DR Motoconchos should be replaced by electric/solar bicycles

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
To take trucks and motos off the road is to cripple a fragile economy.

To "phase" out the two-strokes is possibly doable.

To require stock exhaust systems is dosble but an enforcement problem and it's implementation would be spotty and ineffective.

Bicycles are not a big deal here because it's too hilly. There just aren't too many flat roads.

Popon, you have a good heart but don't understand economic fundamentals. In a country where family income may be $300 a month, a price jump of motos and 3% per month interest is to take away their mobility and possibly their income.

You can't judge a developing economy through First World eyes.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
All these 2 strokes are built with mufflers.
The noise pollution is a cultural thing - they choose to make their conchos loud.
Correct me if I am wrong Cobraboy.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
All these 2 strokes are built with mufflers.
The noise pollution is a cultural thing - they choose to make their conchos loud.
Correct me if I am wrong Cobraboy.
Yup.

18 y.o.'s here are like anywhere: "Hey, pay attention! I make loud noise!"

One of the very first thing kids here do is drill out their mufflers on their bikes to make them louder. It's like kids who put loud can mufflers on their tiny Civics and go screaming around at 5000rpm.

Funny thing, though: drilling out a muffler or putting a straight pipe on a bike, like the loud cans on a Civic, while sounding powerful, actually ~decreases~ horsepower and torque, especially torque, except at very high rpm's. So their efforts are counter productive. Backpressure is important for proper exhaust scavegening effect.

Funny! But no way will kids believe you...:cheeky:

OK, true confession: me and my pals used to attach playing cards into the rotating wheel spoke area with clothes pins to the fender frames of our bicycles to sound like a motorcycle. I just KNEW I was more powerful, even beyond the powerful 1CBP "engine."

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The old Playing Card trick..... works like a dream.... vroom, vroom

Remember to change them every day or so when they lose their strength:glasses:

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The old Playing Card trick..... works like a dream.... vroom, vroom

Remember to change them every day or so when they lose their strength:glasses:

WW
I thought my young life was coming to an end with the advent of <!gasp!> plastic playing cards...they wouldn't stay under the clothespins...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I see there are new ones now..... pre-fab pieces of plastic that chatter on the spokes.
One of the boys in the beach town I'm in now on Lake Huron has them.... you can hear him coming.

Maybe I'll get one for my bike
Want me to pick one up for you , little boy??:eek:

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I see there are new ones now..... pre-fab pieces of plastic that chatter on the spokes.
One of the boys in the beach town I'm in now on Lake Huron has them.... you can hear him coming.

Maybe I'll get one for my bike
Want me to pick one up for you , little boy??:eek:

WW
:D

If'n I had a bicycle, you bet!

But I have real Big Boy vrooom vrooom motorcycles...;)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember , I talked to you after I shipped my container and i did not bring my Honda 250 scooter..... could have sold it here for a fortune.

Suzuki 400cc at home in Philadelphia. Fast enough for me:surprised

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Remember , I talked to you after I shipped my container and i did not bring my Honda 250 scooter..... could have sold it here for a fortune.

Suzuki 400cc at home in Philadelphia. Fast enough for me:surprised

WW
I'D have bought the 250 scooter...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Why don't we see more 250 type scooters?
Is there a different law for over a designated sized motor?

Is importing them a crazy idea?

WW

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Why don't we see more 250 type scooters?
Is there a different law for over a designated sized motor?

Is importing them a crazy idea?

WW
You can special order them.

There is little market for them. Expensive. Heck, some of the nicer 150cc-ers are RD$80-95,000!!!!

I did some shopping around for one recently.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You can special order them.

There is little market for them. Expensive. Heck, some of the nicer 150cc-ers are RD$80-95,000!!!!

I did some shopping around for one recently.

Need to hook up with a new residency person who has a container coming in.... altho, if its like the cars.... you cant sell for 3 years

WW

P

poponlaburra

To take trucks and motos off the road is to cripple a fragile economy.

To "phase" out the two-strokes is possibly doable.

To require stock exhaust systems is dosble but an enforcement problem and it's implementation would be spotty and ineffective.

Bicycles are not a big deal here because it's too hilly. There just aren't too many flat roads.

Popon, you have a good heart but don't understand economic fundamentals. In a country where family income may be $300 a month, a price jump of motos and 3% per month interest is to take away their mobility and possibly their income.

You can't judge a developing economy through First World eyes.

cobraboy, thanks. I grew up in DR, El Cibao and know their mode of thinking, "Monkey see, Monkey do" attitude.

Pedicabs are becoming so popular in big cities large sightseeing areas. Having a route for them would be great!
Santo Domingo and most part of the South East is very flat, so they could finely work in these areas.

Do you think some of those young street kids wouldn?t work the Pedicabs instead of panhandling in the streets?

Central Park Bike Rentals, Bicycle Tours, bicyclerentalcentralpark.com

P

poponlaburra

Not too long ago I took a tour in one of this pedicabs, and was amazed. The driver he rents it from a company on a daily basis for he can not afford to buy one of these babes, these bikes cost approximately 20 k at the end of the day he pays the company whatever amount established.

