Dominicans at mlb what's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Nothing bizarre about that...the sports were brought by whomever had the biggest influence in the island. In the DR, Puerto Rico and Cuba that was The US...Reason why we play Baseball whereas Haitians, Jamaicans, etc...play soccer...and why nowadays you're starting to see Dominicans appear in The NBA or even the NFL. If there was interest in Soccer Dominicans could be just as good as anyone, but just like in The US it is just not a sport with a big following and I don't think will ever be.

Then Panama must be the exception to the rule ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They played Mexico yesterday and I bet half of the population was dressed in red (team colors) going to work

i have always thought that it was sad for the DR that they do not participate in a sport which creates a wave of national pride, at least even episodically. despite the greatness of their baseball players, there is really no major tournament that brings the country together. the baseball tournaments are half assed affairs, with very little prestige. World Cup is different. watch what is going to happen in places like Brazil and Argentina in the World Cup. as you mentioned, the entire country will be dressed in team colors. victories will generate massive all night parties. it is similar to the Olympics. the entire country of Jamaica comes to a standstill during the sprint events...pandemonium reigns. i wish baseball could do the same for the DR.

Jun 18, 2007
i have always thought that it was sad for the DR that they do not participate in a sport which creates a wave of national pride, at least even episodically. despite the greatness of their baseball players, there is really no major tournament that brings the country together. the baseball tournaments are half assed affairs, with very little prestige. World Cup is different. watch what is going to happen in places like Brazil and Argentina in the World Cup. as you mentioned, the entire country will be dressed in team colors. victories will generate massive all night parties. it is similar to the Olympics. the entire country of Jamaica comes to a standstill during the sprint events...pandemonium reigns. i wish baseball could do the same for the DR.

The Dr is strange in that way, have never met a people who's so proud of their country as the Dominicans are but in fact have little to be proud of. Well Bachata and Presidente take care of that it unifies them in a blink of an eye. ;)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Dr is strange in that way, have never met a people who's so proud of their country as the Dominicans are but in fact have little to be proud of. Well Bachata and Presidente take care of that it unifies them in a blink of an eye. ;)

the pride goes little beyond bandera waving. i have been in the company of lawyers and accountants, and seen them throwing soda pop bottles in the streets, too. some pride.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
The Itsthmus of Panama was not even a country until 1903, it was part of Colombia, a fooball crazy country.

But the USA controlled DR completely from 1916-1924. MLB started around 1876.

[US diplomatic Sumner Welles worked the way out of DR for the US and soon wrote a book about DR-USA "Nabot's Vineyard", if you know what that means, involving Jezabel, who seemed to have cocomordan too LOL]

A country that creates "pandemonium" just because an sport is a laboratory field for psycologists.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The other day I saw people playing soccer, they were Haitians.
Apparently they have a better eye/foot combination than Dominicans.
Then again Haitian women also have cocomordan. ;)

this is the only interesting post in this entire thread. just imagining the connection between cocomordan and eye/foot coordination leaves my mind boggled.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
"Dominicans are but in fact have little to be proud of"

what about baseball itself? and what about the reasons for DR1's to move to DR? [also in my wish list]

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Itsthmus of Panama was not even a country until 1903, it was part of Colombia, a fooball crazy country.

[US diplomatic Sumner Welles worked the way out of DR for the US and soon wrote a book about DR-USA "Nabot's Vineyard", if you know what that means, involving Jezabel, who seemed to have cocomordan too LOL]

A country that creates "pandemonium" just because an sport is a laboratory field for psycologists.

you tell me one country that does not have pandemonium break out when they win a major international event.....

Jun 18, 2007

They didn't really start soccer in Panama till 1918, 68 years after the Americans arrived. So much for your theory

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
They didn't really start soccer in Panama till 1918, 68 years after the Americans arrived. So much for your theory

arrived?, [68 years prior to 1918] enligthen me, it is good to learn new/old things

what is the history, begining, of soccer in south and central america?

anyaway 'US arriving' does not mean controlling the whole country 'completely', cultural influence etc

Jun 18, 2007
arrived?, [68 years prior to 1918] enligthen me, it is good to learn new/old things

what is the history, begining, of soccer in south and central america?

anyaway 'US arriving' does not mean controlling the whole country 'completely', cultural influence etc

The Americans build the railroad 1850-1855, mr John Aspinwall
They had a large influence then already, Watermelon war of 1856

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Watermelon War", why didn't we continue to use Watermelons???
"Emperic", just when , and WHY did "DR1 move here to the DR???
We all must have missed THAT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Maybe it's just your "Something", Spanish , translation software????

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Haiti has traditionally been pretty good at football. the DR cannot get out of its own way. that is bizarre, because it is the only Latin American country i can think of that cannot play the game, and has no interest in it. in places like Argentina, and Mexico, and just about all others, it is lifeblood.

Last friendly they beat Haiti 3-1. I see Haitians playing soccer in Jarabacoa as well. Dominican girls and women as well. It's a popular sport.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
"Watermelon War", why didn't we continue to use Watermelons???
"Emperic", just when , and WHY did "DR1 move here to the DR???
We all must have missed THAT!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Maybe it's just your "Something", Spanish , translation software????

"Criss Colon" seem to me the best translation to spanish for TROLL, cant find any better. :)

Or you want to be true to your name? You better use the well known Col?n last name, it is less insinuating and will relate you to the Gran Almirante.

Colon = asshole in either language, Am I right?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Last friendly they beat Haiti 3-1. I see Haitians playing soccer in Jarabacoa as well. Dominican girls and women as well. It's a popular sport.

friendlies don't count. they are just there to get some asses into stadium seats. they mean nothing.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013

I guess you and other people move to DR, from all over the world [ususlly not following $], for the same 'little' reason 'dominicans' are proud of

what was your motivation?

When in Rome, act like a Roman, adapt without complaining too much, or leave

Status
Not open for further replies.