dominicans coming to england

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think it would be very interesting to see posting of anyone that was successful in getting a girlfriend/boyfriend visiter's visa to any country. Then these posters could learn what countries will allow it. So if you have been successfull start a new thread
Husbands/ Wives/ don't count...( they do but not in this) just want to hear who did get a visiter's visa for a girlfriend/boyfriend.

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Anna

Anna Coniglio said:
I think it would be very interesting to see posting of anyone that was successful in getting a girlfriend/boyfriend visiter's visa to any country. Then these posters could learn what countries will allow it. So if you have been successfull start a new thread
Husbands/ Wives/ don't count...( they do but not in this) just want to hear who did get a visiter's visa for a girlfriend/boyfriend.

My sister and her Husband went to DR, while my sister was pregnant, because they wanted to get a specific person for the care of their baby. They actually got permission to bring the lady back with them but only for a period of 6 month. Unfortunately my Sister declined on the proposal because she wanted the person to be allowed to stay at least 2 years for the sake of the baby.

I also know a fellow who fell in love with a Dominican Woman but he refused to marry her unless he knew she would be allowed into the country. He put a request in for her to get, not a visa but residency, and they gave it to her with in a year. I guess that if they know your intention before hand, and they see that you are honest from the beginning, they might grant you the permission. Even though I must confess that with the two cases I just mentioned, these people?s US income had a lot to do with it?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks Salomon. The nanny one is interesting. The other sounds like a sponsership, same as a husband/ wife. Very interesting. Any stories about boyfriend /girlfriends getting visiter's visa?

Last edited:

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Anna

I know for a fact that they have given permission to people to leave the country, but you have to travel with them back and forth. You are also hold entirely responsible for that person in the case that they disappear and do not return to the country. That is a big responsibility; therefore make sure it is someone you trust. About five years ago my mom did it with a girl friend. When she returned to the country she again applied for a Visa and they gave her a 10-year permission as she proved herself responsible. Unfortunately, I don?t have any experience when it comes to visa for boyfriend / Girlfriend relations, but I imagine it is harder?
MS

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Fred....

Where did you get those stats about Canada from? I never knew that they had a record on such a thing. I'm interested, please let me know.

When I brought my two friends over they were guys. One could have been my boyfriend, they didn't know. They came over for a time period of two months and then returned to their country. It happens.

It is true what Salomon said that you have to be in complete responsibility of this person, as well as say that you will support them financially while they are in the country. In my case, that is. You have to be honest and know the person well as others have said or else it could be a problem, if somthing arises.

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
Great idea, Anna, has anyone had success?? Just to hear a hopeful story or two for the sake of positivity would be nice...

Solomon: what type of visa is it in which it is possible to go and 'pick someone up' as it were in the DR and bring them back, being responsible for them while they are there? Is that just the regular tourist visa using a US sponsor?

Because I know a lot of people who have been denied based on a simple tourist visa, although they had a wealthy sponsor, and it was even a work related trip. Sometimes I think it's just luck and the consulate's mood that day...

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Response to Meridith

Until about 4 years ago, Dominicans did not need visas to visit Canada. Here is what happened.

A charter plane full of Dominicans wanting to visit there families came to Canada, 60% made a dash for the US border because they had family in the US. When the arrived at the US border(of course non of them spoke any English) they were all detained and sent back to the DR.

Since then the US State Department put pressure on the Canadian government to slap visa restrictions on Dominicans. This is from an article in the Toronto Star.

So there you have it, a bunch spoiled if for the rest. Now only the very wealthy(maybe a few church groups) can get visitor's visas.

They will however give it to elderly people over 50.

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Bugsey ..

It is not even a visa?It?s more like a permission for a few days to go in and out of the country using a US sponsor. If the person with the permission goes by the laws and comes back to the country responsibly, she/he would have a better chance at getting a 5 to 10 year visa afterwards.

?It is so true, according to some other stories I have heard, getting this permission or for that matter a visa depends greatly on what kind of mood the consulate is in.

MS

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Passengers are known by their luggage

Embassies and Consulates are either naive or they purposely issue visas to any dick and tom.

How is it possible that people who get a Canadian visa can jump to the border to enter the U.S.? It must be part of the European Union's conspiracy to get as many Dominicans out of DR as possible so that they can be replaced by Haitians here in our cities and finally force the union they have been seeking.

You see, the theory here is that they rather have Dominicans than Haitians in Canada. The more Haitians can imigrate to DR the less numbers to Canada. They have learned their lesson from the disaster in the Bahamas, which is now Haitian territory.

Europeans have already set this in motion, making it easy for Dominicans to migrate.

But truly, look at the difference between two types of traveller:

1)The Dominican who does not need a visa:
This is a Dominican who is self-supporting or has an excellent income, owns a home or properties, owns vehicles, has ample financing and credit,good education, financial stability and would live better in DR than abroad. When travelling, this person carries light quality luggage, travellers checks and credit cards in dollars and a return flight ticket in first class. A rented car is waiting for this person at the other airport. The person already has tickets for amusement parks, theaters or other activities, hotel reservations and other planned activities. In other words, this is a real tourist or business traveller.

2)The Chopo who needs a visa to become an illegal immigrant:
This is a jobless or underemployed Dominican who owns nothing but the clothes he or she wears day to day, walks to work or rides a passola, lives in the parents' home or "arrimao", has little or no credit, no bank accounts, very poor education and even worse in cultural knowledge, norms of society and communication skills. When travelling these people carry beat-up borrowed luggage and cardboard boxes tied up with string, they carry a false passport or some form of illegal document and no one is waiting for them at the airport. At best some family or friend would pick them up to take them back to a basement where another 10 other Dominicans are sleeping in partition rooms.

So, how can Canadian, U.S. or European immigration authorities and embassies be fooled? Just by the language applicants use you can tell wether or not this a deserving visitor to your country.
Have you seen their applications for visa? Check their handwriting and spelling mistakes. That's all it takes to refuse somebody.

I'm not a psychologist, but it would take me just one minute to accept or refuse a visa.

TW

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Response To Golo

These Dominicans only got to the US/Canada border in Niagra Falls and attempted to simply cross over into the US. I am sure that their families told them that Canada and the US is the same country. They never even crossed over, they were detained investigated and returned to the DR.

By the way, here in Canada, Haitian have done a tremendous damage especially in Montreal.

If I was a visa officer it would only take me 2 seconds to determine whether a person qualified for a visa. Dominicans who bring their Canadian or American girlfriends to the interview, or who enter saying cono or carajo deserve to be denied.

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
Fred..

Thanks for the info, very interesting.

You could say the same thing about a Canadian, American or European who goes into an office saying F*#k, S@*T and other words like that. Of course, you will be denied, that is just commone sense! Same with spelling mistakes on such an important item. You have to impress the authorities. I would be denied a visa if I did something dumb like that.

What have the Haitians done to Montreal?

Golo, why is it always about class with you? There are good people from all walks of life!

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
Spread Aids

Many documented cases of Haitians speading Aids.

I dont see Golo's post as about "Class" simply about how I personally would travel say I was visiting the DR. I would have my hotel, car, visa card, itinerary all booked in advance. The same if I was going to visit Florida or France.

My travellers cheques would be with me, as well as my debit card ect.

The ones who apply for a visitor's visa, then show up at the airport with $ 50 US dollars are obviously not travelling on vacation.

Mar 21, 2002
Some stereotypes are true

All pakis and hindus stink. Even when they do take a bath the rotten curry sauce seeps thru their flesh. All poor Dominicans are looking for foreigners to swindle. They are professional shiecsters. There is a school in SD which teaches these invaluable skills.

Edited by Rob:
If that's the best you can do, please don't bother posting on DR1.
I'll leave this up, I wouldn't want to get accused of censorship.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Meredith

People always take what I say as just a class thing. But take a look at this.

The Dominican government, the National Association of Hotels And Restaurants(ASONAHORES) and the entire Dominican tourist industry(Hotel owners, promoters,etc.) are very concerned about the quality of tourists in the Dominican Republic. They have made it public and continuously argue about this subject in media interviews. Take for instance Channel 30, the tourist channel. I love to watch this channel, because I am interested in knowing about important issues concerning DR. Few people watch these programs, but I make it one of my favorites. In most of their interviews the same subject comes across.

Even Dominicans are concerned about the class of tourist. It is a fact that the majority of our tourism is made up of low income tourists, in other words, the blue collar type. Hotels have a low margin of profit due to this all-inclusive package. They are looking for quality. They want U.S. tourism and upper class world citizens. But, we have to accept the current situation because our infrastructure still leaves a lot to be desired. As we fix the problems, the upper scale will grow.

It has nothing to do with class. It has to do with profit and benefits to the nation. Our Dominican imigrants can only bring headaches to Canada, Europe and the U.S. I for instance, go the the U.S. to spend money. Immigrants go to take jobs from other people and cause problems. Why do you think banks offer credit cards in dollars to some people and not to others?

TW

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Wow!!

O&C, This comes from left field.Even thou you may have a point I recommend you never go to those
countries they love vegetables!!! with curry sauce

Good morning X

Salomon

Apr 4, 2002
Guys,

I must say that I am not one to talk poorly about others, no matter who or how they are. Yet, I will agree with Golo?it?s doesn?t take much to decide who should get a visa and who shouldn?t. To tell you the truth, a person with no writing or verbal skills in Spanish are done a favor if refused for a Visa. This might seem cruel to many, but take a minute to think about this.
An uneducated Dominican is better off in an environment that they can understand, rather than permitted into a country like the US, where they would have to learn a second language. How can someone do better in another country with another language if they haven?t even learned what their country can offer and it?s language?
Example:
All the little boys shining shoes in the street and the little girls selling flowers, at all hours of the day instead of being in school getting an education. You talk to these children and they are so quick to talk about America and how everything is good and magical in America, when in truth if they ever get to come to America as adults with a poor educational background they would someday realize that they were probably better off staying in DR. America is a very hard country. It is a hard country even for those who claim to have it good. Even Golo and Chris realized that, and it is most likely why they left?
MS

Fred

Feb 20, 2002
In Defense of Golo and Myself

One thing that many people perhaps do not understand is that as a Canadian, American, or Dominican of Golo's status, applying for a visa is a small insignificant process.

Very few Canadians, Americans or Dominicans who are professional or business people will be denied visas to visit anywhere.

Take Canadian or American passport holders, most countries to these citizens are open, by that I mean even if they dont have a high income, most countries that these citizens want to visit are open to them.

In the case of Golo, for him obtaining a visa is really just a form of tourist card. Just as Canadians and Americans need a tourist card to visit the DR.. These tourist cards are simply a way for the government to acquire some much needed hard currency.

Golo only needs to present himself to the consulate in question and his visa will be issued, without much trouble. To him it is just a form of tourist card.

There is no fear that he will not return to the DR.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Dominican chusma and local tourism

In a recent CTN channel 30 interview, one of the top hotel owners in DR, a Dominican, stated that Dominicans(our local tourists) make up about 15-20% of the customer base, yet he admitted that most Dominicans who visit our hotels are discouraging a segment of the foreigners because of their bad manners, low education and appearance.

This is not only true of foreigners, but well-educated Dominicans who prefer to go abroad to avoid these groups, or would visit locations that are very selective(like hotels owned by Frank Rainieri or other very demanding hoteliers) and even secluded. Choosy Dominicans also pick weekdays and stay away from major holidays, like Holy Week, where the worst of the worst visits our beaches and resorts.

I have mentioned this before, but among the practices stated by the hotel executive rejected by foreigners are noise, loud talking, urinating in the water, drinking in the swimming pool, throwing garbage,disrturbing women(piropos sucios), misbehavior in food lines, lack of protocol knowledge,room noises, loud music, enviromental damages, etc.

For those who believe I am making this up, contact CTN or Asonahores and ask for information regarding this issue. If requested, I will give the name of the person that was interviewed.

TW

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Entrance Requirements

In order to discourage foreign slackers from coming to the DR, I propose a minimum intelligence and income test to all wishing to enter our fair island. To see the damage that this species of invaders has wrought, I refer you to any All-Inclusive resort. Listen for sentences such as: "I paid my $39 dollars a day. I want a bigger bottle of Presadaintay. "

To illustrate the type of substandard thinkers that like to pollute our race, lets analyze a post by "Fred".

"wanting to visit there families"....thats "their"
"When the arrived ".........its "they"...
"of course non of them spoke any English"..."none"..BTW, are you referring to yourself?

mondongo

Editorial: For those who despise my poor people and my poor island, let me respectfully ask you to do what any intelligent person would do: get the f*&% off my island and stop talking about us. I hope I did not transgress past your fair sense of decorum. good day.. :)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2002
I'm sorry Rob but remember you're justakid

so act like one once in a while. You'll live a longer life!

Why do people find it necessary to pounce on those less fortunate than themselves? We are born by chance not choice. How would Golo feel if he had been born in Haiti as a bracero. It is our duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

I am a defender of the poor Dominicans. Instead of being a white supremacist Golo is a Dominican supremacist. Leave the poor alone. They are doing the best they can. So what if they come back home with 100 gold chains that they pawned for in Nueva Yol.So what if they are loud in public and demand service.At least somewhere in this world they feel wanted.

Don't be so hard on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.