Pedicabs get an electric charge

Move over gas taxis, motor makes pedaling easier

Velotaxi
A Velocab made by the German company Velotaxi is seen here in Berlin.

KYOTO, Japan — The Velotaxi, a modern version of the pedicab and manufactured by a German company, is attracting customers in the ancient Japanese capital of Kyoto, especially among older people who remember the original pedicabs.
"You can enjoy the scenery at your leisure, with a sense of liveliness," said Aoba Fukada, a Velotaxi driver.
And with an electric motor, it can easily climb up a sloping road with two passengers in the back seat.
The streamlined, three-wheeled bicycle — about nine feet long and five feet tall — is used in some 15 European countries and was introduced to Kyoto in 2002.
Spreading in Japan
Since then, 60 taxis have been operated in six other Japanese cities, including Tokyo, Osaka and Naha. They might also be used at the World Expo to be held in Aichi Prefecture next spring.
Already, more than 20,000 people have taken Velotaxi rides in Kyoto.
"With no gas emissions, it is environmentally friendly," said Noriyuki Morita, a representative of the Ecological Cities Promoting Association, the Japanese agent for the company Velotaxi GmbH. Moreover, he said, "in an era like this, people recognize the significance of slow driving."
Pedicabs are also used in many parts of Asia and India, where pollution problems could be eased if electric pedicabs provide an alternative to gasoline or diesel powered vehicles.
In Europe, more than 10 companies have been established in Germany and Britain since the 1990s to manufacture or operate motor-assisted pedicabs.
From pub crawls to vacation use
Guido Struss, whose company Velotaxi has produced 280 Velocabs in Straubenhardt, Germany, for export to other European countries, said his company has been making them since 1993, with a design based on the Indian pedicabs.
In London, there are about 60 Velocabs, which are mostly used by people going to theaters or movies, or even by those on pub crawls.
Struss said the electric motor on each Velocab rids passengers of the uncomfortable feeling that their driver is being forced to do hard labor.
He said his company will next produce Velocabs for vacation use and export them to the small Caribbean island nation of Barbados.

Pedicabs get an electric charge - U.S. news - Environment - Green Machines - msnbc.com

May 29, 2006
I just saw a bunch of pedicabs in DC. In four blocks walking, I saw maybe five of them. Interesting concept and the people riding them seemed to be having a good time. They work great on level ground, but can they handle hills on a charge?

What were they charging for the pedicabs you saw?

P

poponlaburra

I just saw a bunch of pedicabs in DC. In four blocks walking, I saw maybe five of them. Interesting concept and the people riding them seemed to be having a good time. They work great on level ground, but can they handle hills on a charge?

What were they charging for the pedicabs you saw?

It is a fun ride!

These German bikes are very powerful, we were five, two adults and three kids, my oldest kid weights about 105 lbs. so in average we the passenger weighted approximately 500 lbs! The ride cost us about $15. in the city where I live. But Washington and NYC are more expensive.

This past month I took the kids to NY and took a pedicab in Central Park. It costs
1 hr $70, 1/2 hr $35 and then a ride to an specific place around Central Park between $10 and $15.
It's just so much fun. The drivers were mostly college students and international students.

These pedicabs will work nicely in DR.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I was reading this article and wonder how well these solar/electric bicycles would work for the Dominican population. .

Read the first line and didn't even bother going further so if I'm off mark then I'm sure someone will alert me to this. The Motos run for so long because the lads know how to use them, fix them, adjust them.
Try to teach a none educated Dominican how to learn something slightly technical, or beyond the bounds of math 'plus and minus' and it won't work.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
pedicabs are equal to and more of a pain than the vendors on boca chica beach. they take money away from taxis that are struggling anyway, are a rolling roadblock in traffic. of course tourists love them and the drivers oh so helpful, they work for tips, duh. but, having been a taxi driver in key west for ten years in the 90's i can say that they did more harm than good. they charge roughly a dollar a minute and are polite to everyone except traffic. the only one that benefits is the guy that has the license to own ten of the things, he's laughing all the way to his ecological bank. this is not about being "green", it's about what other way can i make some money off of tourists.

P

poponlaburra

Read the first line and didn't even bother going further so if I'm off mark then I'm sure someone will alert me to this. The Motos run for so long because the lads know how to use them, fix them, adjust them.
Try to teach a none educated Dominican how to learn something slightly technical, or beyond the bounds of math 'plus and minus' and it won't work.

?!? And fixing a motocycle is not technical? make it profitable $$$$ and the lads will invent the whole system.

P

poponlaburra

pedicabs are equal to and more of a pain than the vendors on boca chica beach. they take money away from taxis that are struggling anyway, are a rolling roadblock in traffic. of course tourists love them and the drivers oh so helpful, they work for tips, duh. but, having been a taxi driver in key west for ten years in the 90's i can say that they did more harm than good. they charge roughly a dollar a minute and are polite to everyone except traffic. the only one that benefits is the guy that has the license to own ten of the things, he's laughing all the way to his ecological bank. this is not about being "green", it's about what other way can i make some money off of tourists.

There is nothing wrong to expect to get paid for a service you provided, and it seems the customers were satisfied.
I wonder, and please elaborate, how the pedicab harmed the system?