DR living compared to Central America

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Where is the "U" in Colombia???

Well, I am from British Columbia and the Columbia river is a famous American river in the west of the country so it is a common enough error for north americans to make. Those that have never been to Colombia and only have visions of leftist guerrillas would be amazed at the country. Medellin has a metro system that works extremly well and is cheap. Shopping is incredible and you can buy a decent steak in numerous places if beef is a big deal to you.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Well, I am from British Columbia and the Columbia river is a famous American river in the west of the country so it is a common enough error for north americans to make. Those that have never been to Colombia and only have visions of leftist guerrillas would be amazed at the country. Medellin has a metro system that works extremly well and is cheap. Shopping is incredible and you can buy a decent steak in numerous places if beef is a big deal to you.

Last fall I ran into a guy I went to school with years ago. He is RCMP and has been working out of the Canadian Consulate in Medellin on a joint Canada-Colombia drug enforcement team for a few years. He gave me a real education on living in Colombia. It's more or less confirms what your saying. Colombia has made major changes and is not the cartel infested crime ridden country it once was. Certainly not to the extent that Mexico is. Citizenship is easy to obtain compared to the DR, and  housing is less expensive, as is the cost of living. Petty crime is still a concern as it is everywhere. He's fluent in Español, is in the process of setting up permanent residence and is marrying a Colombian lady. He is close to retirement and doesn't want to return to Canada.