Dominicans are machos? Really?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Times article makes the statement that no one knows why the native Americans have a more severe problem with alcohol. The truth is it is an evolution thing. Certain groups of people have been exposed to drinking alcohol for several thousand years and have developed an immunity to it. The native Americans had never met it until it was introduced a few short hundred years ago. Mediterranean peoples have been drinking it for a very long time. Yes I can produce references although I have never figured out how to do links.
Der Fish

I see if I can find the relative links for you. I have a friend who did a study of the effects of sugar in the diets of Pima Indians and he has many links on the effects of Alcohol on natives.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I read that the Dominican Republic is reportedly extremely high levels of violence against women. Dominican men beat their wives, betrayed and badly treated.
Somehow I find that hard to believe. Regularly I visit the Dominican Republic and they all are so friendly, charming and nice. Is it true what people say or is it just stereotypes?

Yet another thread of the type: Are Dominicans xxxxx? Or Do Dominicans yyyyy?

Why on earth is it so hard to understand that Dominicans are not factory-made with a single blueprint?
Is any group of human beings factory-made?

There are TEN MILLION Dominicans, of many different education/income/religious levels/persuasions. Depending on those factors, the answers to questions of the form Are Dominicans xxxxx? Or Do Dominicans yyyyy? will vary.

Isn't that COMPLETELY OBVIOUS?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
My experience is when I go to a restaurant with a lady, most any I have met here I suggest that she tell the waitress what she wants and she asks me what I want, I tell her to place her order and she doesn't seem able to do so if I do not do so first!
This is not restricted to ladies. It is an unwritten rule at least in the DR (probably in other places also) that when you are invited to a restaurant or bar by someone who is going to pay your bill, you wait until the payer orders, and then you order something of comparable price. If you are asked to order first, you are afraid of ordering something that your host will find abusive (too expensive).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is not restricted to ladies. It is an unwritten rule at least in the DR (probably in other places also) that when you are invited to a restaurant or bar by someone who is going to pay your bill, you wait until the payer orders, and then you order something of comparable price. If you are asked to order first, you are afraid of ordering something that your host will find abusive (too expensive).

it depends upon who you are with. i know many foreigners who have taken women here out to have a meal, and they always seem to want the lobster. they know that if a Dominican guy took them out, they would never ever think of sticking him with the bill for that.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Yet another thread of the type: Are Dominicans xxxxx? Or Do Dominicans yyyyy?

Why on earth is it so hard to understand that Dominicans are not factory-made with a single blueprint?
Is any group of human beings factory-made?

There are TEN MILLION Dominicans, of many different education/income/religious levels/persuasions. Depending on those factors, the answers to questions of the form Are Dominicans xxxxx? Or Do Dominicans yyyyy? will vary.

Isn't that COMPLETELY OBVIOUS?

No its not that obvious really......

We could start a thread on " do russians drink vodka ? " and obviously the answer will be yes..... even though we could find a bunch of russians who dont drink vodka.

Of course humans are not factory made...... but a ) most fellow country men share common traits ( one could argue that was what made them fellow country men in the first place ).
b) the lesser population, the more traits they would tend to share ( not to burst anyones bubble but in the grandscheme of things, 10 million is nothing )
c ) even more so, when said population is trapped on an island ...... ( can say that cos i am British ;) ).

Back to the macho thingy.
Not to sure what macho means.

First, you cant compare middle dr clas.s to first world middle clas.s. Neither in life style nor in numbers. So thats that.
Again, sorry to burst anyones bubble but 70% of dominicans dont have sh.it compared to our home countries population.

Secondly, as opposed to "first world countries" dominican ladies are the first generation that are enjoying equality of genders more or less.
I would guess there are still millions of dominicanas that spend their entire life spitting out kids, washing clothes like in the first half of the 20th century, fetching water from god-only-knows-where, cooking food that takes HOURS to cook ( another evil man invention to submit wifey ;) )......
So its a full time job. So no income. After Mister sets aside rum money and cuero money, whats left is giving to madam to be used on food, clothes, salon, banca, not necesseraly in that order......
No wonder the current generation ladies ( like 30 and under )are kind of aggressive, if u ask me.... if they are not, whisssk, pouuff, locked up like an egg-producing chicken.

Thidly, add to that, as noted in previous posts, the tendancy of dominicans to produce a whole baseball team of kids ( usally lots of diffrent dads amd lots of diffrent mothers )........
People always ask why we dont have kids..... are we ill ?? I now answer " i am scared they will turn out like yours " :) which has made me lots of friends......

