Dominicans in the U.S. Can you identify?

anwwilliams

Sep 29, 2007
Guess I'm having fun with this. I said I was done, but yeah, whatever. I'm loved and hated by some on here. If nothing else the basis of our disagreements parece ser este. How mixed are you (please POPNY don't mention. I already know? I don't care, really, because I also know some Chinese in the DR consider themselves Dominicans; and they are. This is not my conversation as far as I am concerned.)? Does being mixed matter? What is the mixture? How many of which color in your family history versus the next? What really is black? Well, this is old news in America. Already been here. What really is white? Overall blacks, again, never named themselves black. Fact is that no matter how dark a black American is almost all, yes all are mixed with white and Indian; noone really knows what country the African came from or European. Must I repeat what everyone knows? This is what, for years in America being black or colored meant; mixed with African and something else. Now should blacks in America and colored people (or one in the same) say to hispanics mixed with Spanish and Indian and African that you are not colored? Should we remain blind to the discrimination and placement your people experience in America? Should we ignore all the marches we have had together for over 70 years? The mixtures of our very own families with people from colored countries that speak spanish? Hmmmm.
Everyone recognizes the difference. There is a different look yet a very similar look (noone confuses the majority of latinos from DR, Puerto Rico, Panama, Cuba, Brazil with Germans, the Swedish, Russians, Chinese etcetera) , and a different language and culture (beliefs, history of each person from each country, food, music, etcetera).
If you even refer to race then yes, you are going by the European's definition of race [not the one drop rule]. If you do not see race and all you see is mixtures of all the same, then say so. Please don't say you are black or colored or confused only because you don't know or you want to include all. Do whatever you have to do but please keep your heritage and teach others about yourself with good will. I have seen enough people sell everything they once were to sacrifice to be White American and won't mention where they are from. For those who say you are White and are not then please continue to say you are what you believe. This previous sentence doesn't apply to what I've read on here but to other conversations.

Census's today include what country a person is from as a race. They used to not include this. Does this mean an Eritrean living in Normandy with full citizenship and later goes to America and becomes a full citizen fills out that she is of European descent on the census or can consider herself white? Basically, historical records by much of the world has not considered "mixed" as being a race. It was something families just had to keep known and pass it on. With my conversations with Africans (yes, I travel, S.Africa, Bermuda, Panama, Puerto Rico, DR, Toronto, Bahamas, Jamaica, 28 of the 50 states; in Dominican Constanza, Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata, Don Julio, and wherever that Basilica church is) and dating 3 (one from Sudan, Ivory Coast, and Ghana) and having another live in my house for 2 years I discovered that they identified African Americans as white. The same conversation I have with myself with my posts to this on this DR1 I had to convince Africans that overrall African Americans see themselves as relative most to Africa. Many Africans do not see AA as black or African b/c of the loss of identity (meaning having no clue of our tribes, our color, country and no proof of our origin). They see many AA as being lighter than what they consider African and see our mixture. However, some do see. The same exists over there in many countries where darker skinned africans discriminate over even darker skinned africans due to skin color; and the lighter darker skinned people are considered white or mixed. So again I see that many do not understand truly what being black or colored in America has meant. Maybe American history should be understood so it can be better understood what is meant by the word black or colored. Again if almost every colored person is mixed and due to the preferences over sexual selection or in some cases laws; one person, religion, country, family turns out lighter than his brother or sister then what is the discussion here?

Come on, I mentioned more than books, more than internet more than just stating my OPINION. Actually, with all arrogance, more than any proof I've seen from another source. In fact I haven't really stated my opinion in hardly any of this. I proved from various sources how much of the world and America views the DR, blacks, and people of color. I witnessed in all these countries what I already said, and these people volunteered it. I never mentioned it. It is often too ignorant a topic to discuss, mainly b/c people prefer not to study and go off what they believe. Back to what I heard in group discussions was they were WHITE or mixed and yes they admitted to African ancestry, but when they said WHITE and were darker than I it just seemed silly. Then the sister with the same parents was called and considered black by the same sister who called herself white in the DR. When Africans considered me less than African and more White I thought "oh my God." So how mixed is one people over another when both are mixed with African and European and Indian but end up looking colored or now the new term since the 1970's (before rejected by AA's) used and accepted by AA's black? Again are we arguing over who is more mixed based on who is lighter? Does one have to have a certain number of ancestors mixed to be considered....whatever??? If you don't have black or African in you then you just don't have it. WHO CARES? Maybe it's the word or the label or the terminology or the history. I read someone mention that they've seen the lighskin AA's and think they don't appear mixed like Dominicans. Again, for the 3rd time is it a question of how mixed you are and what you are mixed with? Been there, know who I am; and yes I respect highly cultures, races, and differences. I also know how to recognize those who want to be something and claim somethings over others for reasons that are not so good.This conversation was way before Sammy, but with respect to MSNBC.com. By David A. Love 9:15 AM on 11/09/2009

This problem is also prevalent in Latin America. For example, Brazil has the largest black population outside of the African continent at 90 million, which amounts to roughly half of its people. Yet, despite their conspicuous presence in society, black Brazilians face discrimination, poverty, and lower education and health standards than whites. According to a "racial atlas" created by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the Federal University of Minas Gerais, 65 percent of the poor and 70 percent of the extremely poor in Brazil are of African descent.

