors, my relatives etc etc etc..DO not think everyone is OUT OF THE KNOW when it comes to drugs just because they are EXPATS..Most are educated far beyond yourself and come FROM cities that are filled with the rath of drugs THAT IS WHY SOME ARE EXPATS...they wanted a cleaner life I suppose....I have seen what DRUGS of all types do to many people. I currently live next to a METH head farmer who looks 70 years old when he is 49. I have seen it first hand, found it in my window ledges, in my horse feed trough poles, in my truck door panels, in my rafters of my garage..I have seen what it does, seen what destruction it causes and I have spoken to many a weak d**ked dealer who used excuses for not getting a real job..YOU may be an idiot to think that nothing can be done to help those on drugs, or to help drug dealers see they are wrong but I do not think I am an idiot for having hope that people CAN and WILL change because I have seen at least ONE man change from 20+ years of COKE addiction..AND SMARTA**, MOST people who get involved in the middle class will end up BUMS in the end as they LOSE evrything they owned due to the need to get high..I have been to MANY a party where my UPPER CLASS PROFESSIONAL friends were snorting coke, smoking OPIUM (Most are Iranians) and they sometimes keep their habits recreational but some lose everything due to drugs. It is a LOSE LOSE situation no matter what class and that is not my MORALS coming into play that is reality! Surely you know that since you know everything and everyone else is an idiot...As for your "Moral Relativism"..you seem too bitter to have any..."Outdated Bull****" does not come from my mouth. I regularly speak to my recovering crack head husband who is working in New Orleans rebuilding homes and to my meth head neighbor who is speeding so fast some times he is like a two year old who is fidgiting so fast..I know what I know and I have faith in people to make a change when they can. If big KING PIN drug dealers were good people theywould make money by helping people not hurting them..AND drugs do kill ESPECIALLY when they are cooked up in a garage somewhere out of god knows what chemicals..TALK TO YOUR LOCAL METH/CRACK HEAD TODAY...See what GOOD has come to him/her lately.....:) PAM

Yeah..Shut the F**K up is really mature..Maybe you do need anger management and your a** kicked by some IDIOT would not hurt either....LOL ...:)

Last edited:

Pingu

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 20, 2005
La La Land,

It is clear that you have had one hell of a tragic life. First you marry a crackhead. Bad enough decision already. Then, you have the nerve to tell me I need anger management when your idealistic case is evidently filled with more rant than mine. You see ONE man go from addict to recovered crackhead and you think you've ceased the moral high ground because you have "hope." Well, I could care less about a fool like you who posts on-line that I should get my ass kicked. If you had any sense, you wouldn't write something as childish as that and secondly, you'd watch your mouth.

BTW You're right, "Shut The Fcuk up" is not mature. Its an aggressive pharase I say to idealistic idiots like you who wants everyone to hug, kiss, and cuddle with this world's negative vortex. Maybe this is why you chose your screen name to be "La La Land." It is clear that this is where you reside.

This thread is officially irrelavant as people don't STATE FACTS. They state what they FEEL about the facts. Can anyone PLEASE post anything relavant to the Dominican Crack Culture and not how you feel about the damned drug already??

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
It only makes you appear stupid when I am sure you are not, you are simply a product of your environment like the street thugs who deal dope to kids right? :) PAM[/QUOTE]

iight chick look im not a product of nothing im just putting out the facts and life experiance that i've had in the defense that at times selling drugs could be justified by the enviroment and hardships that they are in. and sorry your kid is hanging out with crack heads but thoughs crack heads decided to do the crack they had the dicision to say "no" they where aware of the the dangers were but they did it anyway.

Joshua R

Jan 2, 2006
Pingu said:

OOOOOHH SHAZZZZAAAMMMM SHOT ALL YALL DOWN !!!!! pingu you did good couldnt of said it better myself

RHM

Doctor of Diplomacy
Sep 23, 2002
www.thecandidacy.com
Joshua R said:
OOOOOHH SHAZZZZAAAMMMM SHOT ALL YALL DOWN !!!!! pingu you did good couldnt of said it better myself

You are correct. You couldn't have. Because you have been failed by not only your family (which, I admit, I could be wrong about) but your teachers. I am sure about the teacher part. Your arguments are incoherent and without logic. I feel bad for you. I truly do.

Scandall

Status
Not open for further replies.