DR1 needs your help!

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Rob

I appreciate the work you guys have put in to this site. My only real gripe is similar to some of the others and in fact just happeneed. I signed on this morning and there were 63 new posts. We had a power outage (rare for here). When I signed back on there were 7 new posts. Now I either have to search through the threads to find the unread ones or just catch them when they come up with more new posts. Isn't ther a way to show all unread posts instead of "new posts since last visit"? to me that would definately be better.

Thanx

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
All my suggestions I had emailed to you before. I hope they didn't end in the trash bing. The boards pretty much work fine. Once in a while something happens.

Somebody already mentioned that one cannot quote from another post because one's owns post doesn't show. You haven't finished working on the profile, you said you were going to include a "tag line" so one could insert a favorite quote or so. Not that it is so important, but I like goodies. How about those smilies that you were going to add?

The rest of the website is looking pretty nice too and the content is excellent. More pictures won't hurt, and the media section was a good idea. I would also suggest a directory of services where people could add reviews. People come here constantly asking about doctors, surgeons, dentists, etc.

And BTW, I learnt to live with the colors, but I still don't like'em too much. But overall I would give you guys a B+. :D

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Colors... we did soften the colors thanks to your strong recommendation back then. The change is subtle, that's why you don't notice the difference, but the effect is there. We had debated about the colors and thanks to your emphatic suggestions, Robert was able to solve the problem by adding the necessary shades that softened the colors. We do appreciate reader feedback and take readers opinions seriously. That's why we ask.

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
overall the board is waaaay cool!

I second what El Jefe says above. Somtimes, I don't stop in to check the posts unless I'm sure I'll have time to read all of them; because if I don't get a chance to go through them all at that time, I know I won't be able to find them when I come back later.

Another thought: How about adding some guidelines or terms of usage? Would this eliminate some of the apparent confusion for what's acceptable and what's not? Clearly stated rules (I know they've been posted in various forum threads before -- but up front when a person signs up for a user name, maybe) that tell what will lead to deleted posts and closed threads. Then no one can say they don't understand if they've accepted the terms of use when they signed up, you can just refer them back to that...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
mobrouser:
Archive search by user name is not possible. These are messages from the old board and the user names are not compatible.

Link list is really a top list. Basically you need to send one hit to DR1 to get ranked. As we send so much more traffic to these other sites than what they send us, we thought it far to ask for just one surfer back to get listed. The list is reset every 24hrs.

El Jefe:
Cookies are cookies, every time you log on, your served a new cookie. Not much I can do if you log off, sorry.

Pib:
I used to like you :)
The quote problem is being worked on, trust me.
Tag line issue will be resolved when I do the next board upgrade.
Smiles I'm not so sure, lets see....

We pretty much know what the board requires and how to make it better. What we would like to hear is how to make the site better, not just the message board.

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Jim...

Robert said:
At the bottom is an icon and link

[ Show a Printable Version ]

This allows you to display a printable version of the thread.

Is that what your talking about?

That is the "format" I'm talking about, yes. But the real issue is that if I want to print the only 5 posts I haven't read so I can take them with me:

Click on "VIEW NEW POSTS"
5 threads will come up.

A) I click on thread 1.

B) If it is a long thread, the post I want to read isn't even on the page I'm taken to. Click on "first unread post"

C) Click on show a printable version.
(it still shows me the entire thread. All I wanted was the post.).

D) Back button 3 times.

Repeat steps A-D for the other 4 posts.

Over 30 clicks with waits between each click and the best I can get is a print of the entire threads, not just the new posts.

Now imagine there are 40 unread posts and I don't have time to sit on-line and read them so I want to print them. Now we are talking about 240 clicks with a wait between each click. My output will contain 40 threads, not 40 posts, so I'll probably have to print hundreds of pages as well.

Last edited:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Making the site better

More timely posting of news would be nice. Also extended coverages.
Perhaps a list of contact numbers or addresses for government offices, embassies, places of interest (like the National theatre).
Maybe a map showing things like Alto de Chavron, some of those caves we're trying to get Dolores to tell us how to find, Columbus Lighthouse,etc.
A nice eyecatching photo on the home page (maybe an arial or satellite of the island) so people immediately recognize where they've landed.
I'll let you know when I think of more.......

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I vote SAMANA1 off....

Rob, I don't think you need advice from someone who doen't have an original idea himself. I do have some advice to him though...stop using others efforts to build your pages.

Sorry Rob, I flamed...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Jim....

I'm on it. Some things will not be possible, but I will do the best I can to make all happy and give you all the bells and whistles.

Robert

Take all with a grain of salt if it can be done GREAT, if it cant so be it. Board is #1 in all the forums I visit, which is many. RETIRED you know. LMAO
I setup an offline chatroom as not to use your bandwidth and have had some traffic, I wish you could join use some morning at 7 am est.

www.paltalk.com for free software,
groups Miscellaneous
DR1 online is the room name no password has been set.
Hope you dont mind me using DR1 as a chat room name.

Another thing, I am getting sick of are the posts I see by those f...ing spammers who steal copyright data and build websites, I can build one easy but I do not want to infringe on anyones property or rights. Time has come to cut the thread, one particluar has about 4 email address' and posts under various names, that is not Kosher. I placed an email address for the original pic gallery and what I got from him was nothing but f...ing virus laden emails. He hasnt seen the last of me.

But that is my problem and I'll look after that.

Keep up the good work.

Hlywud

Pepe

Jan 1, 2002
I have an idea for the entire site. Since the board is cookie dependent, it could be customized to display a nice picture whenever a poster arrives, just like having your own page. I belong to the AI group, so I?d like a picture of Punta Cana, and may I suggest a picture of El Monumento for azb. For tw, an aerial view of Elias Pi?a, looking west towards the majestic Massif du Nord.

Also, the software should be enabled to sense the level of animosity between posters. Whenever it turns into name-calling and things of that sort, a subliminal message should appear flashing rapidly ? I should not waste bandwidth!. This in turn will save a lot of explaining to the webmaster since from that point on threads won?t have to be closed so unceremoniously.
There?s a lot more where this came from, but I think this will keep the masters busy for a while.
I'll be back with more!

Pepe
Brandywine, PA

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Virus Laden Email???

I wonder if that is where the ones I've received today came from. Good thing I've got an good , up-to-date email checker. It deletes the things before I even know their there!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
[B]Dolores[/B] said:
We do... take readers opinions seriously. That's why we ask.
I am sure you do. I know you changed the colors a bit, thanks God, otherwise I couldn't have put up with them.

Actually althought I spent a couple of hours a day on the net this is the site where I spend the most times. There's always something I haven't yet read. But I think you should be more concerned about promotion. I never heard of DR1 until after a friend pointed me in this direction. I would bet that my friend also found out via word of mouth. Obviously residents are not your target but I am sure that if you build up a considerable community of "residents" you will become more interesting to potential buyers of advertising space.

And yes, I am sure that you can do better in advertising, there are few websites about DR this complete, I can only think of another one, and that one wins because it belongs to the tourism ministry and they have plenty pictures and lots of colors. But when it comes to content you win hands down. I think your site looks very clean and downloads fast and easy, don't overdo in the pictures but think of adding something that looks Dominican in your homepage.

I haven't been around that long (only about a year) but I have seen that the site is getting better over time. I am excited about what's to come. You've put a lot of love in this site, it shows. I think I will reconsider it and see if I can upgrade you to an A-.
:D Do you like me now Rob? Please say yes! Please! Please!

bobnoxious

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 2, 2002
Perhaps

you could add an area with DR radio and TV links. Also, a language area would be cool...like idioms or Dominicanisms and some good translation/dictionary links.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
???Recipes???

I 've seen a few posted and maybe we should have a forum for such so we can take the great tastes of the DR back to our native lands. Especially with so much Dominican produce showing up in our supermarkets! (Even if it still tastes better here!!)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Media Gallery

I like the media gallery...I think it will grow to be huge...But...Is there a way that you can make it so that when you go in you can tell if any new material has been added to a particular thread (Photos, videos, etc). That way you wouldn't have to actually go into each one to see if there's something new...

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Just a suggestion.......and maybe a question.
I had a thread deleted today....don't know why unless it was because I mentioned Tom the Banned......... I don't even know who he was....I guess he was banned before my time.
Anyway he was keeping the chat room open on Paltalk this morning......not saying anything was just there all by himself to keep the room open. I thought it was I nice thing to do.
Anyhow when I posted a thread to let people know the room was still open and used his name in the thread name it was deleted.
Perhaps when a thread is deleted a notice could be sent to the originator to let them know it's gone and why......