In the Dominican Republic, Sosa's country of origin, people are overwhelmingly black: 90 percent have African ancestry. Yet only 11 percent identify themselves as black. And as UN experts found, there is "a profound and entrenched problem of racism and discrimination against such groups as Haitians, Dominicans of Haitian descent, and more generally against blacks within Dominican society."

A strong anti-Haitian sentiment is rooted in the country's history. Haiti is a former colonizer of the Dominican Republic, as was Spain. Yet, Dominicans only celebrate their independence from Haiti. Haitian cultural practices are viewed as inferior. The government has engaged in mass deportations of Haitians - and sometimes Dominicans mistaken for Haitians - while also attempting to deny citizenship to the Dominican-born children of so-called "illegal" Haitian immigrants.

But a large reason for this hatred of Haitians is a denial of Dominicans' own African origin. Simply put, sometimes it is difficult to stare at oneself in the mirror. For years, under the Hispanidad movement, the government of the Dominican Republic emphasized the nation's white, Spanish and Catholic heritage, and conveniently left out the black part.

The Dominican Republic is a nation whose hairdressers are known for their hair-straightening prowess and most Dominican women get their hair straightened. Although dark folks are the overwhelming majority, black skin, wide noses and 'pelo malo' (bad hair) do not fit the standard of beauty. So, hair relaxers and skin whiteners are in, and people will call themselves a number of things, such as Indian, burned Indian, Moreno and cinnamon - anything but negro (the Spanish word), or black. This is what years of submerging your culture will do.
Certainly, the U.S. is not immune from this color-coded mentality. African-Americans historically internalized racism by pitting light-skinned blacks against dark-skinned ones, and using paper bag tests for admission to exclusive clubs. Black newspapers and magazines in the 1920s through the 1960s often featured advertisements for skin bleaching creams. Typically, with promises of "lighter, brighter skin," these ads blatantly associated white skin with beauty and success, and depicted dark skin as ugly. Meanwhile, people of color in America still fight against the Madison Avenue standard of beauty, which usually takes the form of a malnourished white blond fashion model with slight facial features.

Sadly, some celebrities of color join in the color-coded madness by lightening up and going under the knife themselves. And people of all colors and ethnicities risk mutilating their faces and bodies to look like distorted cartoon characters.

Sammy Sosa and others must realize that try as you might, you cannot bleach out your history.

Reactions: mountainannie

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
On the night I couldn't sleep, I stumble upon this!

Before I begin, let me crack my knuckles.... :cheeky:

Golo100 said:
Nobody I know can name a Chinese or Russian popular musician of world recognition. That is why the Chinese may be just a financial world power but will never have overall power.
Come on Golo, you can't pretend to not know that once-upon-a-time American culture was as obscure as Chinese culture is today. With the growing influence the Chinese are having in many places, especially in Africa; whose to say their culture will not gain popularity?

If the Americans, who for many years were considered laughable and bound to failure by the British, managed to become a global hegemonic power; so can any other country at the right moment.

This argument of China not having a chance in becoming a global power because as of late its culture is not international is pure nonsense. There are many other reasons that can explain a potential failure of China becoming a global superpower, its culture not being one of them.

Golo100 said:
The world does not and will not adapt to Russian or Chinese culture.
That's what was said about the Americans when they were on their way upwards and look what happened. Again, pure nonsense.

Golo100 said:
Hollywood is the dominant cultural thing. It is in itself a culture and it brings everybody into its fold. Every nationality is now at Hollywood's doorstep.
While its true that Hollywood is a global force, I suggest you research Bollywood. Why? Let's just say they are the number one in movie production, popularity, etc. worldwide; even surpassing your worship idol known as Hollywood.

Golo100 said:
What if Sanchez was black?. Hardly anybody liked him.
Sure Golo, he will be as disliked as Gregorio Luper?n. Oh wait, Luper?n is a name scattered all over the country, busts of him are present from one corner to another; even of the mayor avenues in the Capital has his name. Do you think everyone forgot he was.... black? :paranoid:

Golo100 said:
Duarte was always the favorite guy because he was white.
All this time I thought it was because he was THE reason behind the independence movement. It was him who returned from France and was appalled at the ruin the country had been subjected to under Haitian domination. It was him who got the momentum going.

