DR, A Collapsed State

Mar 1, 2009
We have an NGOcracy that is weakening the real democracy that most or at least a substantial portion of Domo's voted for. Too many foreigners that are difficult to deport because of constantly "changing perspectives" on the part of do-gooders that actually do no good for the real Dominican people. If these meddlesome candle holders actually used their resources where they were to really be focused we could solve some of the problems. The United Nations force in Haiti is one of these good for nothing do nothings. Cholera arrived because of them, the drug trade has increased after their presence on the island and they are useless, they do not provide any real stability and they don't even help with patroling the border. They are useless, reintegrate the Haitian armed forces and UN be gone, seeing the UN work is like licking my wallet, it does nothing for me. The UN is more of a failed entity, the DR in comparison is a utopia.
LC

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Have yet to be born the Dominican that will admit to be doing good or better, ever...

As Corripio and he will say he's broke...

Learn!

It's not about being broke, it's families struggling harder to get by each and every year. They are not telling me, it is apparent to anyone with eyes.

Keep living in your ivory tower.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
DRE, look up government entitlement programs, and you'll see SS, military pensions, medicare, VA bennies, etc., are all considered as "entitlements."

Here's Wikipedia's short article on entitlements. I'll admit Wiki isn't canon, but in this case, it does accurately summarize the meaning and context of an entitlement program in the U.S.

Regardless of what they are called s person pays for SS and a military pension. A VA disability pension they also paid for, with their body. CC was wounded in action- he earned his- he's entitled to it. I'd gladly relinquish my partial disability pension for two good shoulders.
The way your comment was worded it was obvious that you equated it to getting welfare and not being earned. Don't be such a knob.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
DRE, look up government entitlement programs, and you'll see SS, military pensions, medicare, VA bennies, etc., are all considered as "entitlements."

Here's Wikipedia's short article on entitlements. I'll admit Wiki isn't canon, but in this case, it does accurately summarize the meaning and context of an entitlement program in the U.S.
Anything an individual pays into directly or works directly to obtain isn't an entitlement it's an obligation.
Food stamps, section 8 housing, welfare, free phone programs, utilities assistance, the people who receive them get them because of their situation, not because they worked for them. Hence entitlement.
Just my opinion.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Actually words have meanings, many of them. Social security is something a person paid into and thus is entitled to. The word is misused when it is applied to food stamps and housing allowances. These people are not entitled to them. A new word should be invented for these nonentitled benefits.
Derfish, your correct! I see what you mean, and I can also see Drob's point of view after your reading your post.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Regardless of what they are called s person pays for SS and a military pension. A VA disability pension they also paid for, with their body. CC was wounded in action- he earned his- he's entitled to it. I'd gladly relinquish my partial disability pension for two good shoulders.
The way your comment was worded it was obvious that you equated it to getting welfare and not being earned. Don't be such a knob.

DRE,

My apologies, I forgot the link. Here it is. Entitlement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BS,

There you go again. I stand by what I said, they are entitlements in both an official and contextual sense. CC's disability payments are pursuant to a socialized government program than he qualifies for due to his service. His SS payments are pursuant to a socialized program he qualifies for due to his work history. Finally, his Medicare coverage (presuming he was living in the US) would be pursuant to a socialize program he would qualify for due to his age.

All of those programs are considered to be entitlements. There's no wordsmithing at play here, other than the political baggage you bring with you, BS. Your confusion is what happens when you pretend Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh actually know what they're talking about.

If I had meant food stamps, I would have said so.

Ignorance about socialized programs is, regrettably, most rampant. My favorite example continues to be:

001.jpg

[video=youtube;pJp-roulVsA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJp-roulVsA[/video]

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Cut Pichardo some slack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He doesn't live here with the rest of us.
He should be posting in the "Off Topic Forum",about the economy in Florida, not the DR!
But then he's not on THEIR payroll!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Cut Pichardo some slack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He doesn't live here with the rest of us.
He should be posting in the "Off Topic Forum",about the economy in Florida, not the DR!
But then he's not on THEIR payroll!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

i guess my suspicions are right. he must be a paid shill.

well, they do get their money?s worth from his pictures. they are good. they should demand a refund from him for his abortive attempts at dispensing information that has any usefulness to those with more than a 6th grade education.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Gorgon, he IS A Domlnican!!!!!!
As someone here once asked,........"What's Long & Hard for a Dominican"???????

