DR living compared to Central America

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Have been to Costa Rica, Panama, and Columbia of many SA nations visited. The area in PJT's opinion best suited for a visit to explore living is Medellin, Columbia. It is the city of eternal spring. A large city in a valley with many amenities that make life comfortable. It has a population of about 3 million, but don't let that scare you. It has excellent transportation services, entertainment, cultural arts, services of all types, and good restaurants. The drawback for some walkers may be the climbing and descending the hillsides.

Costa Rica: still growing, lacks good infrastructure and amenities. Weather is the pits during rainy season, hot and humid most of the time.

Panama: is making it, economy good, best locations are near Panama City. Panama weather same as CR.

Regards,

PJT

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Also, consider Punta Cana/Bavaro. Huge English-speaking community, very scenic. Not a whole lot going on culturally, but you're two hours away from Santo Domingo, and there's also two international airports nearby with plenty of flights to NA and EU.

Good luck.

Not an expert but thinking PC/Bavaro area will grow pretty quickly with foreigners. With as much traffic that is coming through the airport there it seems logical that the residential commercial development will grow quickly.
A secondary ex pat community.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Go with Nicaragua. The people are much more genuine, honest, and good natured. The Spanish is infinitely easier to understand. Money goes farther, and it's much,much safer. Corruption is far less. Civil police force. There is optimism in the air. And, there are expats, but you'll need to seek them out.

And, don't do the gated community thing. Be part of the community

I understand there is a decent expat community in Granada, and I was very taken with that city and the area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Thank you all so much for your input. I'm still considering on what I can live with and without in the long term, as far as amenities. I live a pretty simple life and like it that way.

My main issue with Cabarete was the noise, and of course my experience with the resort worker culture tainted my experience.

Some really good ideas that I hadn't considered have come up and I will check those out too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015

jackfi

Mar 31, 2013
I can only say that after living 3 years in DR, I'm leaving and heading to Central America later this year. Simply just can't take this Dominican "culture", but we are all different and one thing suites for some and for some not.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I can only say that after living 3 years in DR, I'm leaving and heading to Central America later this year. Simply just can't take this Dominican "culture", but we are all different and one thing suites for some and for some not.
If you don't mind being asked,which country did you choose?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also, consider Punta Cana/Bavaro. Huge English-speaking community, very scenic. Not a whole lot going on culturally, but you're two hours away from Santo Domingo, and there's also two international airports nearby with plenty of flights to NA and EU.

Good luck.

Punta Cana is very scenic? It must have changed since I visited there. It reminded me of Florida. Did mountains and rivers sprout up recently?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The drawback for some walkers may be the climbing and descending the hillsides.

All depends on what part of the city you live in. e.g. Laureles = flat

Yes I agree, Medellin has excellent infrastructure, cultural and food options, plus some of the best medical clinics in LA. Plus the cost of living is low compared to many other LA countries.

I spend about 2 months a year total in Medellin. Right now in Pereira for a week :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All depends on what part of the city you live in. e.g. Laureles = flat

Yes I agree, Medellin has excellent infrastructure, cultural and food options, plus some of the best medical clinics in LA. Plus the cost of living is low compared to many other LA countries.

I spend about 2 months a year total in Medellin. Right now in Pereira for a week :)

Medellin is a city I quite like, and I would to explore more of Colombia. My wife went to University in Cartagena but found it too hot and humid. Certainly a big country with lots of history and interesting places to visit.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Medellin is a city I quite like, and I would to explore more of Colombia. My wife went to University in Cartagena but found it too hot and humid. Certainly a big country with lots of history and interesting places to visit.

You'd enjoy life in Medellin. Excellent infrastructure, very low cost of living for a big city, and tons of culture and outdoorsy things to do in the Arvi and Antioquia national park areas. The weather would remind you of the Cibao on a nice spring day. Very nice people, and super easy access to NA from the airport.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You'd enjoy life in Medellin. Excellent infrastructure, very low cost of living for a big city, and tons of culture and outdoorsy things to do in the Arvi and Antioquia national park areas. The weather would remind you of the Cibao on a nice spring day. Very nice people, and super easy access to NA from the airport.

I have spent time in both Medellin and Bogota. Many years ago I was in Santa Marta. I like every place I've been to in South America. Super friendly people and very polite as well.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Thank you lisainmich for starting this thread. I've recently retired and plan on leaving the U.S.(permanently) within the next 6 months to travel for a year before deciding on where to settle. Nicaragua, Costa Rica and the DR are the three countries at the top of my relocation list. I plan to spend at least 5 months out of the year in the DR and the rest where ever suits me and my hobbies. Good luck with your search.

Last edited: