DR the highest death rate in moto accidents in AL

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
[video=youtube;NkU8NrCRRt4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkU8NrCRRt4[/video]
A very inexperienced rider, no gear, a chintzy helmet, etc.. Dude was all over the road. He never picked a line and held it, looking through the curve.

He was riding over his head-even if going fairly slow-and got "focus freeze": he panicked and looked directly to where he ended up crashing.

A motorcycle will pretty much go where you look.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
looks like this dude has the same sense of balance as i do: none. when cycling i would often space out and on the curve i would go straight into a ditch. it's a miracle i learnt how to drive. but i least my mind does not drift away when i am in a car...

Aug 6, 2006
Even a chintzy helmet is far better than none at all.

I guess he must have spaced out when he got to the curve.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Even a chintzy helmet is far better than none at all.
Some, but hardly much.

40% of motorcycle accidents head injuries are to the face/jaw. Very few are on the crown. That guy had no face protection.

A bad helmet gives an inexperienced rider a false sense of security.

He didn't space out. He rode right to where he was looking. Very common "focus freeze"...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
mine was on the crown, 15 'dominican' stitches...... no helmet.
Here is a statistical compilation of motorcycle head injuries:

helmetcrashdiagram.gif

Here is a helmet from a guy who crashed on tour:

IMG_0903Small_zps9f732b82.jpg

Understand the risks before choosing riding gear.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no different than other falls then: mostly on the face. reminds me of a friend, who recently tripped and tried to break the fall ("not the face! not the face!") by twisting her body. as a result she displaced 2 discs and pelvis. rehabilitation for weeks to come.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
thanks for the link, I feel 'special' i was in the 0.4%.............

actually, I was really lucky not to lose a leg or die on the spot. I crashed into a guy who decided to do a 'u'turn in front of me, I was doing about 50mph coming up the road from sosua towards la union, just wearing t-shirt, shorts and crocs. when i hit him my bike (apache) crushed my right leg against his jeepeta. I took a BIG hit just under my groin as the momentum of my body threw me forwards into the handlebars. That hit just ripped the muscle and a nerve. Then I flew off the bike and rolled around a bit on the gravel. all my right shin was cut open down to my foot, all my right toes were broken. Thank goodness the foot peg broke off or I may have lost a foot.

so I kinda deserved it.

All bikers know that it is only a matter of time.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, i am glad you came out of that relatively well. it always amazes me to see men riding bikes in shorts and t-shirts. i imagine how they are dragged or thrown on the asphalt/gravel and all they skin is just shredded off. :(

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
wow, i am glad you came out of that relatively well. it always amazes me to see men riding bikes in shorts and t-shirts. i imagine how they are dragged or thrown on the asphalt/gravel and all they skin is just shredded off. :(

thats pretty much what happened.my shorts were pretty much ripped off, my backpack was some fifty feet away from me, i was covered in road rash, and I had suffered a 3 inch tibia plateau fracture also.

a couple of nice chaps picked me up and threw me onto a pickup truck with the chickens and took me to CMC who fixed me up. There was blood everywhere as my head was gushing. It was altogether an unpleasant and unnecessary experience.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
thanks for the link, I feel 'special' i was in the 0.4%.............

actually, I was really lucky not to lose a leg or die on the spot. I crashed into a guy who decided to do a 'u'turn in front of me, I was doing about 50mph coming up the road from sosua towards la union, just wearing t-shirt, shorts and crocs. when i hit him my bike (apache) crushed my right leg against his jeepeta. I took a BIG hit just under my groin as the momentum of my body threw me forwards into the handlebars. That hit just ripped the muscle and a nerve. Then I flew off the bike and rolled around a bit on the gravel. all my right shin was cut open down to my foot, all my right toes were broken. Thank goodness the foot peg broke off or I may have lost a foot.

so I kinda deserved it.
Oh, wow! Condolences, Dave.

It sounds like proper protective gear would have saved you a LOT of agony...

davetuna said:
All bikers know that it is only a matter of time.
"Dress for the fall, not for the ride."

Words for motorcyclists to live by...

I feel ~nekkid~ getting on a bike without full gear...

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
ironically, in the UK i wore all the gear EVERY time for 20 years........never needed it! I loved my jacket with all my armor........

my $400 helmet, my sexy boots, my supercool kevlar gloves..............rode all year round, never had a accident....

here, just nip out for ten minutes and--BANG.......

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
ironically, in the UK i wore all the gear EVERY time for 20 years........never needed it! I loved my jacket with all my armor........

my $400 helmet, my sexy boots, my supercool kevlar gloves..............rode all year round, never had a accident....

here, just nip out for ten minutes and--BANG.......
And the lesson learned is...?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Where I come from those helmets are known as quitamultas - the only thing they'll protect you from is the fine.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
New riders try to "Steer" the bike with their hands, can't be done!
You soon learn to steer by leaning your body in the direction you want to go.
I had a "Chopper",..."Back-In-The-Day"!
The ONLY way to steer it was by "Leaning".
"I was "SooooooooooooooooKKKKKKKKKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" back then!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC