Dr vs mexico

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
PlantaFULL said:
You are correct, comparisons like these always depend on personal experiences and what one considers to be "cheap". In much of FL housing is still a avail for around 200k, an amount that is very much in line with what apartments in Santo Domingo cost nowadays. Santiago real estate is generally 20+ % cheaper then the capital.

Since you mentioned that you have been in Brasil as well, I don't have to tell you that in places like Fortaleza and Natal you get damn close to a "beira mar" 1 per floor penthouse with 200k, something that on the malecon here does cost 4x the amount.

So compared to the USA and much of Europe the DR maybe cheap, when comparing it to other countries with similar social, life-style, infra-structure factors the DR however is way expensive if you ask me. Comparing it to other carribean islands on the other hand... no way.

From the places you mentioned as far as Brazil.... predominantly a tour's trap. They do not even come close to real Brazil just like Rio and SP for culture and your best bang for the buck. Just a little insight, look at places like sao luis,joao pessoa... very cheap, safe, 24-hour electric, public transportation, airport, and great seafood along with hospitality. And also $50,000 will buy you a nice set up close to the beach and also good schools for your children.

Personally I like the DR lot, for the people that heritage and many other things...... but there's a lot other places to look at.;)

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
easygoin said:
From the places you mentioned as far as Brazil.... predominantly a tour's trap.

I am aware, I grew up in Belo Horizonte :) I mentioned the NE cities since those are the closest comparison candidates to the DR in terms of climate and lifestyle... And with that background, the DR realestate to me is in a 1st world price category. I love it here too tho.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
I guess we all think the grass is greener

PlantaFULL said:
I am aware, I grew up in Belo Horizonte :) I mentioned the NE cities since those are the closest comparison candidates to the DR in terms of climate and lifestyle... And with that background, the DR realestate to me is in a 1st world price category. I love it here too tho.

I myself just love Brazil. I cannot think of a better feeling then getting off the airplane in Rio and head elsewhere in the country.... just gorgeous and I'll never see the whole country in my lifetime... sad.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
There are a few misconceptions in this thread. Comparisons are dangerous if you don't compare apples with apples. The classifications came into being as necessary for trade, and for purposes of harmonization of import and export tariff schedules, and not necessarily as a indictment on a country. So, 3rd world may mean undeveloped in terms of global trade (paperwork, computers), but does not necessarily mean a bad place. Development is a term that is just too open to interpretation.

From the Wikipedia (and I think this is the correct information)
According to the United Nations Statistics Division:
<dl><dd>In the United Nations system there is no established convention for the designation of "developed" and "developing" countries or areas. In common practice, Japan in Asia, Canada and the United States in North America, Australia and New Zealand in Oceania, and Europe are considered "developed" regions or areas. In international trade statistics, the Southern African Customs Union is also treated as a developed region and Israel as a developed country; and countries of eastern Europe and the former U.S.S.R. countries in Europe are not included under either developed or developing regions.</dd></dl>The Dominican Republic is usually categorised under the SIDS category - Small Island Developing States.

Last edited:

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
easygoin said:
FOR 300,000 ... I'll put you in the 1800 square-foot home on a golf course subdivision 2 miles from the ocean in sunny Florida BRAND NEW.... if you have any friends let me know.

I have no doubts about what you're saying! Down south most things are cheap.

The Maryland,D.C./Northern Virginia areas are the cesspools of OVERPRICED housing! It's trying to become more like the NYC/NJ/CT tristate area.

Safado

Jun 13, 2006
PlantaFULL said:
You are correct, comparisons like these always depend on personal experiences and what one considers to be "cheap". In much of FL housing is still a avail for around 200k, an amount that is very much in line with what apartments in Santo Domingo cost nowadays. Santiago real estate is generally 20+ % cheaper then the capital.

Since you mentioned that you have been in Brasil as well, I don't have to tell you that in places like Fortaleza and Natal you get damn close to a "beira mar" 1 per floor penthouse with 200k, something that on the malecon here does cost 4x the amount.

So compared to the USA and much of Europe the DR maybe cheap, when comparing it to other countries with similar social, life-style, infra-structure factors the DR however is way expensive if you ask me. Comparing it to other carribean islands on the other hand... no way.

Well, I can say that the DR is definately more expensive than Brazil, despite Brazil being the wealthier country. Food is cheaper, and so is transportation to a degree.
Yes, I've heard though, that the DR is generally cheaper than the other Caribbean islands......

I will admit that the DR is generally safer.

Last edited:

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Safado said:
I will admit that the DR is generally safer.

I agree it feels safe after having lived here for 2 years. When I first arrived tho, I have to say the "look" of the DR got me worried. The "iron bars" on every window, every balcony, hell I even see caged AC's and Tinacos, give a wrong impression at first. Especially if one comes from a another country that supposedly has a higher crime rate and more violent criminality like Brasil or Mexico... countries in which most people associate such bars with ghetto or favela-bordertown.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Well, getting back to DR vs Mexico, I think both countries have their positive and negative aspects. Life can be pleasant in both countries for many people. When it comes to cities to see, Mexico beats most other Latin countries, including architecture and cultural heritage, both Hispanic and Pre- Hispanic. After all, Mexico use to be a viceroyalty of the Spanish Empire. Today it is hard to tell which is more affordable. In Mexico it depends on the region. DR is smaller and its cities are more recent, at least when it comes to architecture and style. When it comes to natural scenery and beauty, perhaps DR is more striking, the same goes for Cuba and other more tropical countries, but even Mexico has its verdant areas and valleys. One aspect I have heard discussed by many US citizens living in Mexico is the very good quality and affordability of health care there. I think that in that field Mexico is ahead of DR. One thing to watch now is the final outcome of the elections in Mexico and wheather they will be followed by political and economic instability or democratic acceptance of its results.

For many US citizens, Mexico is closer than DR, for others who live on the East Coast, DR is a more convenient destination.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Nals, I deleted your post because it does not fit ... I deleted all references that do not fit, yours, as well as mine - we don't want to bore the readers with off-topic issues. I'll come back on pm...

Last edited:

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Being a beach lover and an investor in the DR, I am surprised that no one has compared beaches, beach access, beach close to civilization between the 2 countries. I have been to both countries and find the beaches in the DR much cleaner and easier access on the north coast of DR. Again Mexico is a big country. I have heard that you just can't swim on many beaches in Mexico because of pollution. Anyways, I'd be interested to hear a beach comparison between the 2. Keep up this good thread!

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
Definitily if you compare Mexico City with Santo Domingo, Mexico will have more things to do and see, the city has a population of 10 Millions, whole Dominican Republic has 9.1 Millions and Santo Domingo only arround 3 millions.