DR hand shaking etiquette

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I prefer "fist bumps" with those I know...I've reduced the number of hands I shake as it seems like everyone has el gripe lately.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have found most ladies I meet are open to a bump, after a proper introduction to the family of course. This seems to be traditional to meet the mama, tia, sisters, pay for a few frias. I rarely give a handshake since I am yet to meet a male member of any household.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Adapting to local customs is one thing. Looking for quick and easy answers to complex social situations is quite another.

I hope you find the answer you are looking for, but as I said, "good luck with that."
Where I live it's not that complex. I live in a predominately Dominican environment. Few tourists visit and few expats live here as compared to other areas.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It doesn't matter whether you are a visitor, someone doing business there, or a resident in that respective country, the same general rule applies : you are still a foreigner and it only shows respect to the inhabitants of the respective country to follow their rules of politiness...

So if you are in Vietnam and people bow to each other in greeting, it is only normal as a foreigner that you adapt to this custom. If you do not, you will only be considered as inpolite, and rightly so.
Hence my question about the hand shaking...and personally I feel and have experienced that no mather what nationality you are, or what reservations you might have because of your upbringing, it is only wise and polite to adapt to the local customs.

In Thailand the custom is to 'wai' accompanied with a bow. Variations are very subtle and most foreigners totally screw it up.

The attempt however is taken as a sign of respect and is generally appreciated.

To live in a place and make no concessions to local customs is arrogant.

I have a friend who was a US military liaison with the Thai government. When Lyndon Johnson visited Thailand during the Vietnam War he was briefed before his meeting with the King of Thailand and was told if he pointed his feet at the king (or any Thai for that matter) it would be a great insult.

During the meeting which was held without a table with two chairs facing each other Johnson stretched back as he unloaded his folksy Texas wisdom on the king, who speaks fluent English, and stretched out his feet directly at him.

When my friend told me about this I said "Didn't he understand the briefing?"

My friend (who participated in the briefing) said "Oh, he understood all right. He just didn't give a shyt."

Mar 2, 2008
Let's see, 45 posts, and already playing the doorman. Good for you.

Hey no problem. Glad to oblige, but you might want to consider being a tad more flexible in the future. You seem to be rather the rigid sort, and that type of attitude is not particularly conducive to eliciting a variety of ideas.

Again, good luck in your quest. Is a handshake in order at this juncture?

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I was planning on answering this one... but with only around 90 posts, and 25 years of traveling around the world...

Let's shake hands... or should we kiss...;)

Let's see, 45 posts, and already playing the doorman. Good for you.

Hey no problem. Glad to oblige, but you might want to consider being a tad more flexible in the future. You seem to be rather the rigid sort, and that type of attitude is not particularly conducive to eliciting a variety of ideas.

Again, good luck in your quest. Is a handshake in order at this juncture?

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Between business-men: firm hand shake
Between business-women: a kiss in the cheek (just touch each other cheeks, and blow the kiss away).
Between a business-man and a business-woman: a soft handshake, like if the man is helping the lady to stand up from a chair. Later when more confident, a kiss in the cheek.
Between male pals: A fist bump with the following greetings words: Dime a ve'.
Between inter genre pals: a hug and a kiss............and maybe something else;)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
In Thailand the custom is to 'wai' accompanied with a bow. Variations are very subtle and most foreigners totally screw it up.

The attempt however is taken as a sign of respect and is generally appreciated.

To live in a place and make no concessions to local customs is arrogant.

I have a friend who was a US military liaison with the Thai government. When Lyndon Johnson visited Thailand during the Vietnam War he was briefed before his meeting with the King of Thailand and was told if he pointed his feet at the king (or any Thai for that matter) it would be a great insult.

During the meeting which was held without a table with two chairs facing each other Johnson stretched back as he unloaded his folksy Texas wisdom on the king, who speaks fluent English, and stretched out his feet directly at him.

When my friend told me about this I said "Didn't he understand the briefing?"

My friend (who participated in the briefing) said "Oh, he understood all right. He just didn't give a shyt."

The wai in Vietnam or Thailand is indeed very complicated, going from putting your hands together in front of you and going up with those hands higher and higher with a little bow or a deeper bow when a more respectfull person or older person is in front of you...not easy but like you said, the attempt is alway's deeply appreciated.
Lets not talk about the enormous varitiy of bowing in Japan then poew...:cheeky:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
you lost me here... Emily Post etiquette???

Please enlighten this dumb Belgian....

I'm sure you meant well, but as I said you lost me...