DR Motoconchos should be replaced by electric/solar bicycles

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
?!? And fixing a motocycle is not technical? make it profitable $$$$ and the lads will invent the whole system.
It's clear you don't understand the moto culture here.

Almost every male child here is born with the ability to keep any moto running indefinitely. Look around. You almost never see or hear of a moto being abandoned. Somebody, somewhere will fix it and be on the road.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is nothing wrong to expect to get paid for a service you provided, and it seems the customers were satisfied.
I wonder, and please elaborate, how the pedicab harmed the system?
Further clogs a clogged system.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There is nothing wrong to expect to get paid for a service you provided, and it seems the customers were satisfied.
I wonder, and please elaborate, how the pedicab harmed the system?
No doubt they're cute, they're hip, they're eco-greeny-friendly, and tourists would enjoy them.

But motos exist for rapid transportation, not for sightseeing.

The horse carriages around the Monument in Santiago are cute, too, but they are a traffic hazard in the area.

P

poponlaburra

It's clear you don't understand the moto culture here.

Almost every male child here is born with the ability to keep any moto running indefinitely. Look around. You almost never see or hear of a moto being abandoned. Somebody, somewhere will fix it and be on the road.

Because I understand it so well is why I stand on the belief that as the motoconchistas evolved to easily learn to fix a regular motorcycle, they can will evolve to fix the more complex solar/electric of pedicab bikes. It only would be a matter of assimilation and time.
Expose and give them the options, then they'll decide the outcome.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Because I understand it so well is why I stand on the belief that as the motoconchistas evolved to easily learn to fix a regular motorcycle, they can will evolve to fix the more complex solar/electric of pedicab bikes. It only would be a matter of assimilation and time.
Expose and give them the options, then they'll decide the outcome.
If you can get electric motos for under RD$40,000, that can get 70 miles on an RD$75 charge, and cruise at 80kmh, well, maybe.

I don't think it's possible to get one here for under RD$120,000.

It has nothing to do with learning mechanics. It's pure cost.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
P

poponlaburra

Do you honestly think motos and cars won't be using those lanes?

Do you see how well serious auto infractions are (not) dealt with?

In the past, Balaguer helped finance propane gas so the population stop using wood charcoal for cooking , a tremendous success (until now where the Haitians influx are bringing this bad tree cutting for charcoal practice back to DR).

The government could eventually move toward this greener direction thru a pilot program, not in totality, but gradually and in specific locations.

Well, some drivers still ignore teh redlights, is that enough reason to not put the required traffic lights?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
The transportation department already announced plans to add bicycles lanes in the capital. So that is a great beginning. The pedicabs shall use these lanes not hte motoconchos.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/ec...t-seeks-to-establish-pedestrian-bicycle-lanes

Interesting concept, will they be reserved the same as the OMSA only lanes(laugh now)? No the motoconchos use the sidewalk.

sorry not much faith in this working. You did notice in the reading that they mentioned countries that enforce the stated traffic laws, you know unlike here.

jeje
Well, some drivers still ignore teh redlights, is that enough reason to not put the required traffic lights.
No but if your going to spend the money to buy them and put them up, it would be nice to supply electricty to them so the would work.

P

poponlaburra

Interesting concept, will they be reserved the same as the OMSA only lanes(laugh now)? No the motoconchos use the sidewalk.

sorry not much faith in this working. You did notice in the reading that they mentioned countries that enforce the stated traffic laws, you know unlike here.

jeje
Well, some drivers still ignore teh redlights, is that enough reason to not put the required traffic lights.
No but if your going to spend the money to buy them and put them up, it would be nice to supply electricty to them so the would work.

"It would be nice to supply electricity to them so the would work" ideally, yes. But it's not just about the lack of electricity, it's about re-structurizing the transportation system, that including force traffic schools for everyone with a license or car, so when the electricity fail people should know that a powerless traffic light means the regular stop signs regulations shall be followed. I live in a area that getting the USA that gets lots of blackouts due to storms, everyone knows that when the power goes off and we are at an intersection with fail electricity lights, the regular 4 ways stop sings must be followed.
So part of the transportation envelop, room should be made for other types of cleaner methods and the people to choose their options.

Not everyone in DR break the traffic laws and those that abide by the laws should be given the consideration they deserve for they do not want to remain in the ice age.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So part of the transportation envelop, room should be made for other types of cleaner methods and the people to choose their options.
They ARE choosing their options. They cannot afford the green electric ones.

poponlaburra said:
Not everyone in DR break the traffic laws and those that abide by the laws should be given the consideration they deserve for they do not want to remain in the ice age.
True. Maybe 20% or less strictly abide by all the traffic laws.

We should call them "organ donors."

I'd rather survive within this highly evolved driving culture than risk my neck being a good, law abiding driver. The two aren't necessarily compatible.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
"It would be nice to supply electricity to them so the would work" ideally, yes. But it's not just about the lack of electricity, it's about re-structurizing the transportation system, that including force traffic schools for everyone with a license or car, so when the electricity fail people should know that a powerless traffic light means the regular stop signs regulations shall be followed. I live in a area that getting the USA that gets lots of blackouts due to storms, everyone knows that when the power goes off and we are at an intersection with fail electricity lights, the regular 4 ways stop sings must be followed.

Not sure where to start here, got to get the coke out of my nose first.

4 way stops, you have got to be joking!!!! They can't handle normal stop signs. You alway have to either look BOTH whys on a one way, and then beep and flash your lights that your coming through.

Even if the light is working if they think there is enough time to get across before the car coming can get there, they go anyway. Especially true for MOTO's

When I took my drivers test, (which we do have so that should have taken care of your traffic school). The best answer on the test was what you have never seen done in the street.

Now I can agree that AMET needs to attend traffic school that way they might have an idea as to what the traffic laws are.

Nothing will change as far as driving until the laws are enforced!

The percentage believe someone said 20% follow the law. I would guess much lower than that. An yes in alot of cases they would become organ donors

You do realize that 98% of the traffic laws here mirror the USA don't you.

Last edited:
P

poponlaburra

jeje

If we are going to assume your pessimistic and fatalistic approach, where will we end up? Progress is collective once one take the initiative which is within the 20 % abiding population.

P

poponlaburra

They ARE choosing their options. They cannot afford the green electric ones.

True. Maybe 20% or less strictly abide by all the traffic laws.

We should call them "organ donors."

I'd rather survive within this highly evolved driving culture than risk my neck being a good, law abiding driver. The two aren't necessarily compatible.

Not everyone is choosing their option but what is ready and available for them.
They have not been introduced to this advancement yet. Yes, 20 % or more respectable and honorable humble people like the ones I know and like myself when I visit home. One have to set the example at one point or another, I just have so much hope for my people, and I know they can do better than that!

P

poponlaburra

Why don't we do it like the rest of the world and use busses.

I really don not know where did we go wrong:eek::confused::hurt:!

During the late 70's and early 80's we had great bus services at least in Santiago that I could remember, we had the options of taking the busses or el concho, don't quite remember how come the busess "Transporte Collectivo" disappeared. They were great! Too young to understand.

P

poponlaburra

Not sure where to start here, got to get the coke out of my nose first.

4 way stops, you have got to be joking!!!! They can't handle normal stop signs. You alway have to either look BOTH whys on a one way, and then beep and flash your lights that your coming through.

Even if the light is working if they think there is enough time to get across before the car coming can get there, they go anyway. Especially true for MOTO's

When I took my drivers test, (which we do have so that should have taken care of your traffic school). The best answer on the test was what you have never seen done in the street.

Now I can agree that AMET needs to attend traffic school that way they might have an idea as to what the traffic laws are.

Nothing will change as far as driving until the laws are enforced!

The percentage believe someone said 20% follow the law. I would guess much lower than that. An yes in alot of cases they would become organ donors

You do realize that 98% of the traffic laws here mirror the USA don't Yesyou.