"Third Grade"!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

His family is "PLD" FOREVER!!!!!
That's his reason!

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
I tend to agree with a lot of what Pichardo says. I am for sure closer to Pichardos views than the nay sayers on this board. The Dom.Rep is a country that is developping and moving forward. That is important.

Funny!

They say they KNOW how the economy of the DR is really doing, when facts point otherwise!

The DR overvaluing the peso???? LOL!!!! How stupid is that notion! If the DR even tried that, it would had bended on the all fours to a black market long ago, just like Cuba.

No gov can hide their real inflation on today's liberal and global markets. You just can't.

The only thing govs can do is manipulate their currency to undervalue it against the dollar or Euro for that fact.

That's the main reason why the DR gov can't dollarize the economy. The jig would be up in less than a month after that.

As for the DR as a collapsed state? LOL!!!

The DR is just in the baby steps of becoming a powerhouse economy in the whole Caribbean and Central America, save none.

The DR can sh*t gold, silver and other metals for the next 100 years with ease. Energy resources explorations have been less than 1% of the land/sea areas, with that to change in the coming years. The country is recognized as one of the world's leading sources of organic goods in the few years our markets have been geared towards that end, with a sh*t load to come after. We have just started to supply and crack into the Asian and to the eastern block of Europe. Heck we even started to ship to Oceania!

The public deficit is shrinking, education spending increasing, healthcare expenditures increasing onto the Universal Healthcare service, government corruption decreasing by introducing streamlined systems and fully journaled programs.

Large investments into mass transit systems, upgraded roads, ports, airports, schools, hospitals, power generating matrix, 911 system, etc...

An iron-clad immigration system for the first time since 1844, revised labor, criminal and civil laws, etc...

First time issue of corporate bonds and trading or papers with a next stop into stocks.

A robust national ID system.

You can bet your house the DR is going places in the coming years.

Keep this word in your mind: "Powerhouse"! Because you're bound to hear it a lot when The Dominican Republic is mentioned in any economic circle for the future...

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Do you believe the DR is on the gold standard? Do you believe that very soon, I believe the date he said is already past, that every one including the motoconchos and the putas will be accepting visa cards? Do you believe that when professionals work with statistics they throw away the bottom 20% and that is the meaning of quintelle? The guy is so silly no one would ever write a comic character that silly.
Der Fish

Now I have not noticed your posts but I just think there are some who only have negative things to say. I like some optimism. I think he is right about the Domincan Republic becoming an important regional economy.

Jan 9, 2004
Now I have not noticed your posts but I just think there are some who only have negative things to say. I like some optimism. I think he is right about the Domincan Republic becoming an important regional economy.

Apparently you have overlooked today's news;

DR is sixth in extreme poverty in Latin America

According to the World Bank, the DR is ranked sixth in extreme poverty among 17 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. A new World Bank book, "The Forgotten: Chronic Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean" says that transitory poverty in the country is 8.6%, double the regional average. Extreme poverty in the Dominican Republic is at 25.6%, only surpassed by the extreme poverty in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia and Ecuador. The regional average is 21.6%.

The study by Renos Vakis, Jamele Rigolini and Leonardo Lucchetti was released on Monday, 10 March 2015.

This extreme poverty rate is despite the 5.1% average GDP increase the country has experienced over the past 15 years, above the 3.9% regional average. The director of the UASD University's School of Economics says this is because the social model is one of exclusion. He says that social mobility is only 2% and practically 70% remain in the same state of poverty. He said that in countries like Costa Rica the social mobility rate is 40%. Left behind : chronic poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean - overview (English) | The World Bank

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/extern...d/PDF/947010WP0P15450ind0Overview0ENGLISH.pdf

RD es el sexto pa?s con mayor pobreza cr?nica de la regi?n

Crecimiento econ?mico RD no se refleja en la clase pobre -

Or the World Economic Forums rankings for the DR...OR

The Global Transparency Index for the DR...OR

The statistics listed by the Banco Central on the DR economy...OR

The fact that the DR AGAIN owes the power generators 3/4 of a billion in arrearages...OR

The fact that DR cannot pay for its imported oil....to even run that important regional economy you allude to.

Let me take a guess...you sell Real Estate..right.

Of course your optimistic...being a realist about the DR...is bad for business.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
You are a real estate agent.
So, I do not blame you for saying that. ;)

donP

We work mainly with commercial leases in the capital and not overpriced recidencial properties in tourism areas. Commercial space for rent I find a somewhat more transparent market to work with.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008

According to the World Bank, the DR is ranked sixth in extreme poverty among 17 countries in Latin America and the Caribbean. A new World Bank book, "The Forgotten: Chronic Poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean" says that transitory poverty in the country is 8.6%, double the regional average. Extreme poverty in the Dominican Republic is at 25.6%, only surpassed by the extreme poverty in Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Colombia and Ecuador. The regional average is 21.6%.

The study by Renos Vakis, Jamele Rigolini and Leonardo Lucchetti was released on Monday, 10 March 2015.

This extreme poverty rate is despite the 5.1% average GDP increase the country has experienced over the past 15 years, above the 3.9% regional average. The director of the UASD University's School of Economics says this is because the social model is one of exclusion. He says that social mobility is only 2% and practically 70% remain in the same state of poverty. He said that in countries like Costa Rica the social mobility rate is 40%. Left behind : chronic poverty in Latin America and the Caribbean - overview (English) | The World Bank

http://www-wds.worldbank.org/extern...d/PDF/947010WP0P15450ind0Overview0ENGLISH.pdf

The fact that the DR AGAIN owes the power generators 3/4 of a billion in arrearages...OR

The fact that DR cannot pay for its imported oil....to even run that important regional economy you allude to.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I am not strong in statistics and macro ecoomics like you. I just notice that our business is going very well with provinding serviced offices, virtual office serviceses and confenrence rooms and our brokarege business with commercial leases is going very well. We do mainly leases/rentals. But maybe it is just from hard work the last 10 years but I think it has to do with the economy and the market too. I can only speak for myself but the Dominican Republice is an open economy for business. Try and go to Cuba, Venezuela or Haiti. But living here I admit is hard. I myself come from a very different culture than here, different language, different religion, different climate actually different everything. One thing is living here another is doing business. For doing business you need a good local partner or good local key employees. Living here is different. If you dont get along with your family here then it is hard. It get can get very lonely but dont blame the country or the people or culture.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

You see what you want to see...

Reality shows that the poorest of the poor to walk the earth in our days are crossing over from Haiti to the DR just to get food to survive day to day. If you don't happen to understand that, then who knows what you see in those figures.

Haitians and their offsprings make up the largest chunk of extreme and regular poor in the DR.

We'll get back to these figures once we conservatively secure the border and are done with the immigration sweep at the national level. Then we're going to get the real figures for poverty in the DR as it should be, of Dominicans not Haitians.

Jan 9, 2004
I am not strong in statistics and macro ecoomics like you. I just notice that our business is going very well with provinding serviced offices, virtual office serviceses and confenrence rooms and our brokarege business with commercial leases is going very well. We do mainly leases/rentals. But maybe it is just from hard work the last 10 years but I think it has to do with the economy and the market too. I can only speak for myself but the Dominican Republice is an open economy for business. Try and go to Cuba, Venezuela or Haiti. But living here I admit is hard. I myself come from a very different culture than here, different language, different religion, different climate actually different everything. One thing is living here another is doing business. For doing business you need a good local partner or good local key employees. Living here is different. If you dont get along with your family here then it is hard. It get can get very lonely but dont blame the country or the people or culture.

....And there are pockets of prosperity everywhere.....even in Cuba, Venezuela or Haiti.

You are correct, I, like the agencies quoted above, look at the macroeconomic level i.e., the big picture, not just the view from a Naco or Piantini torre.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2