Dominicans: Are they pathologically inconsiderate?

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
Rocky is right! Dominicans generally are childlike

Based on your comments about Dominicans, two things come to mine mind.
1) Were you on cocaine or crack before coming out with such a conclusion?
2) How many years of researching and traveling the country; Did take you for
your hypothesis?

Rocky is 100% correct you must be on crack cocaine, not rocky. You my friend see life in the dr with Laledescope eyes if you sincely think Rocky is wrong!

Remember he was making a generalization and didnt say everyone was child like in the isla.

cuas

May 29, 2006
Dominican in NY. Waiting for the train. It was past midday and weekday. A worker came to me and said "You are the first person who took her garbage to the trashcan, I have been cleaning after people the whole morning.

islabonita

Sep 29, 2006
In NY a dominican will never allow you to change lanes on the highway. As soon as you show that you need it he will accelerate to prevent you from doing so.
Other nationalities and looks - about 50-50.
With dominicans - forget about any courtesy and politness.

This knowleadge and experience helped me alot when I arrived to DR without any idealistic expectations in this regard.

Why they act against us like this - is a very different question.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In NY a dominican will never allow you to change lanes on the highway. As soon as you show that you need it he will accelerate to prevent you from doing so.

This knowleadge and experience helped me alot when I arrived to DR without any idealistic expectations in this regard.

It's just a macho thing. Nothing personal.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Dominican in NY. Waiting for the train. It was past midday and weekday. A worker came to me and said "You are the first person who took her garbage to the trashcan, I have been cleaning after people the whole morning.

A little much needed balance on this thread.;)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006

Hey buddy you must be kidding.:surprised

incredible

Jul 9, 2006
It was a provocative title. It got me to read the thread. Let's face it, if the DR is not your home, it's likely that these types of things are going to bother you. If you've grown up here, left and try to return, it's likely that they'll bother you even more.

Nobody understands why my parents (who grew up in Antigua, a nearby island) didn't want to go back when they retired.

I understand the frustration, but there's just some things that are valued diferrently in different cultures. In a family-oriented culture like that in the DR, people will take that phone call over watching a movie. It's not bad, it's just different. If you live in the DR you're better off letting it slide and go with the flow.

Otherwise, go back home and deal with all the things you might not like there...what would you prefer? I always think time spent abroad always my perspective on life back home. I don't know where you are from, but there are just as many idiosyncracies here in Canada that we must deal with...they're just different or maybe not as simple as folks talking on the cell phone in the theatre, right?

As the first generation Canadian in my family, I have dealt with the cultural divide right here at home with my parents and then between my Canadian friends (whether 1st generation or 10th or First Nations). Caribbeans in general may speak their minds, it's refreshing...you know what they're thinking and they do not mince words. Canadians on the other hand, we can be completely diplomatic and polite to the point where we don't know what the other person is thinking. That's frustrating too. No wonder some parents here might not even know what they're kids are doing or families don't get together as often as they could. Maybe we have too many distractions. In the Dominican Republic, family and friends are often all someone really has. That's their priority.

I will agree with your statements that Dominicans are the friendliest most approachable, outgoing people in the world.

However, do you truely think family values in the dr is good? Are you dreaming?

60%-70 % of all men have children with different women, high school graduation rate is 10%, the dr's women have the highest rate per capita in prositution in the world, the dr men have the highest deportation rate from the usa (mostly for dealing drugs), teen prgnancy is rampant etc.
Think again, do you truely feel that Dominicans have good strong family values? I do agree generally speaking Dominicans are sweet, good hearted people that mean well but they are at the lower end of the sphere in Education in the Americas, & that's why family values are poor and Dominicans generally speaking are childlike....;)
Again no education = Childlike! ;)