Golo100 said:
Duarte was always reluctant to be the leader, and when he went to exile they summoned him back.
He was so reluctant to be the leader that he had to be expelled from the country because he was an obstacle to certain personal goals of a few men who wanted to use the country for their benefit only. No wonder he died in Venezuela!

Reluctant to be a leader... sure Golo... let's move on to the next part.

Golo100 said:
Pedro Livio Cedeno, "the black hero" was given a raggedy avenue in a rundown neighborhood black, mulatto ghetto.
That's coincidental given that that neighborhood was not a ghetto when the street was given that name! :surprised

Plus, what about the white Spaniard Nicol?s de Ovando? I wouldn't call Cristo Rey, Villas Agr?colas and Capotillo 'nice' at all.

What about Avenida Duarte? Except for the small stretches in the Colonial Zone and in Villa Francisca, this avenue passes to some of the most depressed, ugly, dirty neighborhoods in the Capital. In fact, its the main shopping street for the Black and Mulatto lower classes!

Let's not forget white Hermanas Mirabal, their avenue passes through.... uh, Villa Mella. Nuff said.

Next.

Golo100 said:
While Duarte was honored with Carretera Duarte, Sanchez was given a highway across ghettos and DominicanYork neighborhoods.
Now its the highways. If we are going to judge the esteem in which certain historical personalities are remembered by the highway that bear their name, the one who truly got the end of the stick was white Mella! Not only is it one of the least used highways out of the Capital going to practically the middle of nowhere, its still a two lane road! S?nchez Highway is an autopista and is the only (read most important) route to reach the southern region from Santo Domingo. In fact, there is practically no other way of reaching el Sur without taking S?nchez highway, currently being expanded to a modern autopista all the way to Ban?.

Come on Golo, give us something good. This is childsplay. :cheeky:

Golo100 said:
Abraham Lincoln, George Washington and Winston Churchill were named after our greatest boulevards. We do not have a Martin Luther King Drive, and if we did it would be in Sabana Perdida.
Oooh, so we are now back to avenidas.

This is becoming ridiculous. Let me give you the memo you seem to not had received:

ADN rebautizar? Avenida Abraham Lincoln con nombre de Martin Luther King - Distrito Nacional

Avenida Martin Luther King Jr - Santo Domingo Este

OK Golo, explain why La King is nowhere near Sabana Perdida or any ghetto neighborhoods.... Explain to everyone why La King del Distrito Nacional is in the mansion filled La Julia neighborhood of the Capital.

Tic toc, tic toc.... :tired:

Golo100 said:
We gave the name of Jose Francisco Pena Gomez to our city airport, but hardly anyone calls it that way. We still prefer Aeropuerto De Las Americas. It has a more Western culture flavor to it.
Did it ever occurred to you that it could just be due to tradition?

Its the same reason Dominicans abroad and Puerto Ricans in PR refer to the DR as Santo Domingo (short for the Colony of Santo Domingo) despite the DR having been independent of Spain for more than century. You hardly hear anyone refer to the DR as La Rep?blica Dominicana, its usually "en Santo Domingo" blah blah blah.

Or why do most Dominicans still refer to the province of Hermanas Mirabal as Salcedo?

Why do residents of Los Acarrizos, of Villa Mella, of Santo Domingo Oeste, Pedro Brand, etc. still claim to be "capitale?os" or from "la misma Capital" when La Capital is only the Distrito Nacional; while the rest of the Metro area are distinct cities?

Tradition Golo, its all due to tradition!

Golo100 said:
He was never elected because we were not ready for a black president again.
All this time I thought it was due to Joaqu?n Balaguer!

I mean, if his blackness prevented him from winning elections; how come he was voted mayor of Santo Domingo in the 1980s? Not just him, black Johnny Ventura was also elected as mayor. There is quite a number of black Senators and Congressmen elected by the people.

You see Golo, its not that the Dominican population was not ready for a black president (remember Lil?s - it doesn't get any more prieto than that!), it was simply a typical result of that happens when people don't play by the rules. Its pretty hard to win in those circumstances, but in the circumstances when the elections were much more fair; he won and that was by a wide margin!

Oh my, all of this is making me sleepy again. Good to know this is good for something. :cheeky:

Golo100 said:
We reluctantly accepted Leonel because he was appointed by Juan Bosch.
And I thought it was simply the PRSC-PLD alliance that made that trick! Silly me!

I'm sleepy, so I'll leave it here. Thanks for bringing by sleepiness back, for a while I thought I had to drink warm milk to have made the trick.

Good night folks! :bunny:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
@ amwilliams: no one cares what Americans think when it comes to other cultures and how that culture chooses to identify. It doesn't matter if you are white American, African American, Chinese American, whatever-American; Dominicans don't care for your explanations.

Dominicans will continue to identify however we (as a people) want, the rest of the world can go to where the sun doesn't shine; thank you very much!

I suggest you learn a few things about race construction in Latin America and the difference between Anglo America and Latin America. Hopefully your Black Anglo-Saxon (because as much as many African Americans like to deny it, they are Anglo-Saxon people who happen to be Black. They think like Anglo-Saxon America, they accept Anglo-Saxon racial categories and explanations, they aspire to a mostly Anglo-Saxon lifestyle while accentuating their 'blackness'; in short they are Anglo-Saxons people in Black/Mulatto bodies) mind will see this through a new Latin American perspective.

Changing Notions of Identity: Latinos and Race Choice

Now I'm really sleepy. :sleep:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
OH dear NO!!!

@ amwilliams: no one cares what Americans think when it comes to other cultures and how that culture chooses to identify. It doesn't matter if you are white American, African American, Chinese American, whatever-American; Dominicans don't care for your explanations.

Dominicans will continue to identify however we (as a people) want, the rest of the world can go to where the sun doesn't shine; thank you very much!

I suggest you learn a few things about race construction in Latin America and the difference between Anglo America and Latin America. Hopefully your Black Anglo-Saxon (because as much as many African Americans like to deny it, they are Anglo-Saxon people who happen to be Black. They think like Anglo-Saxon America, they accept Anglo-Saxon racial categories and explanations, they aspire to a mostly Anglo-Saxon lifestyle while accentuating their 'blackness'; in short they are Anglo-Saxons people in Black/Mulatto bodies) mind will see this through a new Latin American perspective.

Changing Notions of Identity: Latinos and Race Choice

Now I'm really sleepy. :sleep:

Now usually you are somewhat right but this is way wrong

you simply do not know what you are talking about on this one

know nothing of Gullah or Gumbay of Kwanza or Gumbo and have simply gone way beyond your depth

i am disappointed here, Nals... really...

there is very little Anglo in the AA experience except that they have fit into the American quilt and stitched a good bit of our history,

But I do not think that you have ever set foot in a Black church on Sunday... or gone to a huge African American family reunion, ... clearly.... no---

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Now usually you are somewhat right but this is way wrong

you simply do not know what you are talking about on this one

know nothing of Gullah or Gumbay of Kwanza or Gumbo and have simply gone way beyond your depth

i am disappointed here, Nals... really...

there is very little Anglo in the AA experience except that they have fit into the American quilt and stitched a good bit of our history,

But I do not think that you have ever set foot in a Black church on Sunday... or gone to a huge African American family reunion, ... clearly.... no---

I think NALS was just giving Willliams a bit of his own medicine back. Black American culture IS different that white American Culture but it is still American culture. As a Canadian, I see the influence of American culture on Canada but trust me, despite our simularities Black or White Canadians are different than Black or White Americans. There is a great deal of influence of American popular culture on Dominican Culture and much of that is American Black culture. Much of it comes a little diluted by way of Puerto Rico.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think NALS was just giving Willliams a bit of his own medicine back. Black American culture IS different that white American Culture but it is still American culture.

Very interesting article regarding this: Who I'm Is

Here is an interesting quote that goes well from the Williams character:

"The clash between Black immigrants and African Americans is the result of the failure to identify the existence of a culture unique to the descendents of the American slaves and an American ignorance of the rest of the world. For decades the African American expected to find peoples of Africa to be long lost brothers and sisters. This has led to disappointment for African Americans in many cases. There is commonality between Blacks of the two hemispheres. They both carry the burden of racism. However, the cultures of the Blacks are different and the failure to recognize these differences has led to conflict, misunderstanding, and bigotry on both sides. In the Urban Dictionary the word “Akata”, which is used by many on the African continent to represent African Americans, also meaning drama or trouble, is uncomfortably close to the word “nigger” (2004). African Americans, with a typical American ignorance of the rest of the world, can be equally contemptuous of Africans. Both groups, foreign and domestic Blacks, fail to recognize that African Americans have a unique culture and that they do not have a monopoly on the designation Black."

:classic:

Last edited:

DOMINICANUSA

Nov 19, 2007
I think NALS was just giving Willliams a bit of his own medicine back. Black American culture IS different that white American Culture but it is still American culture. As a Canadian, I see the influence of American culture on Canada but trust me, despite our simularities Black or White Canadians are different than Black or White Americans. There is a great deal of influence of American popular culture on Dominican Culture and much of that is American Black culture. Much of it comes a little diluted by way of Puerto Rico.

bob saunders,
The following points call my attention, I find some ironic, some rather curious and some just strange:

-The One Drop Rule/Hypodescent was a white American creation, it was white American culture that socially defined who was 'black'. This cultural defintion was imposed and enforced upon their black minority. It is now so ingrained into American culture (both black and white) that it is blacks themselves who vigorously defend it, any black of mixed heritage who deviates from this faces some stigma from the mainstream.