Well, you can always teach a trick to an old dog, as lon as the trainer is willing and knowledgeable.
Again, everything is doable, we are not neanderthals.
Yes, traffic laws must be seriously implemented. And we will.
Actually, I was driving in the Cibao back in May, and believe me if you can Drive in dr YOU CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE, and I am as always amazed there is not that many accidents as could under these conditions, so, the loud horn honking are preventive after all:cheeky:

Last edited:

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Well, you can always teach a trick to an old dog, as lon as the trainer is willing and knowledgeable.
Again, everything is doable, we are not neanderthals.
Yes, traffic laws must be seriously implemented. And we will.
Actually, I was driving in the Cibao back in May, and believe me if you can Drive in dr YOU CAN DRIVE ANYWHERE, and I am as always amazed there is not that many accidents as could under these conditions, so, the loud horn honking are preventive after all:cheeky:

YOU can only teach the old dog if he wants to learn. At this point I have seen no inclination from the driving public in the DR that they want to learn. So you can teach all you want, but your hitting a deaf ear.

As examples When AMET or PN, or POLITUR are parked underneath the sign that says no parking on this side, evita el grua. An you ask about it, and they tell you its ok its police and they can park there. Or they have no helmet, or they are riding on the sidewalk you will never be able to enforce the law. Until the police have respect for the law that they are charged with enforcing, nothing will change.

P

poponlaburra

Bring Enrique Pe?alosa, former mayor of Bogota as an advisor to the DR goverment.

YOU can only teach the old dog if he wants to learn. At this point I have seen no inclination from the driving public in the DR that they want to learn. So you can teach all you want, but your hitting a deaf ear.

As examples When AMET or PN, or POLITUR are parked underneath the sign that says no parking on this side, evita el grua. An you ask about it, and they tell you its ok its police and they can park there. Or they have no helmet, or they are riding on the sidewalk you will never be able to enforce the law. Until the police have respect for the law that they are charged with enforcing, nothing will change.

I think you are underestimating us even though and of course our poor and even more- poorer that our poor coming by the minute into DR consist of that what you call the none-teachable group, you are still underestimating part of our population that don't want and dislike to stay behind civilization development, and that you could see in other areas of our country.

Now I think we should bring to DR Enrique Pe?alosa, former mayor of Bogota as an advisor to the DR government. This guy did an incredible job in Bogota, Colombia, YES INCREDIBLE JOB in only 3 years as a mayor! Take a look at the video interview, amazing! The guy is a genius (I don?t agree with his plan for NY though).

Bogota Shows How to Reinvent Cities
by Lloyd Alter, Toronto on 08. 2.07

A protected bicycle path is a symbol that a citizen on a $30 bicycle is equally important as one in a $30,000 car.

That is the money shot from Enrique Pe?alosa, former mayor of Bogota. Robert Oullette of Reading Toronto notes:
The former mayor of Bogota, Colombia explains how the once crime-ridden city is now a model for effective transit and urban design. How'd they do it? City planners recognized that the great battle over public space in cities is between two main forces: the needs of people and the needs of cars. In Bogota people are winning that fight."
Watch the video and read the rest in ::Reading Toronto

An image of Bogota's protected bicycle lanes.
Robert Oullette on Europe versus Toronto (and most American cities)
My recent trip to Sweden, Denmark, France, and England revealed how much European cities are doing to promote efficient transit policies. In Gothenberg and in Copenhagen, for example, road designers seem to pay as much attention to building cycle roadways as they do building roads for cars. They are integrated and to some degree symbiotic. These are northern cities remember, they get snow just like Toronto does, yet people there cycle all year round. Still, we expect first-world, high-tech countries to embrace urban design best practices. However, when a problem plagued city like Bogota - I visited and worked there in the mid-eighties - can reinvent itself in less than fifteen years we have to ask why Toronto continues to lag so far behind.

Bogota Shows How to Reinvent Cities : TreeHugger

So to all of you who thought that this innovative mode of transportation would be bad or impossible for DR, this is the proof that is doable ;) and beautifully executed by a Latin American country!

Last edited: