DR standard of living

Jimmy Stewart

Jan 12, 2002
Hey Mondongo!

This is Jan not Jimmy that was talking....I'm using Jimmys computer cause mine is down. So thanks buddy!!!

CES

Jan 1, 2002
"Field of Dreams" yes or no?

Good points, doing a new business start up in US is tough, so many hurtles to over come and acquiring the capital that's demanded for a break even position makes for a difficult challenge. I'm
sure that we all agree that a new business start up in the DR is no "Field of Dreams" either. Actually I feel that a proper business plan supported by talent and capital has better than break even chance of success in the rough and tumble atmosphere inherent in the DR as compared to the USA. Talent and capital are mutual requirements for any entrepreneurial venture regardless of the location.

In my previous post I lamented over the DR government's single most obvious fault, ingrained corruption. For a business to be successful how should the owner deal with governmental harassment? Simply factor it in as a cost of doing business? Go along to get along? I would guess that each situation has variables and they require different approaches to over come or live with the problem/s encountered.

As for my self, we'll (Mrs. CES) be visiting the DR some time this year and tentatively looking for business opportunities, also I have a plan that I'll be "pitching". The "idea" is scalable and easy to replicate so startup costs can be relatively modest (10s to 100s of Ks).

So guys, (and ladies) I'll keep you informed. . .

regards,

CES"

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In point #4 of Mondongo's opening post, he mentiones the problems of being able to play with the Constitution.

Just this week, the brilliant leadership of Hippito's government decided that they didn't like the Camara de Cuentas.
Article 80 of the Constitution says that the judges of the Camara de Cuentas are named for four year terms.

How did they get rid of them? They gave them huge pensions that will have to be paid by the following governments and Amen, off they went, unconstitutionally, into the sunset. but SET for life.

And they had the balls to put all of this in the papers!...

I might be especially negative this morning but this is really going past even Jorge Blanco's type of corruption.... anyone remember when he let Cuervo Gomez give all the Army officials of 'Mayor' ( Major) or above, a brand new car?????

We just had, what was that PIB?? Like 59.9 Million US DOLLARS for the armed forces and no pay raises for the teachers>????

AS Bart would say: "WTF??"

A very pissed, HB

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Cars you say????

I would have been better that way......They all got JEEPETA's!!!!!
And we've been waiting twelve yrs (12) for the "potable" water were were promised!!!!

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
Great thread.

I would like to export fruit and vegetables from the Dominican Republic to Toronto Canada.
I haven't seen Dominican produce on sale here,but I have seen passion fruit(chinola) from Columbia at $2.95 each,and golden pineapples at $6.00. from Panama The Dominican pineapple I ate was a lot juicer and sweeter (pan de asucar) I think its called.(please excuse my spelling).
Any suggestions.
Thanks, Terry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Terry: Export of perishibles is a very risky business. #1 Problem will be to find out who is going to receive your produce there in Canada.
#2. Find out what are the Canadian regulations for produce imprt.

#3 Find out who is going to be your wholesaler. Whjat good does it do you to have 6 refrigerated trailers sitting in Toronto if you don't have anyone to get them to the supermarkets.??

Do your homework, get your capital secured-this is mostly a money against shipping documents proposition, and often times the financing of your own fields- and line up your markets.

Then get back to me.... Latest delight on Dominican offer sheet? Organics--bananas, all sorts of fruits, even coffee....

HB

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can't help much Terry but I live (summertime) in North Bay just a little north of Toronto. I shop at A&P and buy Dominican "Scotch Bonnet", eggplant,yucca and some herbs.
I would imagine they are brought in by someone and sold through the Ontario Food Market Terminal in Toronto (you can see it from the Gardiner Expressway). You might check there for more info or post your query to the "Business" forum here.

CES

Jan 1, 2002
Coffee? Did somebody say coffee?

^^^ "Then get back to me.... Latest delight on Dominican offer sheet? Organics--bananas, all sorts of fruits, even coffee.... HB" ^^^

Hi HB,

Your mention of organic coffee rings a bell . . . as an addicted espresso consumer I'm compelled 'rerun' the following:

Julia Alvarez & mobrouser . . .

Customarily I have the radio set to a PBS station (NO intrusive commercials) and was pleasantly surprised when they announced the next segment would be an interview with writer Julia Alvarez. The interview covered her new novel "A Cafecito Story". In the piece she talked about the organic coffee farming enterprise she and her husband are part of in the DR. The following URL's will take you to NPR and have the information needed to hear the interview with Ms. Alvarez. You'll need to do a key word search.

http://www.toddshow.org/

http://www.npr.org/about/programs/allnprprograms.html

"* Coffee is essential to Central America's economy, and North America's society. Writer Julia Alvarez talks with Todd about coffee as caffeinated lifeline for Americans and a major means of sustinance for Dominican coffee farmers, and how coffee links the two regions. She discusses coffee's role in traditions. Her book is "A Cafecito Story". *"

(C) NPR 2002

regards,

. . . CES"

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
27% Increase

In the cost of basic necessities like rice,onions,detergent and 8 other items from April 2001 to March 2002.......and yet the newspapers posted the report from gov't sources that inflation was only.04% for the month of Feb.
Who do they think their kidding????
Certainly not the "damas de casa" who only make 1500 -2000 pesos a month and have to support their entire family. What are they supposed to eat? Dirt!!!

But congress can "borrow" 38.7 Million American Dollars to build a hospital for 200 legislators and their families........
Wake up Dominican friends.......Why are you letting this happen???