-OneDroppism was not known in Haiti, Africa, or even Europe who recognize when someone is of mixed heritage. Not even apartheid South Africa.Some African Americans travelling to Africa are surprised to find out when they're not seen as really 'black' but mixed.

-African American Afrocentric scholars, idealogues have been obsessed with LatimAmericans of Afrosdescendancy (Brazil, Cuba, PR, DR, etc.)The issue of onedroppism frequently comes up. Why are they so obsessed with us? I have never heard or read any LatinAmerican be obsessed with African Americans who look like Alisha Keys and question onedroppism. They simply don't care. Yet over and over you read tons of denigrating, insulting blogs, threads, posts, articles, reports, etc. patholiginz us.

-Another irony is that LatinAmericans have a ton of more 'African' culture than African Americans. Irony because African Americans pay so much lip service to Africa (from a distance of course). In comparison, African Americans are as American as apple pie.

-In real life, African Americans discriminate against Africans and West Indian blacks.

DOMINICANUSA

Nov 19, 2007
Very interesting article regarding this: Who I'm Is

Here is an interesting quote that goes well from the Williams character:

"The clash between Black immigrants and African Americans is the result of the failure to identify the existence of a culture unique to the descendents of the American slaves and an American ignorance of the rest of the world. For decades the African American expected to find peoples of Africa to be long lost brothers and sisters. This has led to disappointment for African Americans in many cases. There is commonality between Blacks of the two hemispheres. They both carry the burden of racism. However, the cultures of the Blacks are different and the failure to recognize these differences has led to conflict, misunderstanding, and bigotry on both sides. In the Urban Dictionary the word ?Akata?, which is used by many on the African continent to represent African Americans, also meaning drama or trouble, is uncomfortably close to the word ?nigger? (2004). African Americans, with a typical American ignorance of the rest of the world, can be equally contemptuous of Africans. Both groups, foreign and domestic Blacks, fail to recognize that African Americans have a unique culture and that they do not have a monopoly on the designation Black."

:classic:

In real life, a common stereotype of Africans by African Americans is that they're 'sell outs' or 'uncle toms'. This comes straigth from a Dominican who was raised among all of them. I've sat at lunch tables where an African had to fight an African American after being joked on too many times with 'jungle jokes'.

From a more scholarly perspective, I think Afican Americans, out of all the Afrodiasoporic groups, has suffered the most mental scars and it's reflected by how 'race obsessed' many seem to be (Egypt is black, the original man was black, etc,).
This makes many become 'race warriors', and I do think it's rather arrogant that many think they define 'blackness'. These race warriors go throughout the world, hijaking other cultures, patrolling the borders of blackness.

The more extremist view LatinAmericans of Afrodescendancy as 'self-haters, deniers, etc." simply because they don't share the same views.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
bob saunders,

-The One Drop Rule/Hypodescent was a white American creation, it was white American culture that socially defined who was 'black'. This cultural defintion was imposed and enforced upon their black minority. It is now so ingrained into American culture (both black and white) that it is blacks themselves who vigorously defend it, any black of mixed heritage who deviates from this faces some stigma from the mainstream.

-African American Afrocentric scholars, idealogues have been obsessed with LatimAmericans of Afrosdescendancy (Brazil, Cuba, PR, DR, etc.)The issue of onedroppism frequently comes up. Why are they so obsessed with us? I have never heard or read any LatinAmerican be obsessed with African Americans who look like Alisha Keys and question onedroppism. They simply don't care. Yet over and over you read tons of denigrating, insulting blogs, threads, posts, articles, reports, etc. patholiginz us.

Uh...yeah. Do me a favor. Could you please post some references for the statements I've placed in bold above? My curiosity is both academic, and personal. Academic because I've read a lot of articles from a lot of reputable African American scholars dealing with the black experience in America. And I can't think of one that actually defends the "one-drop rule". And personally, I can tell you that, as an African American, I've never heard any other African American refer to that antiquated rule as a factor in how they identify racially. And I know a lot of biracial individuals who identify themselves as "black". They don't give much credence to the "one-drop rule" either.

Where are you getting this?

Oh. And just to keep my post in line with this thread. Let me also reiterate what another poster has said (and was seemingly ignored). The truth of the matter is, African Americans really don't care how Dominicans identify themselves racially. In fact, I'd even venture to guess that the majority of African Americans, outside of those on the east coast, rarely even have much contact with Dominicans. I doubt if most could even point to the Dominican Republic on a Globe (just like most Americans).

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Corsair

take a look at http//www.destee.com very pan African. They really get down on the South Americans, and Caribbean folk. for not acknowledging their blackness.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Corsair

take a look at http//www.destee.com very pan African. They really get down on the South Americans, and Caribbean folk. for not acknowledging their blackness.

LOL!!! Okay. I understand now. Thanks for the link bienamor. This was good for a few laughs and kinda took me back for a minute to my college days.

Yeah. I know this type. In grad school we used to call them the "Resident Revolutionaries". You know, the extremely militant, afrocentric, Marcus Garvey acolytes. They were good for marching in protests and organizing sit-ins. And some were, indeed, very intelligent. But the really smart ones usually grow up and realize that the world really isn't that black and white. And those that don't? Well, they end up ranting and raving on blogs and forums like the one posted above.

I guess I really don't place much merit in their particular brand of militant philosophy. And you shouldn't either. They really don't represent Black America.

Vince.

Last edited:

anwwilliams

Sep 29, 2007
I have read what many of you all do not agree on. As for those who say you don?t care about America?s view, that?s perfectly fine. Probably shouldn?t read on. You don?t need me to tell you that. I care about other countries and I try to learn. The only way people can learn is to challenge and be open. Okay. What is agreed on?

-Do the majority of Dominicans have Spanish, African, and Indian blood?
-Do the majority of AA?s have European (English, British, French, and Spanish), African (W.African), and Indian blood (South East Native American)?
-Did the Spanish from Spain institute or determine how Dominicans and other Latin American countries categorize themselves according to race?
-What was the influence?
-Which race is predominant in elementary history books in your schools?
-Did the Spaniards leave the DR? Did they return?
-Where do the last names of DR citizens derive?
Were there wars in the DR where the mulattoes, Africans and other color races specifically fought against imperialists (Spaniards and French) for freedom and control over the land?

This is what I think has become the greatest insult or a sign of intolerance and ignorance to many in the DR or other Latin American countries.
Many of you feel when someone (I guesss an American, AA or WA) of America says ?black? they mean AA. Due to this you feel your entire culture, history, and everything that makes you relevant is being attached to AA?s who (with the exception of sharing an ancestor over hundreds of years ago) you have absolutely nothing in common with. It is also very demeaning when someone might see the African in you and disregard the Spanish or Indian, or the fact that you might not have one or the other.
The culture or classification of being Dominican carries with it enough to stand alone as a people united in your category. When categorized by another standard, not yours, it is an insult.
If I went to Dominican and I was categorized (without using a derogatory term) by what they would call me according to what they call people that look like me, it would not be an insult. I would however know, very well the differences. I would teach to my family and those that know me the differences because perhaps what makes me different is more than the one thing people are looking at that makes me similar.
This is different and I would think anyone decent has to respect it.
The main point I go back to though, is the difference between AA, black and colored. Three that were used interchangeably are now in America different; and have been for a while. When others come here this is the view Americans whose families have been here for hundreds of years have and when we go to other places we conform or learn their ways.

To those who say AA?s don?t own black. Yes. Correct. That is my entire point. AA?s and White Americans consider AA?s black along with many other people of color from different nations. Maybe it?s terminology.
Through reading and expressing my views on here I am able to see that many bloggers on here do not view the category of ?black? the same as AA?s. For those that critique or give a damn about what ?Black? is in it?s history in America, black was always a very very broad term to classify a race. It simply meant colored people. I never meant to compliment or offend anyone when I said America had a large part of its history (after Bacon?s Rebellion) which didn?t care about which country people were coming from as much as it did about race. The reason for this was because there were so many people from different countries. Well, the race factor was even confusing, so the government by law and its citizens (which excluded Asians and people of colors? voice or input ) made it simple: White or colored. This was the census. Later or along the same time the word ?black? was synonymous with another word and ?negro.? These terms were applied to colored people and AA?s as well. No one asked if this colored person was from?you fill in the blank. Asians in early America were the only ones who always got a different kind of term but the same discrimination. Because of the fact that the majority of colored people in the U.S. were AA or looked AA these words became attached. The mulattoes all were immediately classified as colored b/c the father?s could not and would not take them into their families as rightful members for obvious reasons. So there was only one place for mulatto children to go. All mulattoes, which were many and later would become almost all AA?s or colored had only one race to turn to for procreation. There is no need to teach what most already know.
The point is simple and important. AA?s and yes most Americans have a very broad and narrow view when it came to the word coloreds or White. They could see someone come from all regions of the earth and immediately classify one way or the other (with exception to most Asians and Indians). They could narrowly and conveniently ignore (I say ignore loosely) the difference in countries, culture, and accent.
With all the rules, laws, wars, colonizing, and privileges set strictly for only those White it became obvious in fine print and in institutions what was evident. What was evident until 1970 and written and pronounced before America and Europe? America had a strong system of White versus Colored. The colored people took hundreds of years before uniting as a people (for countless reasons: among some were seeing themselves as different from the guy in the same position b/c of tribe, language, region, history). For those that know tons about America?s history I?m speaking after Bacon?s Rebellion. After this rebellion White as a race in America became pronounced as the standard for the first time, and you can guess what the pecking order was.

anwwilliams

Sep 29, 2007
Now, a slight tangent on this issue, as Native Americans and AA’s have a strong tie and history together; Native Americans used to take Africans or AA’s and give them tribal names and allow them to live in their family and often encourage intermarriages to show the sign of brotherhood. They had seen the way Africans were treated and compared that to their own treatment and felt a relation.
I have to write this b/c someone will accuse me of otherwise. As Nasir Jones once said “how come every time a black speaks of his own existence it’s known as reverse racism?” There is no ill will on my behalf toward any race. I do see myself in opposition to what has been vastly taught and currently in many ways remains taught in institutions, churches, individuals and so on. Re-writing history took over 1,000 years; many think what was written is correct. Some are more apt to challenge me than themselves.
As I’ve stated before I hope love is the uniter in it all. I know my arguments are just that: debates.
I thought I’d respond to what seemed interesting: Can U.S. Dominicans identify one another? I wondered if U.S. Dominicans could identify one another without hearing them speak. I know when I was in Dominican it was hard for me to identify other AA’s until I heard them speak.
The past is the past. So why keep bringing it up? I’m in favor of education. Anyone who says ignorance is better; well to each his own. How can you know where you are going unless you know where you’ve been? Those who don’t learn from mistakes or the past are doomed to repeat them. Cliches, but insightful.

So when I went to college in Iowa it was funny as hell to see the professors have dissertations on what they called the “dying of the white man.” I actually had to buy books that would say what I’m about to write. They used to say latino’s would outnumber all Whites in the year 2012. It was they way it was written, the semantics, the way the professors and class would respond was hysterical (much like many responses to my arguments on here).
They would say, it was happening so fast that America didn’t have time to stifle the growth (population, economic, etcetera). Day after day I’d hear this and I would have to learn how “Americans” would have to secure their country, their jobs, Social Securities, because the competition and outsourcing of Americans’ economic dollar would be detrimental to America. They went from saying this when I was a freshman to - in my senior year seeming to include Latino’s in America’s culture as long as “America” kept control over where they lived, what jobs, permits etcetera. Maybe one thing underlying it all is preservation. Maybe it is fear. Now in Atlanta and Chicago I see a lot. Being a latino in America is nothing different or new. I see which Latino’s get a pass and which do not. I see how the terms used by America as colored or white have worked against themselves. I have seen how America is including some colored people who ten years ago were considered nothing but colored but are now for the sake of numbers being included as white. I also see at work, listen and have honest conversations with White Americans who still do not see these coloreds as White. Who cares about America? I guess I do. I care about the Dominican Republic and any place I can learn of. I am sure Dominicans know the differences between themselves and Puerto Ricans, Cubans, and Mexicans. I am sure the word Latino in some way unites many Latino’s. I am sure if someone said to you as a Latino, “well you’re the same as an Argentinian or Costa Rican,” you might see the relation and see very well the difference. Is there a relation? Certain issues might appeal to many Latin Americans (outside of their country) as a culture and some things are country and region specific. Some similarities, many many more differences; not the exact same. The thing is, just imagine the similarities you see in another Latino who as far as you know was accepted and rejected by others as latino then saying we are not latino's when in your history books, marches, and so on you saw them right by your side convincing you they were latinos. This is very confusing for colored people and White people in America. The same as the situation I illustrated might be confusing for some of you.
I see many who simply who don’t care and I see many of all races who will fight to make sure certain oppressive circumstances and outright discriminations will never be so blatant again. However, I still see the pecking order and the ground root of the problem as continuing strong as ever. Y’all know there some sell-outs in every race, culture or whatever. We’ve all seen them. To go back to can you identify a Dominican in the U.S.? This next statement doesn’t appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture or race; Let me repeat: this next statement does not appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture and race White, Black, Asian; “some are trying to hide and some are trying to…….pass.” Equally, some are proud of who and what they are.
I really write a lot on here. Damn!!!! One love. Peace. Salud.

Last edited:

anwwilliams

Sep 29, 2007
This is just a quick edit to last two paragraphs.
The thing is, just imagine the similarities you see in another Latino who as far as you know was accepted and rejected by others as latino then saying we are not latino's when in your history books, marches, and so on you saw them right by your side convincing you they were latinos or in America colored.This is very confusing for colored people and White people in America. The same as the situation I illustrated might be confusing for some of you. Throughout all of America's history there was only one classification for Latino's and that was colored. We saw you and we heard you and many things today voiced are very different from yesterday. Okay, it is a new day. Voices are meant to be heard. Tomorrow it might be another. African, Colored, AA, Black, Negro, we went through many names.
There are a million ways to classify anyone (family, city, sex, religion). America's way does not seem to be yours.
I see many who simply who don’t care and I see many of all races who will fight to make sure certain oppressive circumstances and outright discriminations will never be so blatant again. However, I still see the pecking order and the ground root of the problem as continuing strong as ever. Y’all know there some sell-outs in every race, culture or whatever. We’ve all seen them. To go back to can you identify a Dominican in the U.S.? This next statement doesn’t appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture or race; Let me repeat: this next statement does not appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture and race White, Black, Asian; “some are trying to hide and some are trying to…….pass.” Equally, some are proud of who and what they are.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is just a quick edit to last two paragraphs.
The thing is, just imagine the similarities you see in another Latino who as far as you know was accepted and rejected by others as latino then saying we are not latino's when in your history books, marches, and so on you saw them right by your side convincing you they were latinos or in America colored.This is very confusing for colored people and White people in America. The same as the situation I illustrated might be confusing for some of you. Throughout all of America's history there was only one classification for Latino's and that was colored. We saw you and we heard you and many things today voiced are very different from yesterday. Okay, it is a new day. Voices are meant to be heard. Tomorrow it might be another. African, Colored, AA, Black, Negro, we went through many names.
There are a million ways to classify anyone (family, city, sex, religion). America's way does not seem to be yours.
I see many who simply who don?t care and I see many of all races who will fight to make sure certain oppressive circumstances and outright discriminations will never be so blatant again. However, I still see the pecking order and the ground root of the problem as continuing strong as ever. Y?all know there some sell-outs in every race, culture or whatever. We?ve all seen them. To go back to can you identify a Dominican in the U.S.? This next statement doesn?t appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture or race; Let me repeat: this next statement does not appeal to Dominicans but to some in every culture and race White, Black, Asian; ?some are trying to hide and some are trying to??.pass.? Equally, some are proud of who and what they are.

So all that babble to say what? That Dominicans are Dominicans, but they are sell outs unless they say they are Black. Have I got you mean correct.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
ay ay ay amwilliams. its not being "mixed" that matters. its what being that mixed has done for the dominican identity. its like talking to a brick wall with you when anyone tries to explain that AA and dominicans backgrounds are VERY different and thus we have very different views! We have african ancestors in common, yes, but theres a lot more we DO NOT have in common, obviously. Why you are so fixated on that one aspect is really the question. Do you have no interest in the full picture? I suppose your posts are a perfect example of the weirdness dominicans encounter in the u.s. when it comes to race.

Let me say it again in a different way: when eeevvvveeeeeryone in your country is jumbled racially because we've been mixing freely since forever, (UNLIKE AA's), racial categories become fuzzy and indistinct. You, as an american who was TAUGHT to see it and linger on it and stick to your own kind, only see "black".

You do not understand that we only use colors as descriptors and that they never have to do with race. Dominicans generally dont even think about what features are attributed to what race. We give them different names but we dont associate them w race because they are so easily interchangeable amongst us. Its too complicated to sit there wondering what all these ambiguous people are racially so NO ONE CARES or thinks about it! This isnt all due to "colonialism" (of course some of it is due to that but not EVERYTHING). Its a natural progression and the only reason you dont understand it is because our experiences and backgrounds are so different!

So yes, the fact that we are so mixed is a definitive factor in our peculiar self-idenitfication because its HUGE part of our particular experience. Duh. You say only 11% identify as black but if most of us are mulatto and identify as such are we not by that account acknowledging we are half black? is that not what a mulatto is? Why do we have to say "just black" to be alright with afrocentric AA's? oh. i know. because you have issues left over from the jim crow era and you think everyone who doesnt share those issues is the one with the problem! because you were taught being mixed is shameful or that acknowledging it is to consider yourself to be superior. It has nothing to do with dark or light. It simply is what it is. Its about looking at ALL of the aspects that form our experience and identity not just what you feel like looking at.

Ever stop to think that maybe we think its perfectly fine to be mulatto? That its ok for people to be whatever the heck they are? whether or not you or anyone else likes it?

Thats really all it boils down to.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
PopNYChick

I think your beating a dead horse! I agree with you 100%, but she never will, as she is too hung up on afrocentric! And if she spent much time in Iowa, I will guarantee you that she spent either lots of time with whites, or she stayed in Des Moines, Council Bluffs, or Cedar Rapids. Because other than those there are not large groups of AA's anywhere in the state except maybe at some of the colleges. And they are mainly football and basketball players

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
yep. and you never will because we are not cut and dry in any way shape or form. wow. varying views in one country! impossible. :tired:

thats the beauty of dominicanness. we are very fluid when it comes to many things. we like alot of things. so yes, all of this is completely true and easily verifiable even if it seems conflicting to your black and white mind.

as long as you keep trying to cram a square peg into an octagonal hole, things will seem like they dont fit.

DonnaLaDivina

Nov 30, 2009
Music is a part of culture. If Dominican culture teaches "white is right", how do you explain the popular Dominican music that celebrates morenas?