So yes I would say the dr is a macho society, but it is changing fast, very fast. Probably for the better, whatever the bigots may say.
More education for girls = better jobs for ladies = better income= better family lifestyle = better education for the kids.
Cos we all know, if a mans income increases, he will spend it on himself. Whereas if a ladies income increases ( or starts getting income) she will spend it on the household, the kids and education . True world wide not specific to the dr.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
it depends upon who you are with. i know many foreigners who have taken women here out to have a meal, and they always seem to want the lobster. they know that if a Dominican guy took them out, they would never ever think of sticking him with the bill for that.
Well, I gave an answer to a foreigner who indicated he has found the exact opposite (women were hesitant to order first).

Anyhow, some Dominicans can definitely afford lobsters, however implausible you think it is.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
No its not that obvious really......

We could start a thread on " do russians drink vodka ? " and obviously the answer will be yes..... even though we could find a bunch of russians who dont drink vodka.

Of course humans are not factory made...... but a ) most fellow country men share common traits ( one could argue that was what made them fellow country men in the first place ).
b) the lesser population, the more traits they would tend to share ( not to burst anyones bubble but in the grandscheme of things, 10 million is nothing )
c ) even more so, when said population is trapped on an island ...... ( can say that cos i am British ;) ).

Back to the macho thingy.

It's amazing how much garbage you can pack in a single post.

And one doesn't need to read much to find it...a splendid example:
" do russians drink vodka ? " and obviously the answer will be yes..... even though we could find a bunch of russians who dont drink vodka.
You really know about logic.

Do you have any notion of statistics, do you know what that is?

Instead of spewing nonsense, I suggest that you spend a little time doing some simple research with google. You will find that most of what you believe about Dominicans is unadulterated garbage, even if we more reasonably insert the word "average" in front of Dominican.

Educate yourself a tiny bit.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, I gave an answer to a foreigner who indicated he has found the exact opposite (women were hesitant to order first).

Anyhow, some Dominicans can definitely afford lobsters, however implausible you think it is.

i guess reading comprehension is giving you a hard time tonight. nobody said that Dominicans cannot afford lobsters. i said that the rank and file woman would not go ordering a lobster if some local guy invited them out for a meal. it is no different than the reality that if a Dominican guy takes a woman out for a little dancing and drinking, it is generally beer, or maybe a rum service. when it is a gringo who takes them out, then they want Baileys. i have seen women who have been out with friends of mine ordering Patron. then they want to chase it with something like 911.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
We like to think of ourselves as Macho. The truth is that most of us are insecure, and lack the maturity needed to care for kids and have meaningful relationships. Most of us (except for the devoutly religious) cheat and violently treat those close to us. Cocaine and alcohol use are also prevalent.

I have much more respect for Anglo Americans who are generally loyal to their mates and view domestic violence as taboo. They also love their families and as a result limit substance abuse

All you are is a SHAMELESS TROLL. A coward who hides behind an Internet pseudonym to insult millions of people.
It is amazing that the moderators allow you to engage in such conduct.

You use the old troll trick of ascribing yourself to some group of people you wish to attack, and then use your own self-proclaimed affiliation as a license to spew vicious attacks to 'your own' group. As if no one else had thought of that trick before.

The DR is a "putrid" "POS", right? May I suggest again that you say that to the being that looks at you when you stand in front of a mirror. You have proven that you would be absolutely truthful.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
i guess reading comprehension is giving you a hard time tonight. nobody said that Dominicans cannot afford lobsters. i said that the rank and file woman would not go ordering a lobster if some local guy invited them out for a meal. it is no different than the reality that if a Dominican guy takes a woman out for a little dancing and drinking, it is generally beer, or maybe a rum service. when it is a gringo who takes them out, then they want Baileys. i have seen women who have been out with friends of mine ordering Patron. then they want to chase it with something like 911.

Read before spewing.

I told you and repeat again that I was replying to a FOREIGNER who found the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you describe.

What part of that sentence are you finding difficult to understand?

Obviously his experience differes from that of "your friends". It may have something to do with the kind of women each socializes with. Believe it or not, Dominican women are NOT factory made, however implausible it seems to you.

Some Dominican men can afford to invite a woman and do to a lobster dish, however implausible it seems to you. Perhaps not the Dominicans that would socialize with you. Dominican men are not factory made.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
All you are is a SHAMELESS TROLL. A coward who hides behind an Internet pseudonym to insult millions of people.
It is amazing that the moderators allow you to engage in such conduct.

You use the old troll trick of ascribing yourself to some group of people you wish to attack, and then use your own self-proclaimed affiliation as a license to spew vicious attacks to 'your own' group. As if no one else had thought of that trick before.

The DR is a "putrid" "POS", right? May I suggest again that you say that to the being that looks at you when you stand in front of a mirror. You have proven that you would be absolutely truthful.

as much as i might disagree with you on certain things, i will agree with you that i am suspicious of the nationality of rfp. i have some bitter disappointments regarding the condition of my own country today, to the degree that i opted not to retire there. it has been degraded by all manner of neer do well types, and is virtually unrecognizable when compared to the bygone era of the 70s and 80s. however, i could not animate myself by disgust to refer to it as a putrid POS.

as to glorifying the Anglo Saxon types, and their approaches to domestic violence and drug abuse...hmmm. rfp needs to watch some more Dateline, and see all these wealthy, upstanding Anglos who murder their wives and husbands. he also has to think about all those wealthy suburban kids who are clandestinely holed up in rehab centers, or whose daddies have bought off judges to keep them out of the slammer.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
As a dominican/local myself, im starting to get sick of all this "dominican bashing" going on lately and it's actually kind of funny how so many haters congregate in a forum dedicated to the country or society they hate the most, even reaching to the point of making a clone account to pose as a dominican on the hopes that their assertions may acquire some validation that way. I've seen that over and over again in the internet and it's getting old. It's actually kind of sad and pathetic, the way some of you waste so much time of your life just hating on a whole country for no reason. I kind of feel bad for some of you and it's kind of depressing. I don't imagine myself wasting so much energy hating something or someone.

I want to make clear however that im only referring to a select few of forumers in this thread. The majority of you are ok.

But to answer the original post for which this thread was created, yes dominicans are really friendly, but the macho culture is also very prevalent. From my point of view, i see it as a constant eagerness to be an alfa male. Every latino man wants to be the alfa male of the group at all cost and on top of that, we tend to be very passionate people. These two traits combined are the main reasons why latino men (in this case dominican men) tend to be viewed as violent people by other cultures, yet some of the stereotype expressed in this thread are highly exaggerated. Yes, we are very friendly, you can be a macho man that doesn't mean you have to be rude or unkind, but no matter how friendly, the average dominican is not someone to engage in a heated argument with. Unfortunately the average dominican is not a good listener while agitated and when a dominican see's his pride in danger, he tends to act impulsively which explains the explosive rage outbursts that have ended tragically in some cases, but that only happens in extreme situations though.

The problem with domestic violence is that dominican women tend to be like that too and in dominican culture, being dominated by a women is viewed as a disgrace and the man that lets himself be dominated by a women is often object of mockery by his friends, even more so if the girls is suspected to be cheating on him. Of course, most men would just dump the girl, but some men take it upon themselves to go physical on her and voila, the media making a whole circus out of it and planting the idea in other men who are having passional problems with their wive's or girlfriends.

May I emphasize that a huge percentage of dominicans do not fit these stereotypes, but it would be a lie to to deny that it is very ingrained in the traditional culture, especially in the lower classes.

Also, sorry for the spelling mistakes if you spot any, im not very well versed in the english language.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I see this " rooster " behavior at the school whenever a conflict arises. We spend a great deal of time talking and role playing to the teachers to train them on how to defuse conflicts without violence or harsh words. I often see other child involve themselves as peacemakers though, and I know this happens at the adult levels as well.
I see lots of shouting , arguing, and fist-shaking but usually it's broken up before it becomes fists, knifes, or guns. When drugs and/or alcohol are involved all bets go out the window. As in other cultures the women usually fight with their mouths, and can be unbelievably nasty, and seem to incite violence.
My observations.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
quips Virgo

Some Dominican men can afford to invite a woman and do to a lobster dish, however implausible it seems to you. Perhaps not the Dominicans that would socialize with you

Dominicans who would socialize with me. it amuses me, for a reason. the last Dominican who was too important to give me the time of day turned out to be the guy who cleaned out dozens of foreigners of their life savings. go to POP and ask about the guy who was so important.

Virgo, you do not know me, so you have no idea whom i know. i am not interested in some member of the Dominican jeepetocracy. i have associated with people whose names are recognizable the world over. i do not see too many of those here. not even the peloteros.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It's amazing how much garbage you can pack in a single post.

And one doesn't need to read much to find it...a splendid example:

You really know about logic.

Do you have any notion of statistics, do you know what that is?

Instead of spewing nonsense, I suggest that you spend a little time doing some simple research with google. You will find that most of what you believe about Dominicans is unadulterated garbage, even if we more reasonably insert the word "average" in front of Dominican.

Educate yourself a tiny bit.

Which reminds me that the probable cause of machisme is lack of self confidence and/or insecurity..... ;)

I need to run, to post on uk1, to rant on the poster who said british like pubs.... and then to fr1, where another said french like their wine !!
How dare they say that without google satatistics to back it up !!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Virgo:

I suggest you take a little break and take a few deep breaths......................

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which reminds me that the probable cause of machisme is lack of self confidence and/or insecurity..... ;)

I need to run, to post on uk1, to rant on the poster who said british like pubs.... and then to fr1, where another said french like their wine !!
How dare they say that without google satatistics to back it up !!

i am off to offend some guys on Russia1. i hear they drink vodka there.